Danaher Reviews | Glassdoor

Danaher Reviews

Updated May 18, 2017

1.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Danaher President and Chief Executive Officer Thomas P. Joyce, Jr.
Thomas P. Joyce, Jr.

Pros
  • Danaher Business System, company values and integrity (in 15 reviews)

• Good benefits and for the most part the culture is okay but it can be a bit demanding (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • Always on the road - work life balance is a challenge (in 21 reviews)

• Endless RIFs in pursuit of ultimate LEAN means no job security and no work life balance (in 7 reviews)

1. "Don't Dare be Sick!"

Former Employee - Executive Assistant in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Executive Assistant in Washington, DC

I worked at Danaher full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There are none that immediately come to mind.

Cons

According to HR, no employee there ever takes an unscheduled day of leave for illness or anything else ever and that someone attended a conference with a broken leg. Wow, gold star for you, martyr! It's not written down anywhere, but just know if you work there, you will be expected to carry perfect attendance outside of planned vacation days. Not realistic. Things happen to people.

Advice to Management

Lighten up and accept the fact that your employees are human.

2. "Data Scientist -intern"

Former Intern - Intern - Hourly in Santa Clara, CA
    Former Intern - Intern - Hourly in Santa Clara, CA

I worked at Danaher as an intern (More than 5 years)

Pros

you have plenty of time to do your personal business, look for full-time job, interview with other companies...
    as long as you smile and show you are happy and say "yes", no one really understands what you have delivered or what you have done. make sure you agree with them and then you are fine.

Cons

worse place to work
    hire the intern in bay area with less that half hourly paid compare to other companies
    no one is around to learn from, you gain nothing as an intern, you may need to teach full-time employees
    you will be told always there is a chance to be considered as full-time, a big lie
    the manager is never around, if he is available, makes no difference
    no future perspective, nobody cares about your future career

Advice to Management

if the manager was more responsible and knowledgeable, that could make a difference

"Was great before Danaher bought us out."

Current Employee - Finance in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Finance in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Danaher full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Love love love my co-workers! My supervisor and manager are awesome but high up leadership is awful, textbook awful.

Cons

Dictatorship. No collaboration. You are just told what to do without discussion. Cut people constantly which causes training issues and you have no training because person to train is no longer there.

Advice to Management

Take some leadership and business classes. Having such a high turnover is more costly than having a sufficient number of employees. No point in doing enhancement surveys if you don't improve anything.

"Leadership Needed"

Current Employee - Technical Support Manager in Alpharetta, GA
    Current Employee - Technical Support Manager in Alpharetta, GA

Pros

Opportunity to pave your own way as there is little established currently.

Cons

Poor management team and company structure in Dexis/KavoKerr Group in Alpharetta, GA.
    Several high level managers have moved on to greener pastures. Employee Engagement is at all-time low with issues of lack of trust in leadership, poor communication and lack of innovations as the top issues.

Advice to Management

Listen to your team and get strong seasoned management. It is great to promote from within but you have the blind leading the blind.

"XOS in Downward Spiral"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in East Greenbush, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in East Greenbush, NY

I worked at Danaher full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The only true Pro is the people. They care and want to be successful. The company match on the 401k is a Pro too.

Cons

Too much DHR over-process nonsense, metrics, DBS, favoritism, back room dealings, lack of honest communication, lack of timely communication, poor leadership. Benefits are too expensive and pretty shabby.

Advice to Management

Your employees know that the company is failing. Employees are choosing to leave. Stop force feeding the staff . Drinking the Kool Aid will not work at XOS.

"Application Engineer"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Radford, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Radford, VA

I worked at Danaher full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I got paid ok but it was not worth the torture, good health coverage.

Cons

Stressful, unhealthy office environment, no privacy, no perks, no promotion from within, dead end job. Average life span as an application engineer is 2-3 years, unless you are trying to become a Sales Engineer. Hard to make friends with co-workers, due to open office environment.

Advice to Management

They never tried to make the job enjoyable, it's engineering customer support and they never let you have fun of any kind. They should have shut down the telephone lines from 12pm to 1pm to allow the team to have lunch together, so we could at least socialize.

"Great Place to work if you want no life outside of work...."

