Dallas Museum of Art Reviews

Rating Trends Rating Trends
John R. Eagle

1. "Gallery Attendant"

I worked at Dallas Museum of Art full-time

Pros

fine art all day. good benifits

Cons

standing all day/ work on sundays

2. "Manager"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Worth, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Worth, TX

I worked at Dallas Museum of Art full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Visitors, security guards, parking, and store

Cons

Favoritism and no support and dismal budgets

Advice to Management

Attend programs at the museum

3. "eyes open"

Pros

Great schedule manager, great VS Director, great art, great location, good benefits

Cons

Security Supervisors have intimate contact with attendants, Security hide so they don't have to patrol, office level employees treat you as you don't belong on their levels

Advice to Management

Equality for all

5. "Favoritism Shows"

Former Employee - Gallery Attendant in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Gallery Attendant in Dallas, TX

I worked at Dallas Museum of Art full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

¤Diverse staff that are fun to talk to ¤Interesting events ¤Get to be around art all day ¤Free garage parking

Cons

Where do I begin? They use a temp agency and basically tell you that you are disposable. The scheduling coordinator and one of the gallery attendant supervisors are related so they hire their family then give them all of the hours. I was fired for speaking up for myself after one of their family members had the audacity to insult me and humiliate other co workers in the middle of a private charity event. They covered it up as "attendance issues" when I was late maybe a few times the whole time I was employed there. Supervisors are also extremely lacking in communication. I was told by 2 that a jacket I was wearing was appropriate for work while 1 (the one with the family member.. go figure) said it wasn't. If you plan on trying to help new people don't bother you will be scolded and told you can't speak to anyone. If you are a person of color however your job is secured for life no matter if you're on the phone 24/7, always out of uniform or disrespectful. Believe me I have had a guest tell me a fellow gallery attendant flat out told her he hates his job and art Guess what happened to him? Promotion. Also, don't bother requesting a certain day off for a dr appointment or anything else they will approve it and still put you on the schedule even after reminding them.

Advice to Management

Supervisors please get on the same page! It's so unprofessional and HR stop this family that is running your establishment into the ground.

6. "They care more about DMA friends than DMA staff"

Former Employee - Coordinator in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Coordinator in Dallas, TX

I worked at Dallas Museum of Art full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The opportunities to see fabulous art, lectures, speakers, and attend museum functions. Some of the perks from arts district neighbors were nice too.

Cons

The work environment is so negative. Over the course of my time there, my job duties changed and increased greatly. By the end I was doing all kinds of random duties that were of no interest to me. There was never a check in from HR to see if my workload was appropriate for my salary. If you want to work at the museum and hope to advance your career, be prepared to be patient. Advancement can only happen if the person ahead of you leaves.

Advice to Management

Work on morale. If I had thought that I was at least valued by the museum staff, it would have made my experience much better.

7. "It was ok."

Pros

The organization has a great reputation in the Dallas community.

Cons

The pay is not great but it is a non-proft organization with salaries that represent that status.

Advice to Management

Let your employees know that you appreciate them.

"Concerned Gallery Attendant Employee"

Current Employee - Gallery Attendant in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Gallery Attendant in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Dallas Museum of Art full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

- Easy job - Beautiful building and atmosphere - Diverse, friendly co-workers - A good job to have if you’re in need of cash while looking for something better, need part-time weekend hours, or if you’re retired

