Dark Horse Comics Reviews

Updated Dec 30, 2019

3.4
Dark Horse Comics President and Publisher Mike Richardson (no image)
Mike Richardson
  1. "Fast-paced excellent prospect!"

5.0
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Milwaukie, OR

I have been working at Dark Horse Comics full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

-Talent in every department -People who love what they do -Connect with artists -Immediate excellent and affordable benefits

Cons

-Downtown Milwaukie parking -Not a lot of engagement outside of your department

Continue reading
  2. "Great Work Environment"

Current Employee - Director of Licensing in Portland, OR

I have been working at Dark Horse Comics full-time for more than a year

Pros

The people at Dark Horse are the best in the industry. Very collaborative and capable.

Cons

Salary and benefits are above average for a small, privately owned company, but low compared to bigger employers.

3. "Best Job Ever"

5.0

I have been working at Dark Horse Comics full-time

Pros

Great atmosphere, friendly coworkers, hands on and caring upper management, allowed to set own schedule as well as modify and/or temporarily change it when needed, never bored, no micromanagement, allowed too wear headphones while working, lots of great percs like tons of freebies always available to grab from, ie; toys, action figures, comic books, gaming books, art books, steins and cups, lots of items created for different licenses, as well as movie premieres and constant edible spoils.

Cons

Average pay, located in downtown Milwaukie, very quiet office, not a ton of engaging with others

"don't bother"

1.0

I worked at Dark Horse Comics full-time for less than a year

Pros

free comic books that's it really

Cons

they will actively punish you for doing a good job. Management believes getting things done quickly is more important than doing them correctly, and will penalize you for doing things right the first time so you don't have to fix them later. I wasn't there for very long but apparently people went years without raises. If you want a job where you can skate by with minimum effort, this might be good for you. If you care at all about the quality of your work and the work of your colleagues, run away.

"Stable work, great people but pay is unsatisfactory and there is no room to move up."

Current Employee - Warehouse Associate in Milwaukie, OR

I have been working at Dark Horse Comics full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Fun job working with comics and pop culture. Friendly co-workers. Relaxed environment. Good health benefits.

Cons

Very strong nepotism and favoritism. Difficult to move up in position and wage increases are extremely rare for regular employees.

"Positive Work Experience"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Milwaukie, OR

I worked at Dark Horse Comics full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good health benefits right away and PTO plan after one year. Fun events and perks. Great people to work with.

Cons

Doesn't offer much PTO in first year and doesn't match or profit share 401(k). A bit of a disconnect between VP's and employees. Lower wages. There isn't as much growth opportunity but that is mainly due to size of company.

"A fine job... for a while."

I worked at Dark Horse Comics full-time

Pros

Ability to work with talented comics professionals. Opportunity to work within the creation and sales process of excellent entertainment products. Good benefits.

Cons

Low pay. Little to no opportunity for advancement. Out of date understanding of certain markets.

"Improving"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Milwaukie, OR

I have been working at Dark Horse Comics full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Fun staff, cool projects and autonomy to self manage

Cons

Silos as there are multiple buildings staff work in so hard to get to know some outside of your immediate department or building

Continue reading

"Read before considering a position here"

1.0

I worked at Dark Horse Comics

Pros

The staff aside from a few managers are extremely talented. Heath care benefits are decent. Vacation time is acceptable but not excellent.

Cons

Promotions are usually given to managers only. The pay is the worst in publishing. If you think you eventually will be compensated if you work there long enough- that will not be the case. Some managers think they are royalty and treat others very poorly. The recent social media stories are true. Some people get special privileges due to their rank. Terrible place to work.

Continue reading

"Writing software at a comic book company"

I worked at Dark Horse Comics full-time for more than a year

Pros

Nearly everyone i worked with was very laid back and i made some good friends during my time there. There were a lot of learning opportunities for junior and intern level engineers. As an engineer, putting in more than 40 hours in a week was an extreme rarity.

Cons

I don't think i was alone in feeling a little out of place being a software guy working at a publishing company. I got the feeling that people higher up in management didn't really know what to do with our group. The tech stack was frustratingly old and cumbersome. While I was there I saw most of the senior or mid-level engineers leave, which meant that it was hard for the juniors/interns to get mentored.

Found 17 reviews