Dart Container Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated December 2, 2017

1.0
Robert C. Dart

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Weekly pay schedule good benefits (in 18 reviews)

• They have a good work/life balance (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • hot hard work very poor management many language barriers all around so-so company a high turnover of people (in 8 reviews)

• Low pay compared to similar positions (in 6 reviews)

"Anonymous"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mason, MI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mason, MI

I have been working at Dart Container full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Salary is paid weekly not bimonthly.

Cons

First no sick pay, so people come to work sick because they do not want to use their vacation time. thus spreading whatever. Have little concern for their employees, they lack integrity, and do not know how to motivate anyone in a positive manner. They have training but do not utilize it. Management does not model good values, often displaying inappropriate messages to anyone around them. Favoritism is rampant often creating low moral among employees. Their wages are competitive and they do not reward for a job well done. No team work here, but if you kiss enough butts you will be rewarded. Does not have a good reputation as a progressive company that cares. Is not moving in a positive direction. Don't step on toes that are really there for the company. Not all employees are given the same respect and everyone should be respected regardless of the division they work in. Stop the in fighting and pettiness. No leadership from management.

Advice to Management

All management should be retrained or let go. They lack the insight or ability to lead in a positive manner. They care nothing for the employees who work under them which is why the turnover is so high and moral is low. Check your attitudes and put more effort in providing a positive work environment so that everyone can take pride in jobs. Better training and communication is needed stressing positive interactions with employees.

2. "Dart owners need to do something fast!!"

I have been working at Dart Container full-time

Pros

None anymore. Benefits used to be good, but they are slowly being taken away from us.

Cons

Incompetence from top down to production. Stop just before production. These are the only people really trying to do their job. And they get the least amount of pay. Favoritism runs rampant. Plant manager could not lead its employees out of a cup sleeve if it was open on both ends. No leadership whatsoever. Managers who want to move people from their shift and put on a different shift, even though the employee didn't ask to go, just to accomodate a shift that is fighting. No, no! Don't reprimand the people on THAT shift, punish all the people so your one problem is solved. No ethics on the part of upper management, especially the plant manager. No consequences for bad behavior if you are liked. 3rd shift doesn't even know what the plant manager looks like. Has NEVER been to the shift. Morale of the employees at an all time low. Attitudes are awful. No one cares because no one has given them a reason to care. Lowest wages in the entire area. Other companies get the better employees because they have standards & better wages. They won't just take anyone that walks in the door. And those that don't follow procedures & policies are out the door. Not here at Dart. Major safety violators get a "slap on the hand". No positive feedback on anything. No communication. Upper management takes off any time they want because they are salary & can get away with it. Maintenance personnel couldn't repair a stuck door, let alone fix a molding machine that's been down for over 2 weeks. When they do "fix" a machine, they leave, 5 minutes later the machine is down again. They are not even required to hang around long enough to see if it is gong to work. Benefits are going bad. Insurance is going up, but wages aren't. Cost of living is going up, wages aren't. Avoid at all costs(unless you want to be in upper management).

Advice to Management

Wake up! Those of you in the corporate offices need to do something immediately before your plants start having major walkouts. rd shift at this plant is close. All it will take is one to get the ball rolling & you'll have a major shutdown. Start interacting with the employees, get their feedback. You'll get a whole different story from the employees than you do those who tap dance around the truth. Do YOU follow your values?? If you do, come talk to the employees, just the employees. Don't announce it to everyone. Show up at a plant AFTER upper management has gone home(around 3pm, you'd be safe). Please do something soon! These people need their jobs, they have families to feed! But they are tired & fed up with all the bull.

3. "The Truth - Don't waste your time"

Former Employee - Office in Leola, PA
    Former Employee - Office in Leola, PA

I worked at Dart Container full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

insurance, 401k, benefits , some co-workers,

Cons

eo is a joke. If you are not a part of the group aka gang you have a chance to get fired for ....something that they pick ...from the company policies . (And let me tell you , some of DC policies are stupid). Some people's job is to watch and observe what are you doing the whole shift- they are called observers( you need to identify them first) . You can also find at D.C. Incompetence , inefficiency ,bad managers - bad management , lack of accountability , favoritism, gossip ,no loyalty , no integrity , slow decisions , misleading, unethical , unprofessionalism , very poor attitude from the managers , lack of leadership ,negative atmosphere, unorganized , incompetence , daily Hipa violations , daily BRC GMP OSHA violations. This place is a joke . Big difference from what you suppose to do and what are you doing . You also can be fired if you are friend with the wrong person, if management thinks you did something wrong,, if manager doesn't like you..etc.. Create and follow their own rules . It's the dart way.

When you see a supervisor don't let him ask you anything , tell him you are not comfortable doing .... this... and you will like more training ... and what a good supervisor he is .... and you are going to retire from DC

I know nobody from D.C. will read this and I don't care if they will, i'm writing for the future employees , so they will know what to expect .
    Don't put any soul into this job , is not worth it.
    Make some experience and after 2-3 yrs , RUN to another place . If you are stuck there , You will not have a life (depends on what you want).

Advice to Management

Every employee should be treated the same. Not worth repeating myself, so I will not .

4. "Don't waste your time."

I have been working at Dart Container full-time

Pros

The only pro is that you can gain experience to take elsewhere

Cons

Very poor management, Pay increases, no career advancement, poor work life balance

5. "It was cool"

Former Employee - Inspector Packer in Plant City, FL

I worked at Dart Container full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Teamwork everyone pulled their weight around the warehouse

Cons

It took mechanics forever to fix down machines and forever for management to address employee issues

6. "Management Not Interested In Growing"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mason, MI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mason, MI

I worked at Dart Container full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Nice facility in Mason, nice amenities for temp employees - furnished apartments, paid-for-leased auto, some temps work only 3 or 4 days a week and their travel is paid for.

