Darque Tan Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.3
Robbie Segler

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • 50% discount on products- Free tanning- Flexible Hours-Easy to cover shifts (in 12 reviews)

• It's fun, you meet lots of people, very easy and laid back (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • You do work alone most of the time, so if there were ever an emergency, it would be a process trying to get your shift covered (in 10 reviews)

• You are not allowed to sit down, which I understand but after 8 or 9 hours your feet are killing you (in 3 reviews)

1. "Tanning Consultant"

I worked at Darque Tan part-time

Pros

Quickly obtainable pay rate increases based on sales. You get decent, stacking commission.

Cons

You have to clean a lot of tanning beds.

Advice to Management

Increase pay to 12 an hour and you may have a much higher employee retention rate.

2. "Manager"

Former Employee - Manager
    Former Employee - Manager

I worked at Darque Tan part-time

Pros

Flexible work schedule and opportunities to move up in the company because of high turn over.

Cons

They pay is minimum wage plus commission and management isn't paid much more than that our given any incentives to stay. There is high turn over because employees aren't valued and are placed at salons far from where they live. Management is expected to be on call all day everyday, with no on call compensation, in case an employee fails to show up for their shift, which is at least once a week. Managers are given no authority over staff and rely on the office for hiring and firing. If an employee quits management is expected to fill their shifts, often for weeks, until the corporate office hires someone. This leads to high manager turn over leading to very inexperienced people being promoted. They also teach you to lie to customers about the risks of tanning and promote tanning as a cancer fighting activity by building vitamin D. No benefits for management, the position is a scale goat for problems at a store and for no show employees.

Advice to Management

Care about the employees that stick around and put up with the ridiculous expectation of being on call all day everyday. Have more employees than 3 per store so if someone cannot come in the manager doesn't need to drop everything and come in or be fired, compounding the issue of too few employees.

3. "So many write ups!!!"

Former Employee - Tanning Consultant in Eagan, MN
    Former Employee - Tanning Consultant in Eagan, MN

I worked at Darque Tan part-time (More than a year)

Pros

its a prety easy job, you get to tan for free

Cons

managers are insane, lots of gossip, they will write you up for everything (missing mandatory monthly meetings, finger prints left on bed acrylic ect.) work alone. feels like your job is constantly being threatened for dumb stuff

Advice to Management

I wrote a reveiw that was a little better a while ago but just quit because im tired of not being appreciated and how corporate abuses power and writes everyone up all the time.

4. "Job for young adult"

I worked at Darque Tan part-time

Pros

fun and easy work, nothing too stressful

Cons

required work on weekends including sunday

5. "Assitant Manager"

Pros

you get to tan before or after work, you can work at different locations if they need someone to cover a shift

Cons

You work alone so you need to make sure to move fast, clean as fast as you can or you have clients screaming at you about a wait. Very hard to cover a shift because there is only about three employees in the salon, so getting someone from a different location is your only other option

6. "Tanning Consultant"

I worked at Darque Tan part-time

Pros

Getting to try new tanning equipment

Cons

Not too flexible if you cant attend monthly meetings

7. "Good job overall"

Current Employee - Store Manager
    Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at Darque Tan full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Fun work environment, likeable coworkers, nice and pleasant customers (for the most part)

Cons

not very flexible with hours... I am a manager at the location I work at and if I'm ever sick I basically get a too bad so sad and am told to go into work, if anyone else is ever sick they basically say they aren't coming in then its the managers responsibility to work their shift. Wish this company would provide free tanning...

8. "Its ok"

I worked at Darque Tan part-time

Pros

It's fun, you meet lots of people, very easy and laid back

Cons

lots of tedious cleaning. it is necessary to keep a hygienic place, super understandable. I just didn't like the cleaning every day

Advice to Management

its fine tbh just whatever

9. "Tanning Consultant"

Current Employee - Tanning Consultant in Katy, TX
    Current Employee - Tanning Consultant in Katy, TX

I have been working at Darque Tan part-time (More than a year)

Pros

You get sales commission on all memberships/lotions that you sell, you get to tan for free, employee 50% discount on all lotions.

Cons

You work shifts completely by yourself, standing for long hours, meetings every month, pay is not great, you have to memorize scripts, no assigned lunch breaks.

Advice to Management

Put less of an emphasis on memorizing scripts like a robot and focus more on individual employee sales. Also everything that is said at meetings could easily be sent out on the employee email. Managers are unfair with hours and make employees work every single weekend.

10. "Pretty fun place to work"

Former Employee - Tanning Consultant in Pasadena, TX
    Former Employee - Tanning Consultant in Pasadena, TX

I worked at Darque Tan full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You get a lot of praise and recognition if you do your job right. There's plenty of chances to win lotions and package money as well as reward gifts and the commission can be great if you know how to sell and if the salon you work at is busy. You get to tan in the lower levels for free and you get 50% off products. The hours are flexible and I loved working alone for the most part. The job can seem like a lot of work, but once you have it down it's pretty easy. I love that you can work at other locations if you need more hours. Sometimes the employee in need of cover will even offer up cash for you to take the shift. It's easy to move up to salon manager, which is great but sometimes the salon manager can take advantage of their position if they aren't maturely ready before being promoted. You're provided with a lot of help and training to make sure that you're ready to go and know what you're doing. It's a lot of fun to work for this company and the owner is really nice if you don't get on his bad side. They offer a health insurance plan as well for full time employees. This is a great job to have while in college or if you're single and only have to provide a living for yourself.
    All in all, I've really enjoyed working here!

Cons

If you're stuck with an unprofessional salon manager it could be difficult, but luckily it is easy to move up and transfer out. You do work alone most of the time, so if there were ever an emergency, it would be a process trying to get your shift covered. You don't get to leave the salon for anything so you have to be prepared for the whole day and if you forget your lunch, you'll have to order something that delivers. There's no "breaks" but you're allowed to sit down and eat when it's not busy. There's monthly meetings to attend at the corporate office, which is about an hour drive but it also depends on which location you're at. It can be a hassle getting out there, but you get paid for the drive as well as the meeting and they also provide lunch. I've seen a lot of talk about not getting paid after close... which isn't true. They want you out by closing time, but if you have to stay late to clean, it's slightly frowned upon. You get paid, they just want to make sure it's not a constant thing that you're staying late. I can see where corporate can be shady, but to be honest, if you do your job and you're respectful and don't give problems, you're good.

Advice to Management

The only advice I can give would be to make the promotion process a little more challenging before giving it to just anyone who is interested. Since I've started I've seen a drastic improvement in professionalism so there's not much more to say.