Danaher Reviews | Glassdoor

Danaher Reviews

Current Employees

1.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Danaher President and Chief Executive Officer Thomas P. Joyce, Jr.
Thomas P. Joyce, Jr.

Pros
  • Danaher Business System, company values and integrity (in 15 reviews)

• Good benefits and for the most part the culture is okay but it can be a bit demanding (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • Always on the road - work life balance is a challenge (in 21 reviews)

• Endless RIFs in pursuit of ultimate LEAN means no job security and no work life balance (in 7 reviews)

"Was great before Danaher bought us out."

Current Employee - Finance in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Finance in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Danaher full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Love love love my co-workers! My supervisor and manager are awesome but high up leadership is awful, textbook awful.

Cons

Dictatorship. No collaboration. You are just told what to do without discussion. Cut people constantly which causes training issues and you have no training because person to train is no longer there.

Advice to Management

Take some leadership and business classes. Having such a high turnover is more costly than having a sufficient number of employees. No point in doing enhancement surveys if you don't improve anything.

"Leadership Needed"

Current Employee - Technical Support Manager in Alpharetta, GA
    Current Employee - Technical Support Manager in Alpharetta, GA

Pros

Opportunity to pave your own way as there is little established currently.

Cons

Poor management team and company structure in Dexis/KavoKerr Group in Alpharetta, GA.
    Several high level managers have moved on to greener pastures. Employee Engagement is at all-time low with issues of lack of trust in leadership, poor communication and lack of innovations as the top issues.

Advice to Management

Listen to your team and get strong seasoned management. It is great to promote from within but you have the blind leading the blind.

"Great Place to work if you want no life outside of work...."

Current Employee - Orthodontic Lab Technician in Racine, WI
    Current Employee - Orthodontic Lab Technician in Racine, WI

I have been working at Danaher full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

There are really not many benefits to working for a company like Danaher. They offer a few paid vacation day, and the benefits are decent.

Cons

This is a company driven soley by numbers. They do not care about their employees or keeping their workers happy. Your daily work life will be full of charts and graphs with no hope of obtaining their outrageous sales goals.

Advice to Management

Listen to the employees! Many of the employees who have been there a substantial amount of time have great ideas and solutions to fixing the issue of morale within the company. A happy employee is a GOOD employee!

"Good for VP and above, rest all stay away!!"

Current Employee - Non-VP in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Non-VP in Boston, MA

I have been working at Danaher full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

If you are in industrials / manufacturing oriented domain, training in DBS and other processes is valuable. The brand is strong in such domains. If you are coming from other domains or would like to go to another domain, there are better places to go.

Cons

They may pay you a high salary to entice you to join, but you may not get raises or promotions. Unlike technology and other progressive companies, only executive-level people get equity in the company. There are no stock options or ESPPs. Their mantra to growth is cutting out waste. So they are always on lookout to cut people. However, in essence they are managing street's expectations. Unannounced layoffs to meet near term operating profit / other metrics are quite common across holding companies. Not much job security.

Advice to Management

Share the wealth with non-executive associates too. Treat them fairly and with respect when you layoff people.

"Hostile work environment, culture of blame"

Current Employee - Engineering in Altoona, PA
    Current Employee - Engineering in Altoona, PA

I have been working at Danaher full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

401k and retirement contributions are fine.

Cons

Turnover is extreme, average 1 salaried employee every 12-weeks. Continuous culture of blame and a very hostile environment. There is no stepping up to admit problems because there are negative repercussions to anything off plan, or any miss on "stretch" goals.

Advice to Management

Make this a place people want to work. Focus on the people and not so much the numbers. Empower the employees. Stop the blame game. Stop the micro-management. This is not healthcare, peoples lives are not in the balance. This is manufacturing, and profits are there. Stop the "stretch" goals.

"How to ruin a great company, ChemTreat, in three easy lessons"

Current Employee - District Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - District Manager in New York, NY

Pros

Name recognition and decent health benefits

Cons

The support staff has been treated like slaves. Despite meeting targets, ChemTreat refused to give the average employee a raise. Desention amongst the lower managers and their staff runs high. People are in positions of higher management without the necessary education that most companies typically require. The company was once a proud employee owned place of business that attracted the top talent in the field of water treatment. Why anyone would choose ChemTreat for their career is beyond me (except for the need for a paycheck).

Advice to Management

Get back to the basics. Remember what made ChemTreat great. Give the salesman the power to make business decisions for their territories. You are paying people of real profitability. Stop making up your own profit numbers and looking for ways to cut bonuses.

"Danaher just bought what "use to be" a great company, Beckman Coulter."

Current Employee - My Job, IT Seems, IS to Consistently Lie to Customers in Brea, CA

Pros

None to date. Complete downgrade compared to most companies. I guess you could say "its better than nothing, then again, maybe not.

