Dart Container Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated April 20, 2017

1.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Robert C. Dart

Pros
  • Good working environment, good benefits with reasonable pay (in 16 reviews)

• Great culture and work/life balance (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Poor management, benefits and structure (in 8 reviews)

• All upper management cares about is lining their pockets (in 6 reviews)

"Worse By The Day"

Current Employee - Material Handler in Horse Cave, KY
    Current Employee - Material Handler in Horse Cave, KY

Pros

Steady work, that's about it.

Cons

Favoritism is rampant EVERYWHERE! You will not get a chance to advance in this company unless you are in tight with a Manager.

You will be constantly passed over for positions you are the most qualified applicant for, unless you know some one involved in hiring.

Management is a JOKE! they know NOTHING of what their employees actually do in a shift.

Supervisors are incompetent, Hateful, & sit around all day! You will NEVER see a "Supervisor" help out on the floor.

Employees CONSTANTLY have to do jobs, other than the position they put in for. It is considered, "Unprepared to take on additional responsibility" when you express concerns over YOUR work falling behind due to you having to perform tasks OUTSIDE of your position.

Evaluations are not fair assessments of your performance; they are 100% based on your popularity with Supervision. You can work your butt off & NEVER receive recognition for your work. All Supervisors care about is controlling employees.

Supervisors are over-bearing, controlling, & egotistical. Even if you offer a better solution to a problem they WILL NOT embrace it. They are too consumed with being the "BOSS".

I have been told MULTIPLE times, my job & opinion DO NOT MATTER. "You just need to do what you are told & be quiet."

Supervision has no idea how to manage people. They are down right rude & do not want to improve. All they care about it making cups. "Making cups pays the bills, we don't really care about much else around here."

Management only cares about employees who are "New". If you have been with the company for more than 5yrs you are TRASH!! No bonuses for senior employees. No recognition for all your hard work. New employees are being hired right now making more an hour than I am after 20yrs of service. Due to New Hire bonuses, and increased hourly shift premiums. WHAT ABOUT THE EMPLOYEES WHO HAVE BEEN LOYAL TO YOUR COMPANY FOR YEARS!!!!!!

Advice to Management

This company needs more people involved from the floor. There is a HUGE lack of respect from Supervisors to employees. I have been with this company for over 20yrs. It is in by far the WORST state that I have EVER seen it in. There is CONSTANT talk of unions on the floor. Employees need, want, & EXPECT better treatment or you will see a union within the next year.

Pay your employees better!! I currently have had multiple additional tasks added to my job due to SAP & have not received one cent in compensation!! I am performing duties as a Material Handler that a Supervisor should be performing. I enjoy the challenge of performing the tasks. However, I do feel very under appreciated for the additional tasks I perform. I do not receive ANY additional pay, RESPECT, or any other perks.

"Inspector Packer"

Former Employee - Inspector Packer in Plant City, FL
    Former Employee - Inspector Packer in Plant City, FL

I worked at Dart Container full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Paid holidays off
    Benefits
    Paid weekly
    Rotating schedule (Could be a plus or a minus depending on your preferences)
    Responsive HR
    Competitive pay

Cons

Extremely hot work environment

Plant City plant has a terrible safety rating. Exposed electrical parts often cause electrocution, fast-paced environment invites accidents, miscommunication with truck drivers/forklift drivers cause problems.

Managers do not provide the necessary tools to succeed in this very fast-paced job (machines always breaking down, not enough cleaning/work tools, understaffed with high expectations for achieving numbers)

Many of the coworkers/management are unfriendly and unhelpful. Gossip & personality conflicts are a huge problem. Many like to wander the plant or sit and do nothing. But it always seems like the hard working folks get "coachings," not the people who actually need it.

Managers tend to micromanage, but they otherwise don't spend a lot of time on the floor getting to know their employees or getting to know the job that the packers do.

Very understaffed. The management has changed the way the company operates over the years so that less people are doing more for more plant profits. However, this position is a revolving door as they are constantly hiring and people are constantly quitting. I can't help but wonder if it is more expensive to train people.

The health benefits exist, but I was not terribly impressed with them. Simple lab tests cost me several hundred dollars.

Advice to Management

Better training for the management, specifically on how to speak to employees without putting them on the defensive. (Example: It is better to say "What can i do to help you get these machines running?" rather than "Why aren't these machines on? I'm turning these back one and you need to leave them on."

I promise that most of us do not turn off the machines because we want to. 99% of the time, there is a problem preventing us from keeping the line moving at maximum speed and we need your help to get it running.

