Dallas Independent School District Reviews in Texas | Glassdoor

Dallas Independent School District Texas Reviews

Updated April 10, 2017

Texas

Pros
Cons
  • Lack of communication of District's teacher evaluation system (in 7 reviews)

• Absolutely no support from administration, admin have very little compassion or empathy for students or teachers, micromanagement by admin (in 7 reviews)

"Teaching will be the least of your worries...."

Current Employee - Elementary Bilingual School Teacher in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Elementary Bilingual School Teacher in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Dallas Independent School District (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good salary, great vacations and unique experience with students from different backgrounds.

Cons

Too much stress on the student's, curriculum does not make sense. Administration and Executive Directors are on you all the time. No space to growth, and so much supervision makes you feel like a student, not a professional educator.

2. "Instructional Specialist"

Current Employee - Instructional Specialist in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Instructional Specialist in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Dallas Independent School District full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The semi-flexible work schedule. The ample vacation time. The work-life balance.

Cons

The upper management in the Department of Teaching and Learning does not properly manage budget or employee skills. People are interviewed and hired for one job, then you end up doing another that you are not prepared to do. If you demonstrate that you know what you are talking about, the upper management becomes intimidated, and may bully you or transfer you to another department. There is also little opportunity for career advancement, because nepotism is common place.

Advice to Management

Value who works for you, and know what their skills are.

3. "Decent Base Pay, In a District Trying to Improve"

Current Employee - Teaching in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Teaching in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Dallas Independent School District full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Vacation time off, Base Pay, Opportunity for changing lives

Cons

Need some TEI tweaks, I'm all for paying teachers that are doing their job but the TEI system can use some fine tuning in various aspects

5. "Important work, flaky bosses"

Current Employee - Principal Analyst in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Principal Analyst in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Dallas Independent School District full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Public education in a large urban environment is very important and necessary work. There is a lot of job satisfaction in helping kids get out of a bad life and into a better one-- those who want to, of course.

Cons

The Board of Trustees is a dysfunctional mess. At the higher levels, politics is rampant and turnover is very high. Which means every few years, everything you've been building is likely to be dismantled and replaced with something new... which will also be replaced right about the time when it was beginning to bear fruit.

Advice to Management

None

6. "Teacher in Dallas ISD"

Current Employee - Teacher in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Teacher in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Dallas Independent School District full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You get to work with wonderful students who appreciate you.

Cons

The principals are horrible!!! If they do not like you, they will do anything they can go sabotage you and your observations. The high school I work at now is one of the largest in the district and our principal told us she think the school demographics should match the teacher demographics and it's not. So we need less African Americans and more Hispanic teachers. So after that comment, I will not return to this school.

Advice to Management

Do background checks on principals and assistant principals and stop letting the principals hire their friends

7. "Teacher/Coach"

Current Employee - Head Coach/Teacher in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Head Coach/Teacher in Dallas, TX

Pros

Good Pay, proximity to good area, athletes care about future

Cons

Crowded Classrooms, high percentage of students don't speak English, no language assistance in classroom, little to no technology for staff use, data driven instead of student driven.

Advice to Management

Find out what teachers need

8. "Teacher"

Former Employee - Teacher in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Teacher in Dallas, TX

I worked at Dallas Independent School District full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Kids make everything worth it, you know you are making a difference

Cons

Advice to Management

We need transformational change that is based in the wellbeing of students.

9. "Assistant Principal"

Current Contractor - Assistant Principal in Dallas, TX
    Current Contractor - Assistant Principal in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Dallas Independent School District as a contractor (More than 10 years)

Pros

There are a lots of employment opportunities in Dallas ISD. You have the ability to move up if you work hard. The district has many initiatives to enhance the learning experiences of the students. Their has been a system set in place to compensate educators for their hard work.

Cons

With all of the initiatives and changes being set in place it is hard to know what route you should be taking at times. Although there is an attempt to compensate employees for there work, it seems almost impossible to complete all that is asked to receive those raises.

Advice to Management

Let the employees become proficient in one area before implementing something else. There needs to be some adjustments to the TEI process so that is doesn't seem impossible for an employee to accomplish DTR status.

10. "School Monitor"

Former Employee - Texas in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Texas in Dallas, TX

I worked at Dallas Independent School District full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You get to work with children and help them become better students.

Cons

The administration is very unfair. Because the district is so large I felt like no one cared when I had problems. No one would listen, it was not personable.

Advice to Management

Pay people better. Create a feeling of caring.

11. "teacher"

Former Employee - Teacher, Secondary School in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Teacher, Secondary School in Dallas, TX

I worked at Dallas Independent School District full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Salaries are competitive, but the cost of living is also higher.

Cons

This is the most negative environment in which I've ever taught.

Advice to Management

Remember that you were a teacher once.