Darden Culinary Manager Reviews | Glassdoor

3.2
Gene Lee

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Sometimes long hours but other than that it is a great environment (in 62 reviews)

• Very inconstant scheduling makes work/life balance impossible (in 17 reviews)

1. "Culinary Manager"

Former Employee - Culinary Manager in Lake Hiawatha, NJ
    Former Employee - Culinary Manager in Lake Hiawatha, NJ

I worked at Darden full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

As a whole the corporation really stresses the value of training and leading people. They really love to promote from within which gives current employees great opportunity to advance there career

Cons

Communication is lacking throughout the company

Advice to Management

Use more tools for communication voice mail Manager logs to keep all employees in the loop

2. "manager"

Former Employee - Culinary, Sales, Service Manager in Vallejo, CA
    Former Employee - Culinary, Sales, Service Manager in Vallejo, CA

I worked at Darden full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

excellent company to work for due to benefits.

Cons

Company overall is not fair to its employees and cares more about the numbers than the team.

Advice to Management

team members are people not just a number

"Longhorn Steakhouse Management"

Current Employee - Culinary Manager in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Culinary Manager in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Darden full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Consistent paycheck, free meals, bonuses, 401k, insurance. Darden Dimes is nice, but if employees knew that their donations are placed into investments, they probably wouldn't participate.

Cons

Long, long hours. Small yearly increases. Co-managers are lazy and unaccountable. 'Area of operations' rotation (lack of consistency). Labor matrix very unreasonable. 'Utility Program' is a joke - restaurants are dirty and gross. The system is set up to suck the life right of of you and your employees.

Advice to Management

To the greedy people at the top trying to look good to the shareholders, you have no idea how much your managers and employees resent you for creating such a laborsome work environment. By far the most demanding, underpaid position of my life. If you would anonymously survey your people, you might be shocked to find how many managers and team members dislike working for Longhorn Steakhouse.

4. "Amazing company"

Current Employee - Culinary Manager in Vienna, WV
    Current Employee - Culinary Manager in Vienna, WV

I have been working at Darden full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great opportunity for advancement, family oriented.

Cons

high turnover rate in employees

Advice to Management

food cost

5. "Panic style senior mgmt"

Former Employee - Culinary Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Culinary Manager in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Darden full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Stable company, free meals,

Cons

Senior mgmt constantly in panic mode, constant policy changes

6. "Learning experience"

Current Employee - Culinary Manager in Hammond, LA
    Current Employee - Culinary Manager in Hammond, LA

I have been working at Darden full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great benefits as a company.

Cons

Since the company is going through lots of changes with one of their flagship companies, an impossible amount of pressure is put on managers.

Advice to Management

Empower your people. Reprimanding your managers every time they turn around is asking for failure.

"Alot of Hours"

Current Employee - Culinary Manager In Training in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Culinary Manager In Training in San Antonio, TX

Pros

The manager in training program is very thourough and sets you up for success in the real world. The experiance and knowledge gained while going through the 13 weeks of training provided is the best in the industry in my opinion. It is very fast past and takes a quick mind to pick it all up. Right away you are giving the authority to make decisions when put in a position. There are high expectations in place so be ready to rise to the task if you have been offered this position. The salary is great from the beginning (but as a trainee you don't get bonusses) Darden has restaurants all over the country so if you have to move, there is usually an opportunity to transfer between stores, or even between brands (like if Olive Garden is not a good fit, you could move over to Red Lobster and most likely expect about the same salary and work expectations) Overall it was a great and invaluable experiance.

Cons

If you have any kind of family or social life, this is not the job for you unless you are looking to never see you children, your spouse or your friends. When I took the job I was told that I would be working approxamately 55 hours a week. This seems reasonable for the salary I was recieving. However, it seemed all the hours got dumped on me right away. And I still had to complete the insanely long book they gave me, most of the time on my days off, or I would have to come in early or stay late (off the clock) While at work more time was spent duing the duties of the postion they needed me to be in rather than studying the important tasks in the book when I a capable manager was around to direct me in the right direction (these included learning about P&L reports, managing invoices learning how to manage food costs) I was typically left to my own devices and I had to fight the other managers for office time. All managers are supposed to get two hours computer time a day, so of course thier computer needs came before mine as they were essential to the restaurant operations. My husband had recently been injured and there were several times I needed to be off to drive him to the hospital. While they never denied my requests, they were looked down upon and eventually I got a firm converstaion regarding them. There was also another manager who was let go while I was there because he had just had a brand new baby girl, and was late a couple of times due to lack of sleep. Any time there were days off scheduled, they were horribly planned. The days off would be together, but day #1 would follow a closing shift, so I would not get home till very late and obviously sleep in, and day two would be prior to an opening shift, (which is 4 or 5 am depending on if there is weekly inventory to do or not) so I would be going to bed early. So neither day seemed to be a full day, nor was there the possibility of going out of town because of the schedule constaints when leaving and returning and the time needed to work on the training assignments.

Advice to Management

While in training, make sure to ease the candidate into the schedule if it is something they or thier family are not used to. Also make sure there is a scheduled time daily for the trainee to get computer time, not expect them to try to squeeze it in after they are finished with all the duties with help the operation of the restaurant that day. ( because you know anybody worth having around is going to put the needs of the restuarant and the employees on duty first as opposed to sitting down and completeing written assignments) Over all it was a pleasant experiance, I just wished I had a little more heads up about the hours, energy and time it takes to commit to the program.

8. "OG Manager review"

Current Employee - Culinary Manager in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Culinary Manager in Philadelphia, PA

Pros

Brand recognition, environment, good overall training

Cons

Long hours, long weeks, too many tasks, antiquated cash handling

Advice to Management

Priorities should not just be based upon and created by how concepts seemingly compare to other restaurants (ie: GSS)