Dallas Morning News Reviews | Glassdoor

2.7
Dallas Morning News CEO & Publisher James M. Moroney III
James M. Moroney III

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Great company culture and lots of good people to work with" (in 7 reviews)

• "great people, good hours, easy work" (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • "Employees often feel they must keep their mouths closed if they disagree about something for fear of being retaliated against" (in 3 reviews)

• "I honestly thought if any newspaper could turn it around, it would be DMN" (in 11 reviews)

1. "Digital producer"

I have been working at Dallas Morning News full-time

Pros

Staff enrichment and attention to progressive learning.

Cons

Commute, not the best hours.

Advice to Management

None. It's fighting the good fight.

2. "Account Executive"

I worked at Dallas Morning News full-time

Pros

Oldest company in TX with very strong brand recognition. Very large family feel to the company with great perks in advertising sales such as tickets and access to local events. New downtown location is a major upgrade from the old location.

Cons

Selling advertising is tough and as a rep it is very easy to get "pigeon holed" as the same ole' paper product - even with rebranding to DMNmedia and now Belo Media Group. The most recent rebrand to BMG and new mgmt (A. Draper) the future does seem better than it did previously. Overall a good company.

3. "Belo Media Group- A Terrible Place to Be"

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Dallas Morning News full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Too few to notate or list

Cons

- Extremely liberal, concessions made for the wrong people
    - Favoritism from President- keeps hiring incapable friends
    - no direction- no clue where they are from or where they are going
    - low level employees are very entitled-- involved in decisions because liked by President and management
    - HR is useless -- on fridge of reverse discrimination, wont address issues
    - Account Executive pay is low-- don't count on any commission- business too hard
    - Horrific culture

Advice to Management

- Change management and President
    - Pay Account Executives better- higher salaries, less based on commissions
    - Dissolve the overrated integrated (catalyst) roles
    - better benefits
    - need parking alternatives
    - start over!!

4. "Horrific place to work"

Current Employee - Sales in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Sales in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Dallas Morning News full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Brand recognition of Dallas Morning News

Cons

Constant identity crisis; Dallas Morning News, DMN Media, Belo+
    New President & management team for sales are fickle; make no bones about who they favor.
    Huge lack of trust & confidence from sales & support.
    President often makes veiled threats. “I watch all of you. Y’all don’t think I know what you’re talking about but I do.”

Advice to Management

Grant Moise needs to revisit sales side, pay close attention to comments from exit interviews.

"Sales"

Former Employee - Account Executive in Dallas, TX

I worked at Dallas Morning News full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great coworkers. Good mix of ages, genders, backgrounds. Lots of products to offer which can at times be overwhelming. Good credibility and history.

Cons

The company is not sure of its direction. They mention at every meeting that print is dead yet they depend on and constantly want to increase the sales in print. They are the same as other companies in digital- they do not know how it all works but insist they are the company to work with. Support staff is not supportive-they are very slow to get things done. Training was terrible- no trainer on board, they focus on peer training. Very hard on peers since they are not trainers and receive no compensation for doing so. Unrealistic goals that 75% of the team never achieves. Management runs around trying to look like they know what they are doing, but they clearly do not. Emphasis is not on sales but on Salesforce documentation, yet all reps are responsible for Sales results. Some good managers, some run things like a call center. Have seen reps get reprimanded for not reaching Salesforce documentation goals yet are making sales. Often think that company goal was just to load up leads and then layoff. Many layoffs continue on advice of outside consultants. They just can’t seem to figure it out.

Advice to Management

Get your priorities straight. Is it Sales or documentation? Set realistic goals, since making money is what motivates salespeople. Encourage teamwork and communication. Stop requesting duplicating reports and taking up so much time on reports that constantly say the same thing.

6. "Passion keeps me here"

Pros

People within the newsroom are very kind but industry struggles are hard. It’s a great paper to work at and everyone has a collaborative spirit.

Cons

Management doesn’t appear to have a strategy to invest in its newsroom anymore. The transition to Gatehouse seems to really be hurting the product.

"Transparency At Its Best!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Dallas Morning News full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The dedicated and loyal employees.

Cons

I used to believe in the future of this company, and in senior management, but now I'm not so sure I believe in either.

Senior management, or "The Fab 5" as they call themselves, is so far out of the loop it's pathetic. That goes for ALL of Sr. Management. The fourth floor, (HR included) NEVER walks the floor, or make themselves visible unless it's a mandatory employee meeting. Some are approachable, but you can tell they don't care. Some are more concerned about what they might miss out on while you are in their office than take the time to hear what we are saying. What's the point?

At the last employee meeting, the President stood in front of the staff and announced, "Effective immediately, several members of the management team were no longer with the company." As she proceeded to state the managers' names, you could hear a pin drop. I think everyone was in shock. I do believe some of the people were warranted, but definitely, not all. The thing that doesn't make a lot of sense is there didn't seem to be a transition from the managers who were laid off. That doesn't seem very smart. Now the burden will lie on us AE's. We will become mini-managers and get zero compensation for our dedication and loyalty. How's that for transparency?

Funny thing is the people who took over the existing teams don't even want that extra responsibility. They are just too afraid to say something for fear of losing their job.

Advice to Management

Time to stop listening to the wrong people, take time to look in the mirror and stand by your words.

8. "Not bad for a newspaper company"

I worked at Dallas Morning News full-time

Pros

Good people, strong role in community and sense of mission.

Cons

Low pay and pay inequities, benefits are unimpressive

9. "It's OK"

Former Employee - Wire Editor in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Wire Editor in Dallas, TX

I worked at Dallas Morning News full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good people to work with.

Cons

They tend to low-ball in negotiations.

10. "Overall good company"

Former Employee - Account Coordinator in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Account Coordinator in Dallas, TX

I worked at Dallas Morning News (More than 5 years)

Pros

Very Well known company, great location and public transportation access, great people to work with and adverting and marketing products reaches all markets

Cons

Management is too Focused on increasing sales and revenue but not staffed to maintain them. A lot of company restructuring

Advice to Management

Change is not always good, restructure ad ops to meet sales team expectations.