Darling International Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Darling International Chairman and CEO Randall C. Stuewe
Randall C. Stuewe

Pros
Cons
  • Long hours and nights but worth it come pay day (in 7 reviews)

• Managements MANTRA in sales "If you don't regularly ride with a grease driver or walk your own plant then you can't sell" (in 3 reviews)

1. "Maintenance Manager"

Former Employee - Maintenance Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Maintenance Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Darling International (More than a year)

Pros

Great opportunities for promotion and increased responsibilities

Cons

Long hours most times, very hard to balance work and family life

Advice to Management

Cut down overtime for hourly employees to increase profit margin.

2. "Large company with many moving parts"

I have been working at Darling International full-time

Pros

I appreciate the Cold Spring office. There are benefits to working at regional offices you won't find at plants (which would be a con , I suppose, if you worked at a plant). You get free lunch, free access to an on-site gym with adequate equipment and showers, and the people are generally friendly. Compensation is adequate and there is a possibility of an annual bonus, depending on personal review and whether or not the company meets its business goals. Benefits seem fair (401K with employer match, medical, vision, dental), tuition reimbursement (must work at least 1 year before this kicks in, max of $3K in a calendar year), etc. I feel like I have been treated fairly and my hard work is noticed and appreciated.

Cons

In such a large company with so many teams and moving parts, any pros or cons will be biased depending on which department you work for and your manager. In my case, I am a hard work and feel like I am treated very fairly by my manager. For the most part, though, it seems like the more advanced roles you take on, the more disgruntled, stressed out, and frustrated people become. I honestly can't think of 1 person at Cold Spring in the IT department besides me that's generally happy with their job. I see and hear people figuratively (and literally) throwing their hands up in the air on and almost daily basis. That's pretty disconcerting.

PTO is not good compared to other large, publicly traded companies. Vacation time is obnoxious at first. You accrue vacation time when you first get hired, then your first full calendar year is only something like a max of 5 days. That's pathetic and they don't explain that clearly in the interviews or onboarding process. Your second full calendar year is when you finally get 2 paid weeks of vacation time. With few exceptions (such as regional account managers who obviously don't have a company office), working from home is technically not allowed. You are at the mercy of your manager when it comes to making adjustments in your schedule or working from home if you have no other choice (like sick kids) since you have such little vacation, PTO, and sick days (I think you literally only get 1 or 2 sick days until you have worked 5 full calendar years).

There is practically no push for team building (there are still people on my team I've never met), company events, or general employee morale boosting events of any kind.

Advice to Management

The only thing I can think of from my experience is to be more competitive with paid time off (better vacation, personal days, sick days) and actually making working from home or flex time an option.

3. "What you would expect from a large public company"

Former Employee - Account Manager in Midwest, WY
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Midwest, WY

Pros

Easy. Good work life balance. Biggest in the business. Decent pay for what is expected. If you want low expectations and minimal training/supervision, now the time to get in.

Cons

Upper mgmt is stretched thin due to cutbacks. It's a dirty job, and far from glamorous. Promotions are rare. Downsizing sales staff to internal call centers, after laying off an entire call center.

Advice to Management

Upper mgmt party boys are wasting the companies money.

"Administrator"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cold Spring, KY

I have been working at Darling International full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The company offers awesome benefits - you will not find better in the area. The office is also in a pretty low traffic area so it's a generally stress free commute. There is also a corporate gym that is free for employee use.

Cons

Pay grade is not consistent across the company. Flexible hours and working from home is mostly non-existent unless you are shown favoritism from your supervisor.

Advice to Management

Provide better work-life balance by offering flex hours and work from home opportunities. Invest in the morale of your employees by hosting company functions.

5. "Industry leader, competitive market"

Current Employee - Sales in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Sales in Houston, TX

I have been working at Darling International full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Work from home
    As long as you handle your business not micromanaged
    Attainable goals
    Decent compensation
    Decent benefits
    Good hours as customers aren't in till 10AM

Cons

Acquisition has led to discourse (people resistant to change)
    Tightening expenses
    Too worried abt stockholders instead of employees
    Limited room for advancement

Advice to Management

Listen to reps when developing yearly incentive package. Reward top performers accordingly. Increase merit raises

6. "Too many chiefs, and too many OLD chiefs."

Current Employee - Account Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Darling International full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Independence with your job roll, but needed disipline for weekly results.

Cons

Lack of leadership and no communication from Ops.

Advice to Management

More support and training is needed across the board and mainly in the office handling exsisting customer concerns and requests.

"Big brother attitude overseeing you work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Pros

Decent benefits. The work is hard and the job should be around for some time. The city is working with the company to build a new plant for biofuel.

Cons

Wages are a little low for the area. Big brother watching. Lots of new rules and paper work. Word of mouth is the only way of finding out anything. Poor training, learn as you go. Hours are long.

Advice to Management

Let the workers do their jobs and be more encourageing not looking for wrong doings. Show some kindness just hello would go a long way. More information of the new going ons would be nice.

8. "Admin"

Pros

Overall benefits are pretty decent

Cons

There is no room for advancement

"IT"

Pros

Growing company, lots of opportunities, integration of technologies, travel, international presence, and some good people

Cons

Muddled direction, policies, ownership of responsibilities, some finger pointing and limited cross-scope exchange

10. "Good Experience"

Pros

Great people, great work place

Cons

Low Pay and working long hours

Advice to Management

need to quit micro managing