Darling International Reviews | Glassdoor

2.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Darling International Chairman and CEO Randall C. Stuewe
Randall C. Stuewe

1. "Becoming a dead end work place"

Current Employee - Maintenance Technician in Tacoma, WA
    Current Employee - Maintenance Technician in Tacoma, WA

I have been working at Darling International full-time

Pros

Good union, benefits, ok pay good hours hard work, team work non lazy workers.

Cons

No room for advancement. Poor retirement.
    Management dose not care about the workers.

Advice to Management

If you start caring about your workers and give incentives like bonuses, better retirement you would have better products and production as well as happier workers.

"Regional Manager"

I worked at Darling International full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great co-workers, good benefits and the latest gadgets-Ipad, Iphone

Cons

Poor corporate vision and even worse execution the their "current plan". Sales is a stepchild and operations the king. Managements MANTRA in sales "If you don't regularly ride with a grease driver or walk your own plant then you can't sell". Now having said that, sales is expected to make a gazillion sales and record in SALESFORCE...you tell me if your performance is based on call activity why in heck$)T^#@#% would one want to fricking ride in a grease truck regularly??? Immature Global organization that thinks it a big bird but like a peacock, when it lets its feathers down(employees get to know the company) its just a disappointing scrawny bird.

Advice to Management

Hire back everyone you've ran off because they dared bring energy and innovation despite not smelling like a McDonalds hamburger grease!!!

3. "Regional Account Manager"

Former Employee - Account Manager in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Houston, TX

Pros

Paid for expenses and really never bothered you bc they are to busy caring about themselves and not the employees or the customers.

Cons

Lack of communication and in to many different industries for you to give the customer a better service opportunity. layoff and never know the security of your job. Horrible management all on different pages.

Advice to Management

Communication!!!!! We are in a economic crisis and all they want to do is monopolize all markets. This is why your in debt and have employees properly trained! Keep in the market you are good at that's oil. 140 years to get greedy over money when you could be more successful being honest with yourselves. Corporate needs to take a look at the bigger picture on the definition of success. stay true to the people that work for you still lack of communication with employees gets customers want to leave as they are now and will continue to. Horrible moral values.

5. "Not the best"

Pros

There aren't a lot of pro's to working for this company. If I had to say something I would say that the enthusiasm that management holds for the business is inspiring.

Cons

Left hand doesn't know what right hand is doing
    Employee training
    Pay
    Each individual plants acts like it's own company. There is no uniformity of procedures.
    Customers get confused about all the different brands

Advice to Management

Train your employees better. Work on more streamlined procedures. Get everyone on the same page.

6. "Regional Account Manager"

Current Employee - Sales Manager in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Sales Manager in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Darling International full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The job is very easy.

Cons

There is very little professional development taking place.

Advice to Management

Start caring

"Bottom line before employees' well being"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Cold Spring, KY
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Cold Spring, KY

I worked at Darling International part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I worked in the former Griffin Industries building as a customer service representative. Everything was great at first. Catered lunch, flexible hours, thorough training, good coworkers. Griffin was a place I was proud to work at. Which is why it pains me to write in the con section.

Cons

At first the work was compensated fairly, then they started adding more responsibilities, taking advantage us. Once Griffin was bought out by this company, employees were not treated the same. Griffin was focused on customer service and quality. Employees were taken care of well. Once we hit the new year, our Irving boss who oversaw my department was flown out from Texas to Kentucky just to lay off my whole department with absolutely no notice (they made the decision 2 weeks prior). We were instructed to return our badges, not to touch our computers, and to leave. My opinion of this company went from very high to extremely low. If it can happen to me, it can happen to anyone else who works there.

Advice to Management

Darling's color isn't just green due to their eco friendly nature. It's also a clear representation of their greedy values.

8. "Incompetent GM"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cleveland, OH
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at Darling International full-time

Pros

Work with good people. Compensation is Decent. Great benefits.

Cons

Leadership (GM) is horrible!! Complete lack of direction. Treats people like their beneath him.
    Middle managers and the labor....are what keep that facility, running.
    GM needs to remember the golden rule!!

Advice to Management

Teach your GM's HEPA Laws, mentoring, HR & last, but not least---PEOPLE SKILLS!!!

"Underappreciated company to work for if you are on the front lines"

Former Employee - Driver in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Driver in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Darling International full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The business is one that will always be needed but Darling may not always be there if the numbers aren't high enough. The pay is just underpayed for the work but one can learn how to do the work and get a better job elseware.

Cons

The company is making millions of dollars, check on the stock market, yet it cheaps its non-management workers and is continueing to takeaway many benefits that have kept the good employees working there for less pay that could be made elseware. There is no recognition for the work done, everything is about the numbers. Management is continueing to change and may even change its name as it is getting to big.

Advice to Management

Recoginize all your employees as people as it did when Darling was a lot smaller, friendlier company. This conglomerite that you have built is terible for its employees as the stockholders and higher management have gotten gready. The customers it serves are recognizing this and many are going elseware for their services. Happy employees will get and keep satisfied customers.

"current employee"

Current Employee - Supervisor in Jackson, MS
    Current Employee - Supervisor in Jackson, MS

I have been working at Darling International full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

stable job if you don't screw up

Cons

Management does not like to promote from within. Some GMs have no management experience or even a college education which does not bode well for managing facilities. Inept GM = poor production and profit....DUH!

Advice to Management

Hire experienced managers and promote from within. Allow hourly employees to share in profits somehow other than the pitiful 3% yearly raise.

"Darling Inc"

Former Employee - Programmer in Irving, TX
    Former Employee - Programmer in Irving, TX

Pros

*Darling is a company that is growing very fast and they are slowly building their IT Department. They provide free lunch and drinks.

Cons

*You get paid 1 time a month
    *Not sure the IT Department, specifically the Software Development department has direction
    *No cubes, so everything is open and therefore little privacy

Advice to Management

None