Cons

- High turnover rate. The Dallas Museum of Art now uses a staffing agency to find its gallery attendants, and literally the only requirement is that you pass a drug test. There is no actual interview, which leads to people coming in who have no visitor service skills, nor have any interest in the arts. It is not uncommon to see a new face working every other week. This makes it extremely difficult to build trust and teamwork with your co-workers. - Favoritism. There are gallery attendants who constantly leave their posts, use their phones in the galleries, and talk to other attendants while visitors are trying to enjoy their museum experience. Because they are related to veteran museum employees, they are able to get away with their actions without having to suffer any consequences. Those that have been working for the DMA for a long period of time and who were hired directly through the museum also receive beneficial treatment. They take much longer on their breaks, and instead of being scolded when they are caught talking with each other in the galleries, the supervisors turn a blind eye (or join the conversation). These ‘favorites’ often tend to get easier posts that do not require a lot of work and attentiveness. - Too many supervisors. There are currently five gallery attendant supervisors, and none of them are on the same page. Their miscommunication (and oftentimes their unprofessionalism) leads to confusion, frustration, and wrong information on the gallery floors. It is unfair to bark orders during the morning briefings, yet become nowhere to be seen or heard from for the rest of the day. Talking with other gallery attendants or security guards for hours and screaming on the radios does not mean you are doing your job. - Tiring shifts. There is no reason why a gallery attendant should be scheduled to work from 10:45 A.M. to 9 P.M. on Jazz Night Thursday, followed by a 10:45 A.M. to 12 A.M. on Late Night Fridays. I feel for those in operations, too, who oftentimes have to work an 8 A.M. to 2 A.M. shift when events are held at the museum. - Hard work goes unrewarded. Instead, you’ll be worked harder. Before the museum went free to the public, the main entryways/doors were reserved for veteran staff along with the supervisors’ favorites who got to sit all day while greeting visitors. Now that the museum is free, however, those that used to be stationed at the doors are no longer posted there. Instead, the door posts now go to gallery attendants who have good customer service skills and a strong work ethic. If you are working the doors on a late night or weekends, you will be standing all day, constantly interacting with people (hundreds if not thousands depending on the day), preventing food & drinks from entering, offering maps and directions, and signing up visitors for the DMA Friends Program. Your reward for doing a good job at the doors? Being posted there more. No pay increase, no extra lunch time or breaks, just more work. Meanwhile, the lazy, unprofessional gallery attendants will never be posted at the doors for fear of leaving a bad impression on museum visitors. - Bad work goes rewarded. If you are a gallery attendant who is rude to visitors and co-workers, makes racially insensitive comments, and constantly start arguments, you just may find yourself getting a promotion to the visitor services desk.

Advice to Management

- Be fair. You cannot selectively enforce rules on certain gallery attendants, while being lax and lenient with others (even if they are family or longtime employees). - Communicate. You need to all be on the same page when it comes to rules and changes that the museum galleries have. You need to post these rules and changes where they can be seen by all of the gallery attendants. - Be professional. Berating gallery attendants during morning briefings, over the radio, and in front of visitors doesn't do the museum any good. This simply causes anger & frustration amongst gallery attendants, and morale is killed before the gallery attendants have even started their day in the galleries. - Trim the fat. There are certain gallery attendants who constantly leave their post, talk/text on their phone, run late on their breaks, and even fall asleep at their post. This is unacceptable, and you should not be pardoned simply because you are related to a staff member that is higher up on the museum chain of command. - Reward incentives. Whether it is a pay increase, longer lunch breaks, or paid time off, you need to find a way to reward employees who go above and beyond as gallery attendants (those who are trusted enough to work the doors, be scheduled to work weddings & events, etc.)

"Great Mission - senior Management Highly Removed"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I worked at Dallas Museum of Art full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great opportunity for those passionate about art. Fulfilling work. Beautiful facility. Lots of interaction with the public.

Cons

Senior leadership has created upperclass strata that makes regular workforce feel isolated and overlooked. low compensation. No ability to save for retirement. No focus on spending money to bring in special/blockbuster exhibitions anymore.

Advice to Management

Stop isolating employee groups. The former leadership worked on a much more transparent and democratic philosophy where the staff truly felt and acted like a cohesive team. Go back to that!

"A big vision full of logistical nightmares and empty promises."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Dallas Museum of Art full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

A great mission, with some really passionate and talented people.

Cons

Horrific Management corrupts all departments that results in many ideas generated from the top but little time and effort put into working out the logistics. Transparency is a word not a practice, No review process for employees, and job duties are never properly managed, nor is compensating those that go above and beyond.

Advice to Management

Find more inspiration from within, and focus on growing the amazing talent you already have. Remove the leadership that hinders this growth, and create a clear representative path of decision making for projects and goals.

11. "Dallas Museum Of Art"

Current Employee - Galery Attendant in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Galery Attendant in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Dallas Museum of Art full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great people, great relationships and low stress

Cons

lack of direction, communication, not enough togetherness with other departments

Advice to Management

Be flexible, and move forward as a team.

RSS Feed </> Embed