Dana-Farber Cancer Institute Reviews | Glassdoor

4.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Laurie H. Glimcher

Pros
Cons
  • Due to low pay, it's not a good place to stick around for good amount of time (in 15 reviews)

• Additionally, there is little to no room for growth in entry-level Research Assistant/CRC jobs (in 7 reviews)

1. "Student Researcher"

Current Employee - Student Researcher in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Student Researcher in Boston, MA

I have been working at Dana-Farber Cancer Institute part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Working at Dana Farber as a student researcher has been an amazing experience. Friendly environment, dedication to teaching and a love of science.

Cons

HR can be annoying and there is a lot of bureaucracy to get a valid ID as a student

Advice to Management

Keep it up

2. "Admin Assistant"

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Boston, MA

I have been working at Dana-Farber Cancer Institute full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Hours, Money, Benefits, Area, Growth

Cons

Commute, Parking, Small Offices, No Maternity Leave, Expensive

3. "Great ecosystem for a Research Associate"

Former Employee - Research Associate in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Research Associate in Boston, MA

I worked at Dana-Farber Cancer Institute full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Diversity (talented coworkers from around the world), Flexibility to pursue graduate education, and the Benefits are Great!

Cons

Salary - Research Assistants/Associates do not make much money, but you do learn a lot.

5. "Love it here"

Current Employee - Clinical Research Coordinator in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Clinical Research Coordinator in Boston, MA

Pros

Great benefits, great morale, lots of room to move up

Cons

Grueling interview process, not a lot of direction

6. "Clinical Administrative Support Specialist"

Current Employee - Clinical Administrative Coordinator in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Clinical Administrative Coordinator in Boston, MA

I have been working at Dana-Farber Cancer Institute full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Discounted MBTA passes, discounts on bills including Verizon and ATT etc., some flexibility to work from , paid weekly

Cons

Time off accrues slowly - for new full time employees: 1.83 sick hours per week, 2.8 vacation hours per week, three standard floating holidays
    No institution-wide work from home policy, determined at discretion of manager
    Many administrative roles work 8.5 hour days

7. "Nice place to do science"

Current Employee - Research Fellow in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Research Fellow in Boston, MA

Pros

cutting-edge science. smart people all around you

Cons

low pay in terms of the education level. good place to gain background but not good place to stay too long. some people are rude.

8. "post doctoral researcher"

Current Employee - Postdoctoral Research Associate in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Postdoctoral Research Associate in Boston, MA

I have been working at Dana-Farber Cancer Institute part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

world-class research, incredible scientific community, and very supportive HR

Cons

none! very good working environment

9. "Not neefef"

Current Employee - No Needed in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - No Needed in Boston, MA

I have been working at Dana-Farber Cancer Institute full-time

Pros

The illusion that you are helping a great cause.

Cons

The previous review of a cut throat culture is true, the turn-around is horrendous, they will blame you for their years of miss management, there is no advancement and very very low pay

Advice to Management

Management knows there are issues, all they care about is getting more money in their pockets, sad but very true.

10. "An excellent organization truly devoted to patients and learning."

Former Employee - Clinical Research Coordinator in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Clinical Research Coordinator in Boston, MA

I worked at Dana-Farber Cancer Institute full-time (More than a year)

Pros

At DF I found talented and compassionate colleagues, positive work environment, opportunities within the organization for role changes and continued learning.

Cons

At DF no matter the area in which you work, patients are a presence on the campus. Their presence motivates your work day to day.

"Research Assistant"

Former Employee - Research Assistant in Metuchen, NJ
    Former Employee - Research Assistant in Metuchen, NJ

I worked at Dana-Farber Cancer Institute full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Tons of interesting research going on and opportunities to attend seminars from some of the smartest oncologists in the industry. Depending on what research program/physician you work for, you may have the opportunity to work on some phenomenal research projects.

Good benefits package if you aren't an expecting mother (no paid family leave for non-physician staff which frankly is deplorable coming out of a Harvard Medical School affiliate).

Cons

Maybe it's because of DFCI's affiliation with Harvard Medical School or this is just a general issue across academic medicine, but many of the physicians I worked with were incredibly arrogant. Research Assistants/Administrative Assistants are rarely asked to contribute ideas in meetings and are seen as clerks that push paperwork through the huge bureaucracy of DFCI. Additionally, the workplace culture does not encourage any camaraderie around anything including the work that you do. One of my study teams threw a Christmas party and none of the MDs that worked on the study showed up OR responded to the invitation stating that they wouldn't make it. From my experience, the MDs at DFCI do not care about the staff that work below them and only view them as a means to an end. If you're looking for a workplace where upper-manamgent sees you as something more than a list of job functions I suggest you look beyond Dana-Farber.

Additionally, there is little to no room for growth in entry-level Research Assistant/CRC jobs. The pay is abysmal- especially when compared to the salaries of the higher-ups. I was explicitly told in my interview that I would not be able to advance from my role to a higher role without having a Master's degree. Many, many of my colleagues were told this as well. This attitude makes it so that everyone at DFCI puts an expiration date on their employment. I performed worse and did not feel inspired to go the extra mile because I knew that my extra efforts would not be rewarded with promotions and/or a significant raise.

Lastly, the management structure is significantly outdated. People do not interact face-to-face on anything other than in meetings, which many physicians blow off, leave early, or are only partially present because they have so many other things going on. Other staff easily excuse the behaviors of the physicians, however I did not find their excuses to be acceptable. People would work remotely and not let their subordinates aware of their absence from the office. My simple questions would go unanswered for weeks to months at times. Then I would get reprimanded for not having the answer to the question that I had posed multiple times. DFCI needs to look to other peer-institutions and more innovative healthcare companies to think about better ways to manage their research support staff.

Advice to Management

Get up to speed with industry standards in compensation, workplace culture, and management for your entry-level staff. Invest in them and you won't have so much turnover. If someone is told in an interview that there is not room for growth at an organization, they immediately start to think about their next steps after this position. This has a trickle down effect that makes staff feel undervalued and unappreciated.