Dana-Farber Cancer Institute Reviews in Boston, MA | Glassdoor

3.9
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Laurie H. Glimcher

Pros
Cons
  • Additionally, there is little to no room for growth in entry-level Research Assistant/CRC jobs (in 7 reviews)

• Relatively low pay, weak benefits; low respect for research fellows (in 12 reviews)

1. "Good first job"

Former Employee - New Patient Coordinator in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - New Patient Coordinator in Boston, MA

I worked at Dana-Farber Cancer Institute full-time (More than a year)

Pros

This was my first "professional" job experience after graduating college. I worked in the administrative sector of the hospital, scheduling new patients. The pay was good and I enjoyed learning about the specific diseases that my patients had.

Cons

The job itself was incredibly dull. My office was a tiny windowless room that I shared with 2 other people, within a slightly larger room that was shared by 5 others. I often felt like clinicians talked down to my colleagues and I, but hey-- that's administrative jobs, I guess.

"Amazing place for patients, but not for non-clinical employees"

Former Employee - Communications in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Communications in Boston, MA

I worked at Dana-Farber Cancer Institute full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Work was inspiring and rewarding. Everyone is working toward the mission, not a big paycheck. Medical/dental/visual insurance was very good. Standard 40-our work week with very little expected on nights/weekends. Clinical staff & researchers all seem to love their jobs and be very satisfied.

Cons

No room for growth - it is rare for anyone in their 20s or 30s to stay more than 3 years. No promotions, no market value raises, no opportunities to move up into more senior roles. Very outdated style of management.

Advice to Management

Invest in young talent. Get rid of dead weight at the top, and create opportunities for growth. No one comes to Dana-Farber for a big paycheck, so treat your employees with respect and remember they are likely making half of what their peers at a for-profit or agency are making, so the work/life balance needs to compensate for that.

3. "Clinical Research Coordinator"

Current Employee - Clinical Research Coordinator in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Clinical Research Coordinator in Boston, MA

I have been working at Dana-Farber Cancer Institute full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good stepping stone job for recent college grads looking to go to med/nursing/PA school, or to go work in pharma development.

Cons

If you're looking to go to PA school, you don't get a lot of patient exposure at DFCI vs other hospitals. That being said, if you make an effort and go out of your way, you can get patient contact. I have known multiple CRCs at DFCI who left to go to PA school, and am currently applying myself.

Advice to Management

Um not really sure what this is for...if your applying to be a manager at DFCI...good luck!

5. "5 star"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brookline, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brookline, MA

I worked at Dana-Farber Cancer Institute full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Very good company, My manager and Supervisor was excellent.

Cons

I can't think of any.

"Good place, could use improvements"

Current Employee - Grants Management in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Grants Management in Boston, MA

I have been working at Dana-Farber Cancer Institute full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Flexibility with schedule, Great working environment, Positive team members

Cons

Lots of employees get recycled through different departments as they aren't performing well rather than get rid of the dead weight. They also recently decreased the health coverage and increased the weekly cost to employees.

7. "Information Systems - Clinical"

Former Employee - Documentation/Training Consultant in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Documentation/Training Consultant in Boston, MA

I worked at Dana-Farber Cancer Institute (More than a year)

Pros

If you are full time employee, the benefits are good. You are doing work at an institution that is treating cancer, how much better can you feel about their business? The buildings/working environment are fine, some extremely nice, all at least ok. These is a lot of flexibility in many roles around start/end times for your workday - in back office jobs. Many of your co-workers are smart and you don't have to waste time explaining the obvious.

Cons

Many of your co-workers have too high a level of self-regard, treat others with a bit of high-handedness. Salaries are significantly lower than in a profit-driven business. There are many layers of management/administration - some needed, some redundant. Every penny is twice-counted to point where the cost of counting becomes costly. Like any clinical setting it's a bit authoritarian, you are in a regulated environment, not doing creative work at, say Apple.

8. "Research Associate"

Current Employee - Research Associate in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Research Associate in Boston, MA

I have been working at Dana-Farber Cancer Institute full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great benefits package, employers care about making you feel comfortable

Cons

Management is disorganized, strong language barrier in in vivo work

Advice to Management

Organize projects more thoroughly, have standardized system of record keeping

9. "Great Environment for IT Professionals"

Current Employee - Software Developer in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Software Developer in Boston, MA

Pros

Great staff. Great mission. IT has their act together. Talented staff with tremendous hardware and software at their disposal.

Cons

Management changes occur too frequently.

Advice to Management

stabilize

"Motivating Place to Work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Pros

Everyone here is highly professional and generally the best in their field. In terms of cancer centers, DFCI is the very best in New England and #4 in the US according to US News and World Report. Management want you to succeed and are usually willing to empower you and let you try new things to succeed.

Cons

Not a startup environment. Working for a non profit isn't always the most fun as salaries are slow to grow and bonuses are rare.

Advice to Management

Think about a candidates career path before hiring them.

11. "Executive Assistant"

I have been working at Dana-Farber Cancer Institute full-time

Pros

I like the fact that DFCI is continuing to pursue new methods of Cancer Therapy.

Cons

Some of the Chiefs and Chairs are not manager however it is all about who you know.

Advice to Management

Learning to manage is greatly desirable. The employees will be more loyal.