Cons

Team manager lied about job consideration then tried to blame it on my attitude. I was NEVER late for work, NEVER left early, and drove over 100 miles daily for my commute. Even the week prior to the cancellation of my contract, this team manager was promising that I was the person she wanted for the open job. I was a temp worker responsible for training new hires on my team, then those new hires were promised my job without my knowledge. I don't recommend working for a management team that supports outright lies to employees and is so blazingly incompetent as to be obvious to any casual observer.

Advice to Management

Clean house. Bad managers lead to bad management, and this place is full of it. Just because you have the majority of the global market of your products does not mean you're functioning as an efficient business, you need to have some serious peer reviews of all managers and cut out the fat.

7. "Dart Containers"

Current Employee - Inspector/Packer in Corona, CA
    Current Employee - Inspector/Packer in Corona, CA

I have been working at Dart Container full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Helpful co-workers, fair pay, consistent hours

Cons

LAZY workers, Really LAZZZY trainers, EXTREMELY humid/hot, take a shower in your own sweat 5 mins after you enter the warehouse, Unorganized/Lazy management, dirty workplace, really old worker, huge language barrier unless you are fluent in Spanish, open sexual comments/harassment, complacent workers/management, all about quantity not so much quality, not a place you want to work unless you are extremely DESPERATE.

Advice to Management

Get out of your comfort zone and actually do your job, time for a huge turnover

8. "production"

I worked at Dart Container full-time

Pros

good healthcare benefits and paid time off

Cons

extremely physical job and certain employee favoritism

"Worse By The Day"

Current Employee - Material Handler in Horse Cave, KY
    Current Employee - Material Handler in Horse Cave, KY

Pros

Steady work, that's about it.

Cons

Favoritism is rampant EVERYWHERE! You will not get a chance to advance in this company unless you are in tight with a Manager.

You will be constantly passed over for positions you are the most qualified applicant for, unless you know some one involved in hiring.

Management is a JOKE! they know NOTHING of what their employees actually do in a shift.

Supervisors are incompetent, Hateful, & sit around all day! You will NEVER see a "Supervisor" help out on the floor.

Employees CONSTANTLY have to do jobs, other than the position they put in for. It is considered, "Unprepared to take on additional responsibility" when you express concerns over YOUR work falling behind due to you having to perform tasks OUTSIDE of your position.

Evaluations are not fair assessments of your performance; they are 100% based on your popularity with Supervision. You can work your butt off & NEVER receive recognition for your work. All Supervisors care about is controlling employees.

Supervisors are over-bearing, controlling, & egotistical. Even if you offer a better solution to a problem they WILL NOT embrace it. They are too consumed with being the "BOSS".

I have been told MULTIPLE times, my job & opinion DO NOT MATTER. "You just need to do what you are told & be quiet."

Supervision has no idea how to manage people. They are down right rude & do not want to improve. All they care about it making cups. "Making cups pays the bills, we don't really care about much else around here."

Management only cares about employees who are "New". If you have been with the company for more than 5yrs you are TRASH!! No bonuses for senior employees. No recognition for all your hard work. New employees are being hired right now making more an hour than I am after 20yrs of service. Due to New Hire bonuses, and increased hourly shift premiums. WHAT ABOUT THE EMPLOYEES WHO HAVE BEEN LOYAL TO YOUR COMPANY FOR YEARS!!!!!!

Advice to Management

This company needs more people involved from the floor. There is a HUGE lack of respect from Supervisors to employees. I have been with this company for over 20yrs. It is in by far the WORST state that I have EVER seen it in. There is CONSTANT talk of unions on the floor. Employees need, want, & EXPECT better treatment or you will see a union within the next year.

Pay your employees better!! I currently have had multiple additional tasks added to my job due to SAP & have not received one cent in compensation!! I am performing duties as a Material Handler that a Supervisor should be performing. I enjoy the challenge of performing the tasks. However, I do feel very under appreciated for the additional tasks I perform. I do not receive ANY additional pay, RESPECT, or any other perks.

"Inspector Packer"

Former Employee - Inspector Packer in Plant City, FL

I worked at Dart Container full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Paid holidays off
    Benefits
    Paid weekly
    Rotating schedule (Could be a plus or a minus depending on your preferences)
    Responsive HR
    Competitive pay

Cons

Extremely hot work environment

Plant City plant has a terrible safety rating. Exposed electrical parts often cause electrocution, fast-paced environment invites accidents, miscommunication with truck drivers/forklift drivers cause problems.

Managers do not provide the necessary tools to succeed in this very fast-paced job (machines always breaking down, not enough cleaning/work tools, understaffed with high expectations for achieving numbers)

Many of the coworkers/management are unfriendly and unhelpful. Gossip & personality conflicts are a huge problem. Many like to wander the plant or sit and do nothing. But it always seems like the hard working folks get "coachings," not the people who actually need it.

Managers tend to micromanage, but they otherwise don't spend a lot of time on the floor getting to know their employees or getting to know the job that the packers do.

Very understaffed. The management has changed the way the company operates over the years so that less people are doing more for more plant profits. However, this position is a revolving door as they are constantly hiring and people are constantly quitting. I can't help but wonder if it is more expensive to train people.

The health benefits exist, but I was not terribly impressed with them. Simple lab tests cost me several hundred dollars.

Advice to Management

Better training for the management, specifically on how to speak to employees without putting them on the defensive. (Example: It is better to say "What can i do to help you get these machines running?" rather than "Why aren't these machines on? I'm turning these back one and you need to leave them on."

I promise that most of us do not turn off the machines because we want to. 99% of the time, there is a problem preventing us from keeping the line moving at maximum speed and we need your help to get it running.