Danaher Reviews | Glassdoor

Danaher Reviews

Updated April 20, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
  • Danaher Business System, company values and integrity (in 15 reviews)

• Good benefits and for the most part the culture is okay but it can be a bit demanding (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • Always on the road - work life balance is a challenge (in 21 reviews)

• Endless RIFs in pursuit of ultimate LEAN means no job security and no work life balance (in 7 reviews)

"Good Company To Work For"

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Grand Rapids, MI
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Grand Rapids, MI

I have been working at Danaher full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Lots of opportunity to grow and advance if you are willing to put in the work and commit.

Cons

Some company initiatives seem to conflict with the greater good, they tend to focus to much on data and analytics instead of looking at things from other perspectives.

Advice to Management

Visibility and communication seem to be key areas where the company could improve as a whole.

"Worst Place for Engineers to Work"

Former Employee - Product Development Engineer in Glendora, CA
    Former Employee - Product Development Engineer in Glendora, CA

I worked at Danaher full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

On paper this looks like a good job for a Mechanical or Materials engineer because they'll be dealing with mechanisms and new materials.

Cons

However there was motivation for innovation and upper management was focused on ringing every drop from that dam Damon line. People were nice enough, but just pretty dressed because they all see the end coming and don't have enough energy to get off the boat

Advice to Management

Nothing. This is a horrible place to work and mainly because of Danaher and upper management

3. "Electronics Technician"

Current Employee - Electronics Technician in Wood Dale, IL
    Current Employee - Electronics Technician in Wood Dale, IL

I have been working at Danaher full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Stable company, Excellent benefits, lateral movement to subsidiaries.

Cons

Pay scale on the low side. cannot move up "The Ladder" without paper ( Degree).

"Senior Buyer"

Former Employee - Senior Buyer in Elizabethtown, NC
    Former Employee - Senior Buyer in Elizabethtown, NC

I worked at Danaher full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I enjoyed the procurement team. We the buyers looked out for one another and covered down when workloads become unbearable which they did most of the time.

Cons

Lack of personnel and training. We were told they would hire more employees but they never did. The company also took away our ability to work remote which was a reason I took the job. Leadership slow at responding to time sensitive decisions. Employees are not held accountable for their actions and do not pull their weight.

Advice to Management

Provide training (any!). Stop closed doors decision making, allow all employees to have buy in on projects.

"Great Place to work if you want no life outside of work...."

Current Employee - Orthodontic Lab Technician in Racine, WI
    Current Employee - Orthodontic Lab Technician in Racine, WI

I have been working at Danaher full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

There are really not many benefits to working for a company like Danaher. They offer a few paid vacation day, and the benefits are decent.

Cons

This is a company driven soley by numbers. They do not care about their employees or keeping their workers happy. Your daily work life will be full of charts and graphs with no hope of obtaining their outrageous sales goals.

Advice to Management

Listen to the employees! Many of the employees who have been there a substantial amount of time have great ideas and solutions to fixing the issue of morale within the company. A happy employee is a GOOD employee!

"QA Eng"

Former Employee - Quality Engineer in Telford, PA
    Former Employee - Quality Engineer in Telford, PA

I worked at Danaher full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Lean environment at all levels

Cons

No resources for basic needs

"Work here at your own risk."

Former Employee - Meetings/ConventionManager in Milwaukee, WI
    Former Employee - Meetings/ConventionManager in Milwaukee, WI

I worked at Danaher full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

If you're young, and are able to make all of the sacrifices, you can move up very fast in this organization. A modicum of competence and a nod to the DBS quality system is all you need if you know how to play the game and are willing to burn your bridges as you go.

Cons

I worked for many years for a foreign owned company that was purchased by Dananher. They let us operate as per past practices for a while, and we continued to be highly successful, but eventually their management insisted on imposing their will. After 18 months of their serious meddling, it’s a wonder the company is still in business.

Paranoid management, disrespect, constant tension, and long hours sum up most of Danaher’s real culture. Generally speaking, it is a pressure cooker and all communication is one directional – top down. Any attempt to streamline, impact change, or even discuss a better way to do anything is strictly frowned upon when it comes from the bottom. Work longer/harder, don't complain or try to fix any of the myriad broken systems or processes, and don't forget that there are 10 people lined up outside to take your spot (your manager certainly won't forget).

The DBS quality system is a joke. Don’t get me wrong, theoretically it has many outstanding qualities. Unfortunately, the company is operated by ruthless, ladder climbing, management-by-spreadsheet types who have neither the time nor the inclination to learn let alone properly apply the myriad processes. “Whatever worked once will work again” is the prevailing attitude, and a one-size-fits-all solution is forced on everything.

All of the talk about growth, best practices, and competition is just that… idle talk. Ultimately, the Danaher business model is not one of retain and reinvest. It is the same old downsize and distribute, cut your way to profitability, do anything to meet/beat analysts’ expectations on your stock price management style that pervades the entire venture capital culture.

Advice to Management

What can I say? Danaher has destroyed almost as many companies as it claims to have "saved". The business plan has made senior managers very wealthy, so there's really no motivation to change anything simply to guarantee the long term future of its constituent companies, their customers and employees.

"Without a doubt worst place I ever worked"

Former Employee - Staffing Manager in West Chester, PA
    Former Employee - Staffing Manager in West Chester, PA

I worked at Danaher full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I worked remotely so I didn't have to deal with a lot of the office politics face to face. Nor did I have to see my so called boss every day which was also a plus.

Cons

Where do I start - horrible management and I was so fortunate to have the worst boss ever. Upper management does not care about anything other than their own bonuses. I had to pay for my own development and was provided with no tools to help me do my job - finally went and paid for myself. Had HR colleagues stab me in the back because they were only looking out for their own survival.
    I would constantly bring up the subject of turnover in HR meetings only to be told to shut up - literally.

Advice to Management

Quit - do other employees a favor. Stop calling people idiots and morons to their face and then wonder why turnover is awful!!

"Challenging - Training under fire"

Former Employee - Senior Financial Analyst in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Senior Financial Analyst in Chicago, IL

I worked at Danaher full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

They leave you room to grow up in pay and responsibility when you start a job at Danaher. If you work for an acquired Danaher company be prepared to work hard and cut out wasted tasks (process improvement)

Cons

Most of their systems don't talk to one another and yet detail reports are requested on demand.

Advice to Management

High paying chiefs are paid well, but sometimes it feels like there are not enough Indians.

"Good for VP and above, rest all stay away!!"

Current Employee - Non-VP in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Non-VP in Boston, MA

I have been working at Danaher full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

If you are in industrials / manufacturing oriented domain, training in DBS and other processes is valuable. The brand is strong in such domains. If you are coming from other domains or would like to go to another domain, there are better places to go.

Cons

They may pay you a high salary to entice you to join, but you may not get raises or promotions. Unlike technology and other progressive companies, only executive-level people get equity in the company. There are no stock options or ESPPs. Their mantra to growth is cutting out waste. So they are always on lookout to cut people. However, in essence they are managing street's expectations. Unannounced layoffs to meet near term operating profit / other metrics are quite common across holding companies. Not much job security.

Advice to Management

Share the wealth with non-executive associates too. Treat them fairly and with respect when you layoff people.