Current Employee - Orthodontic Lab Technician in Racine, WI
    Current Employee - Orthodontic Lab Technician in Racine, WI

I have been working at Danaher full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

There are really not many benefits to working for a company like Danaher. They offer a few paid vacation day, and the benefits are decent.

Cons

This is a company driven soley by numbers. They do not care about their employees or keeping their workers happy. Your daily work life will be full of charts and graphs with no hope of obtaining their outrageous sales goals.

Advice to Management

Listen to the employees! Many of the employees who have been there a substantial amount of time have great ideas and solutions to fixing the issue of morale within the company. A happy employee is a GOOD employee!

"Work here at your own risk."

Former Employee - Meetings/ConventionManager in Milwaukee, WI
    Former Employee - Meetings/ConventionManager in Milwaukee, WI

I worked at Danaher full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

If you're young, and are able to make all of the sacrifices, you can move up very fast in this organization. A modicum of competence and a nod to the DBS quality system is all you need if you know how to play the game and are willing to burn your bridges as you go.

Cons

I worked for many years for a foreign owned company that was purchased by Dananher. They let us operate as per past practices for a while, and we continued to be highly successful, but eventually their management insisted on imposing their will. After 18 months of their serious meddling, it’s a wonder the company is still in business.

Paranoid management, disrespect, constant tension, and long hours sum up most of Danaher’s real culture. Generally speaking, it is a pressure cooker and all communication is one directional – top down. Any attempt to streamline, impact change, or even discuss a better way to do anything is strictly frowned upon when it comes from the bottom. Work longer/harder, don't complain or try to fix any of the myriad broken systems or processes, and don't forget that there are 10 people lined up outside to take your spot (your manager certainly won't forget).

The DBS quality system is a joke. Don’t get me wrong, theoretically it has many outstanding qualities. Unfortunately, the company is operated by ruthless, ladder climbing, management-by-spreadsheet types who have neither the time nor the inclination to learn let alone properly apply the myriad processes. “Whatever worked once will work again” is the prevailing attitude, and a one-size-fits-all solution is forced on everything.

All of the talk about growth, best practices, and competition is just that… idle talk. Ultimately, the Danaher business model is not one of retain and reinvest. It is the same old downsize and distribute, cut your way to profitability, do anything to meet/beat analysts’ expectations on your stock price management style that pervades the entire venture capital culture.

Advice to Management

What can I say? Danaher has destroyed almost as many companies as it claims to have "saved". The business plan has made senior managers very wealthy, so there's really no motivation to change anything simply to guarantee the long term future of its constituent companies, their customers and employees.

"Without a doubt worst place I ever worked"

Former Employee - Staffing Manager in West Chester, PA
    Former Employee - Staffing Manager in West Chester, PA

I worked at Danaher full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I worked remotely so I didn't have to deal with a lot of the office politics face to face. Nor did I have to see my so called boss every day which was also a plus.

Cons

Where do I start - horrible management and I was so fortunate to have the worst boss ever. Upper management does not care about anything other than their own bonuses. I had to pay for my own development and was provided with no tools to help me do my job - finally went and paid for myself. Had HR colleagues stab me in the back because they were only looking out for their own survival.
    I would constantly bring up the subject of turnover in HR meetings only to be told to shut up - literally.

Advice to Management

Quit - do other employees a favor. Stop calling people idiots and morons to their face and then wonder why turnover is awful!!

"Good for VP and above, rest all stay away!!"

Current Employee - Non-VP in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Non-VP in Boston, MA

I have been working at Danaher full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

If you are in industrials / manufacturing oriented domain, training in DBS and other processes is valuable. The brand is strong in such domains. If you are coming from other domains or would like to go to another domain, there are better places to go.

Cons

They may pay you a high salary to entice you to join, but you may not get raises or promotions. Unlike technology and other progressive companies, only executive-level people get equity in the company. There are no stock options or ESPPs. Their mantra to growth is cutting out waste. So they are always on lookout to cut people. However, in essence they are managing street's expectations. Unannounced layoffs to meet near term operating profit / other metrics are quite common across holding companies. Not much job security.

Advice to Management

Share the wealth with non-executive associates too. Treat them fairly and with respect when you layoff people.