Darling International Reviews | Glassdoor

2.5
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Darling International Chairman and CEO Randall C. Stuewe
Randall C. Stuewe

"Poster child for IT 'Worst Practices'"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irving, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irving, TX

Pros

Great environment. Lunch is provided with healthy options. Cubes are spacious and private enough. People are fairly friendly. Irving location is convenient.

Cons

CTO is all about buzzwords but does not know the technology well enough to apply it correctly. Database is a disaster! They do not have anyone on site who has DBA training. The database was developed by non-professionals. When poor coding standards were pointed out (with documentation), management responded negatively and personally.

Advice to Management

You're growing fast but your foundation is sand. If you do not hire professionals and LISTEN to them and ACT on their concerns, your system will fail.

"absolutely horrible, nothing told to you, horrible work conditions and expectations"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Orlando, FL

Pros

no reason to work with them.

Cons

long hours, huge expectations, expect you to be a slave to you work, no personal life, horrible management, poor ethics and integrity of leadership and management.

Advice to Management

look at some other professional companies, and follow

"They Were Okay Before The Merger With Griffin"

Former Employee - Transportation in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Transportation in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Darling International full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good benefits. Darling's plan was better before the merger, but the compensation is still the best in the business for drivers.

Cons

Fear is the go-to management tool. Women and minorities can forget advancement. Top-heavy and fantastically inept. Customers are unhappy. Workers are unhappy. Management is headless and heartless.

Advice to Management

Stop abusing the entry level. No one sticks around for longer than a few years, even in a down economy. The result is your first line of customer contact is always brand-new people.

"WORST UPPER MANAGEMENT EVER - Thank goodness I found out before investing too much time!"

Former Employee - Customer Relationship Specialist in Cold Spring, KY
    Former Employee - Customer Relationship Specialist in Cold Spring, KY

Pros

Very talented lower echelon people working really hard to drive innovative initiatives to improve the company. Friendly, but driven so hard settling in, getting to know them and connecting is impossible.

Cons

Family business that was all about it's people and customers was sold and now operated and managed by people that care ONLY about how much upper management can make. Benefits and pay are substandard. Management makes decisions on the fly without much thought. Example: Thousands of dollars invested to create a department and hire 10 employees. After 9 months the department manager told they are doing a fantastic job. In mid Dec. 2014 he is told they would all get a raise after the first of the year and a meeting was scheduled to discuss the raises and goals for the team. Two weeks later on Jan 5th 2015 upper management calls an "impromptu meeting" and tells all of them they are without a job effective immediately, the department is being eliminated, there will be no severance, benefits will cease that day.

Advice to Management

Consider the hard work and talent that enables them to be where they are, making the salary they do. Remember these are human beings that invest time and energy and at the very least deserve respect. It is possible to run a successful company and maintain integrity and compassion but only if the right people are in charge. Lastly, consider adopting a RECYCLING program. I was shocked to see they do not recycle given the fact it is basically what their business is all about. Recycling for the sake of making money is just as important as recycling to save the planet.

6. "Can't wait to leave! I have been working here only because it is a job that only a dimwit could lose."

I have been working at Darling International full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

If you are happy doing the same job for the rest of your career, this is the place for you!

Cons

No advancement, no bonuses, yearly pay raise lower than the inflation rate, management sucks, long hours, no gratitude for hard work performed- the list goes on and on.

Advice to Management

Stick to hiring uneducated, unmotivated employees and your job and yearly bonuses will be safe and secure!

7. "Worse back stabbing company to work for! Look else where!!"

Former Employee - Account Manager in Newark, NJ
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Newark, NJ

I worked at Darling International full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Only pro is that you are on the road.

Cons

Darling in probably the worst company I worked for! They treat their account managers terrible, throw you under the bus and get ride of you when ever they want. Even if you do a great job it doesn't matter. If upper management has a grudge with you, watch out! They lie and make things up just to throw you under the bus. I would never recommend this company and their unprofessionalism. They don't care about there people or customers just the bottom line. Their grease equipment my is sub par at best and they are not competitive in the market. Don't waste your time, look else where. You'll be doing yourself a big favor! Worst company to work for period!

Advice to Management

They suck! Period! Stop lying and throwing people under the bus.

8. "Account Executive"

Former Employee - Account Executive in Cincinnati, MO
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Cincinnati, MO

Pros

I have nothing good to say about this company.

Cons

You've been Warned! Everything negative written to date here is all true. Lots of arrogance. Very inexperienced uneducated upper management. Quick to point a finger without taking ownership for their own short comings. Not a clue on how to design a compensation structure or manage for success.

Advice to Management

Clean house Randell. Your management team is failing you! There is a reason the company is not growing like you should. I assure you. Your profits and growth to date is all smoke and mirrors.

"Do not work here if u are a female"

Pros

Consistent fast growing co. With centralized mgmt. Stable, laid back

Cons

Women do not get promoted at this company. They will tell you that you are going to be next to be promoted, but then they give it to a guy

Advice to Management

Promote females before someone sues for discrimination

"Worst Management in DFW"

Current Employee - Information Technology in Irving, TX
    Current Employee - Information Technology in Irving, TX

I have been working at Darling International full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Free Lunches is literally the only PRO item on this company. I mean, that is besides the fact that they have some good people that work there, most of which are not happy with the place.

Cons

Management is definitely a CON of working at Darling. Honestly, if you have a job now and are considering making a career move to go to Darling, I wouldn't. I am not exaggerating when I say that most people here are unhappy.
    There are no work, team building events, no employee appreciation programs and it is just a STALE environment.
    The Vacation time is horrible, you only get 2 weeks per year, for the first 5 years you are employed there.
    The Information Technology department is highly under-staffed and the managers only know what they are doing, when it pertains to the Darling environment - seems like they have no experience with what a good environment (Cohesive) would be like. They lie about the small and big things, and are hypocritical.
    I am not disgruntled. As a matter fact, the only reason I am writing this is to hopefully Help someone or someones out there that may attempt to make a career move and might need some advice.
    Look through all of the Glassdoor reviews - most of them discuss bad Management. DO NOT TAKE that lightly. When you have bad managers, your life can be opposite of happy and it effects so many aspects in your personal life.
    Honestly, stay away.

Advice to Management

Read the Cons, I am not wasting any more time on this. Only doing this to help others make a decision.

11. "Dilapidated trucks, low pay and horrible working conditions"

Current Employee - Truck Driver in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Truck Driver in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Darling International full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

We get a lot of overtime, also home every night and most weekends off. We don't have our boss in our face.

Cons

Is the money there? Yes and no, the rate of pay has not nor will it ever keep up with the rate of inflation because of deep seated greed within Darling. During negotiations we're fighting for nickels and dimes. Several of their trucks do not have air conditioning for the 80+ degree days during summer and now your driving a sweat shop on wheels, this is not only dangerous for a persons health but also a reason to contact OSHA. I have been to the ER already this summer complaining of extreme heat related illness. Someone could die under these long hours and working conditions and believe me, my wife will sue you for wrongful death because this matter has been brought to managements attention for years going unaddressed. Your drivers are the backbone to your company and deserve better working conditions and pay.

Advice to Management

I want the trucks without air conditioning to be replaced with newer models equipped with air conditioning. This company according to this website makes over 2 billion dollars a year so you can afford it.