Cons

Weeks after the acquisition of Beckman Coulter, they announced an 8% reduction of all employees. Even departments that are already low on personnel are losing bodies. Our benefits were cut nearly in half and the Danaher prefered medical plan is outright an insult. United Health Care, for those of you familiar with United, I dont have to explain any more.

Its obvious that Danahers intent is to squeeze Beckman Coulter for every drop its worth and do it in a very unappreciated manner. It s just a matter of time before they weed out the best employees and are left with people of the lowest morale. Within a few years the superb quality of Beckman Coulter products will be an old memory, and so will the family atmospere that filled most of our offices.

Advice to Management

It might be a good time to really start listening to employees that have true customer knowledge and stop depending on software to tell you how to run and maintain a business. There was a time when I would have taken a paycut just to keep my job because I absolutely loved going to work everyday. It was such a respectable place to work. Its not too late to get things on the right track, treat your employees with respect, and appreciate them beyond just depositing a paycheck. Make it a company that is, just not profitable, but also a great place to work and proud to be part of. It doesnt have to be such an "us versus them" workplace environment. Employees throughout the entire United States are being turned against each other from the level of competition being pushed down upon the employees. The words "unity" and "team" are used frequently by upper management, but actions speak more than words. Happy and appreciated employees build better businesses!

"This is the worst company I have ever worked for"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Orange, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Orange, CA

Pros

I have met some good people here who I know I will have lasting friendships with. I have had the opportunity to acquire experience in a number of different aspects of my field and, in doing so, have gained very valuable insight to the kind of company and department in which I want to grow old and eventually retire from.....

Cons

....and Danaher ain't it. I have not even reached the two year mark of employment with this place and am already looking for a new job. My department is so stretched to the bare bones minimum and we are so overwhelmed with the volume of our workload, that we are having trouble focusing on what our priorities are and it is often the case where tasks and deadlines fall off our plates because our plates are way too full. In spite of this, there are no plans to add headcount. The leadership within our department is nonexistant. Yes, there is a manager, directors and a VP....yet no leadership and no one with a business plan to address the needs of the department.

Advice to Management

Good employees are difficult to come by. You comment and wonder why retention is so low. Stop viewing us as expendable livestock! Yes your bottom line is important, but more important are the little people who help you acheive it. You can only take Lean Manufacturing so far before you're employees start looking elsewhere for a company who values them.

"Danaher - You’ve stripped me of benefits (insurance/bonuses/pay raises/time off) but you will never get my dignity"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Richardson, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Richardson, TX

Pros

Through Danaher’s management style, I’ve been able to observe and learn survival skills to stay afloat.

Cons

It has been approximately 2 years since being acquired by Danaher. The place where everyone was respected and wanted to work has transformed into a place of distrust and disgust. There is no longer any sense of loyalty and respect.

Advice to Management

Don’t make it so obvious that you are only out for a profit at any expense without any regards as to how it effects people. When the economy turns, you will lose good people.

"A Great Company for Select MBA's and A Tough Place to Work For Everyone Else"

Current Employee - Product Research and Development in Loveland, CO
    Current Employee - Product Research and Development in Loveland, CO

Pros

Overall, job security is fairly good. Experts at manufacturing and optimization of manufacturing space. Danaher is very process driven company. Employees with MBA's from prestigious programs (e.g. Harvard MBA programs) are highly sought after and usually move up in the corporate ladder very rapidly. It is common to see MBA new hires move to a executive positions within 24 months.

Cons

If one is hired by Danaher and does not have a prestigious MBA, the employees rarely go anywhere. Promotions are exceptionally rare, regardless of accomplishment. Only executive staff receives promotions and / or bonuses. This company in Loveland was acquired by Danaher approximately 10 years ago and Danaher has consistently stripped company assets and benefits to meet the most recent numbers short term. The profit/revenue numbers are the bottom line for everything, and the treatment of employees is of trivial importance. Over the past 10 years since the Danaher acquisition, employees have lost vacation time, lost performance bonuses, have had their retirement plans stripped by 75%, pay more in medical premiums and co-pays, have been required to take numerous furloughs, eliminated corporate sponsored education programs and rarely if ever reward for good work. Please refer to a recent Business Week article that rates the Danaher retirement plans as the worst in the industry. When compensation increases are given, they are never to the level of the cost of living. It is truly a team effort to make the numbers, but there is no incentive to stay. Employee moral is very poor and it gets worse every year.

Advice to Management

Danaher management promotes high ethics and states their employees are its greatest asset. But this is strictly lip service. Management needs to walk the talk and follow through on promises and raise the motiviation level of their employees. Management need to actively demonstrate good conduct and walk the talk. They need to change their culture and show appreciation and empathy for their employees, who are the reason why this company consistently rocks Wall Street.