3. "Dart container"

Former Employee - Machine Technician in Lansing, MI
    Former Employee - Machine Technician in Lansing, MI

I worked at Dart Container (Less than a year)

Pros

Great work environment.....nice, friendly staff!

Cons

Hiring process too long..... temp for a year

5. "Material Handler"

Current Employee - Material Handler in Thomaston, GA
    Current Employee - Material Handler in Thomaston, GA

I have been working at Dart Container (More than a year)

Pros

There would be Pros if management and HR looked out for their employees when expressing their concerns with working conditions, but they're not. The only positive thing about this job is that it's a place to go to just kill time. The working conditions are horrible. The pay isn't up to par v as it should be. And they exaggerate on the benefits.

Cons

The Human Resources department is not very helpful and disregards the well being of workers. The environment is not a friendly atmosphere to be around what so ever. Supervisors and managers don't emphasize on what is the best solution into bringing and shipping good product to the site that can be used effectively. This company does not want to pay their workers at all. This is a nation wide company so why are there no proper raises for the employees as they so deserve, given the conditions that they are working in. I advice you, if you work for this company, don't get hurt. This is all because of the fact that they will stall as much as they can, it try not to address the issue fully as they should, to try to get out of paying one workers compensation or short-term disability. No place for advancement of the biggest issue. I would have to say this is the worst job that one has ever worked at, period.

Advice to Management

This job needs educated individuals to bring consistency to the sites. Also it would help if management could fulfill their duties by getting more involved with the employees and taking their suggestions on how to make work conditions better. Their main issue is supposed to be safety. This is stressed so much and little is worried about production on how to make it better for more opportunities for employees and progression of the company. I believe they stress safety so hard is because it's av priority for someone's well being true enough, but accidents do happen and one should be covered. But this is not the case. They try to use loop holes and stall to get out of taking care of employees as they should, meaning they don't won't to lose money on an employee.

"Could be better"

Former Employee - Electronics Technician in High Point, NC
    Former Employee - Electronics Technician in High Point, NC

I worked at Dart Container (Less than a year)

Pros

H R was the best department in the plant.

Cons

Nasty, and making drinking cups. Equipment out dated and no plan to upgrade.

"Would not recommend for IT folks"

Former Employee - Anonymous in Mason, MI
    Former Employee - Anonymous in Mason, MI

I worked at Dart Container full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The health benefits are pretty unbelievable. Low copays and no deductibles. That said, they don't have FSA/HSAs.

Cons

There is no clear path to organizational integration; Everything is silo'd and every "director" has an opinion that overlaps another division of the business. Conflict resolution is more of a, "okay I heard you, but I'm not going to do anything about it". You could have positive feedback from dozens of employees throughout the business but make one mistake and you're out. The HQ is in the middle of nowhere.

Advice to Management

Don’t avoid or bulldoze conflict. Deal with it directly and evenhandedly.

"Not recommended"

Former Employee - Shift Supervisor in Corona, CA
    Former Employee - Shift Supervisor in Corona, CA

I worked at Dart Container full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Dart offered multiple training classes for supervisors. A person can gain some useful supervisory experience working here, although some of it will be in the category of "I see why this company's culture is not conducive to an efficient workplace". Compensation and benefits are average.

Cons

Management is encouraged to engage in too much negative reinforcement with employees and not enough positive reinforcement. There was no correlation between the training classes and actual practices.

Advice to Management

Remember that the number one motivator for all employees is to feel valued. Happy employees will value their job, show more dedication, and work harder.

9. "Bad upper management"

Current Employee - Clamp Driver in Corona, CA
    Current Employee - Clamp Driver in Corona, CA

I have been working at Dart Container full-time (More than a year)

Pros

O.t all day if you want the money. So it cool if you really need it

Cons

You end up living here. You nevet see your family or friends. Only 1 day off a week.

Advice to Management

Hire more supervisors

"Don't waste your time"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Plant City, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Plant City, FL

I have been working at Dart Container full-time

Pros

Good hourly workforce, they make the job worthwhile.

Cons

Dart Container is proud of its reputation as a highly ethical company? JOKE. Don't trust anyone.

Advice to Management

get rid of regional and upper management they are more worried with how they look rather than what they represent.

11. "operator"

Former Employee - Operations in Ada, OK
    Former Employee - Operations in Ada, OK

I worked at Dart Container full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

This is not a job you wanna work. They don't train you good and expect everything from you

Cons

Everything about this place sucks

Advice to Management

Get a better training program!!