Damar Services Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.6
Dr. Jim Dalton

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Not bad pay or benefits but VERY disorganized management"

Former Employee - Direct Care Technician in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Direct Care Technician in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Damar Services full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Pretty good pay and benefits, fairly easy in the CLASS portion of the company, college is not required for this company

Cons

The company seems very disorganized, management overworked and difficult to get ahold of when needed, do not listen to the needs of employees.

2. "Direct Care Staff"

Former Employee - Direct Care Staff in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Direct Care Staff in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Damar Services full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I became very close with the girls I took care of in the group home.

Cons

It is a very unsafe job. As employees at the group home, we were required to take the company van and drive children back and forth for their home visits. Oftentimes one staff member would take 2 to 4 kids at a time. Many of these children are violent and I was attacked while driving on more than one occasion.
    We were supposed to have a 2 to 4 ratio but if the kids became violent all at once, which would happen often as they egg each other on, we staff were outnumbered. I have been kicked in the face, spit on repeatedly, choked, bit, and my co-worker was even stabbed with a steak knife because another staff member let one of the kids use a steak knife and never put it up in the lock box. They tell you to call a hotline for Resource to help you, but they were often short staffed or were dealing with another crisis in the community or on campus. They push children out into the community group homes when they are extremely violent and will wait six months or more before they put a child back on campus after repeated physical aggression.

"Damar Needs to Restructure Upper Management"

Former Employee - ABA Therapist in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - ABA Therapist in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Damar Services (Less than a year)

Pros

Nice, new facility for ABA services in a great location, supervision provided

Cons

Disorganized, did not provide adequate training, unprofessional program managers. Upper management (ABA) folk are extremely disrespectful; bad for business.

Advice to Management

Clearly define each employee's respective positions in the organization. This will allow everyone to mind their own business and concentrate on their particular job.

"DSP"

Former Employee - Direct Care Tech Support in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Direct Care Tech Support in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Damar Services (Less than a year)

Pros

Gaining experience for working with children with disabilities, especially those going to school and working on their degree in this field.

Cons

The set up of facility and community living is not idea or conducive for the treatment of children.

Advice to Management

To work more efficiently with your staff by providing support, compassion and understanding, especially seeing how they are the ones working in direct contact of the children.

5. "Dirirect Care Staff"

Current Employee - Direct Care Technician in Decatur, IN
    Current Employee - Direct Care Technician in Decatur, IN

I have been working at Damar Services full-time

Pros

Working with the Staff and clients being part of a teem effort Building relationships and my personal growth while at Damar

Cons

Damar is not Supportive of their Employees the pay rate is extremely low for the work that we do in this field

Advice to Management

Advice to Management Be more supportive and professional to your employees,allow employees to be more actively involved in the decision making process

6. "Damar"

Former Employee - Human Resources Intern in Avon, IN
    Former Employee - Human Resources Intern in Avon, IN

I worked at Damar Services (More than a year)

Pros

The people are nice to work with.

Cons

low pay for the amount of work done.

7. "Great organization to work for"

I worked at Damar Services (Less than a year)

Pros

they give all the resources to their employees to succeed

Cons

i don't have anything bad to say about them since it has been a great internship

8. "Exhausting"

I worked at Damar Services full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The things this organization does for families and children are amazing. The facilities are kept very nice. Middle management works very hard for the clients.

Cons

The upper management is stuck in some kind of twilight zone where everything is sunshine and rainbows, and keep hoping with delusion that things will go back to the "Damar golden days" without any effort or change. The pay discrepancy from the top down to the direct care staff is unbelievable. The client first focus is actually hurting their employees morale because of a lack of direction and the spreading too thin of important departments like training and compliance. The lack of foresight to throw money at the right problems instead of the wrong one's is proof of the incompetent and misguided leadership steering the ship.

Advice to Management

Invest in the individuals actually changing and touching clients lives, flip the power pyramid and genuinely listen to your employees before all of them go somewhere else.

9. "Director"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Damar Services full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Colleagues at Damar are knowledgeable in their fields and always looking to improve. For example, the organization set about conducting research to demonstrate the effectiveness of alternative approaches for the specialized population. This is beyond "best practice" within the industry. Damar also uses a variety of modalities to make treatment more effective. Damar respects and values every client from the very top of the organization to the bottom of the org chart. Damar attracts some excellent staff to provide programming and management. This leads to flexibility and innovation.

Cons

Damar has not always had diversified funding streams, so this is an area that has been addressed.

"Too many Chiefs...too many underpaid Indians"

I worked at Damar Services full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Leadership is dynamic and proactive

Cons

The double-standards employed by top management wear thin; it causes divisiveness amongst the departments as they work to "one-up" one another. It does not improve performance and takes away from the limited resources available to the clients.
    Overall organizational instability and no clear plan for getting things back on track.

Advice to Management

Continue culling the dead weight as there is no place for non-performers. Hold both Directors and Managers accountable to the same standards as the Direct Care staff.