Data Computer Corp of America Reviews | Glassdoor

1. Featured Review

"Systems Engineer"

Current Employee - Systems Engineer
    Current Employee - Systems Engineer

I have been working at Data Computer Corp of America full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

DCCA is a great place to work! For starters, the management team has created a culture free of discrimination. The team that I interact with come from a wide array of the American population. Being a small Veteran owned company, the leaders of the company have a unique combination of compassion coupled with disciplined work ethic that promotes bringing out the best in me. The team that they have hired are distinguished in their fields and I find us all working in the highest performing degree possible in each of our work activities. The work is in leading edge technologies and all inputs from the engineering team are accepted and evaluated. The company has good procedures and processes that are documented and implemented. It is important to see a company that uses the policies that it publishes. The experience level of the team is incredible. I have met the president in person. How many employees can say that who work in high technology fields? He was interested in our team and me as individuals and was intimately engaged and aware of our stage in the contract. Our Vice President has been onsite several times and engages personally in our Design and program management reviews. That level of senior management engagement is refreshing, especially after a 31 year career in IT and Engineering, where I feel I have a decade or more of engineering expertise remaining in my career. The younger members of the team are equally enthusiastic and bring a wealth of expertise to the program. A very great place to work. I enjoy coming to work and the people that I work with.

Cons

I do not have any Cons to report at this time.

Advice to Management

Keep the personal and technical communication going that you have started. Stay engaged in the employees and programs that you have.

2. "Happy Employee!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ellicott City, MD
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ellicott City, MD

I have been working at Data Computer Corp of America full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Growing small business that cares about the employees! Company is always looking for ways to improve and create new opportunities. Recent improvements in benefits are just one example that company is listening to employees.

Cons

Limited number of contract opportunities and a high number of proposal activities at the same time.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing!

3. "Candidate experience with DCCA"

Current Employee - Program Manager in Falls Church, VA
    Current Employee - Program Manager in Falls Church, VA

Pros

Excellent hiring process. DCCA is extremely diligent in communicating with the candidate though out the process. Competitive Salary and benefits meeting or exceeding the industry.

Cons

No cons have been noticed with the company

4. "Professional and personable with an attention to detail."

Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor
    Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I have been working at Data Computer Corp of America as a contractor

Pros

I've found my point-of-contacts at DCCA to be engaged and detailed-oriented to my personal talents and experience. My initial engagement with the DCCA recruiter was professional and efficient and I felt at-ease with the exchange of information. Submitted concerns and/or questions concerning the hiring process were always returned within a reasonable period of time.

Cons

At the time of this review, I have interviewed and am on-board as a perspective-contractor for DCCA seeking a position. I have not started to work as an official employee.

Advice to Management

Just keep doing what you are doing. Overall, I was left with the impression that the people of DCCA were individuals that held my best-interests as a priority.

5. "Company overview"

I have been working at Data Computer Corp of America full-time

Pros

Nothing special, just average employment.
    Health Benefits are not bad.

Cons

1. Micromanagement.
    2. Few nasty people make this place bad
    3. Technology is out dated.
    4. Lots of operational and internal conflicts that override the overall success.
    5. Not kept informed of company/contract plans.

6. "sr. Software test engineer"

Current Employee - Senior QA Analyst in Springfield, VA
    Current Employee - Senior QA Analyst in Springfield, VA

I have been working at Data Computer Corp of America (More than a year)

Pros

I have been a software test engineer over ten years. I tested some many different types of application over the years. I have done automated or manual testing

Cons

I have learn a lot form this organization. Only think about this organization is very very short amount of time you have to executed so many test cases.

"TE"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Blythewood, SC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Blythewood, SC

I have been working at Data Computer Corp of America (More than a year)

Pros

11 holidays, flexible work hours

Cons

high pressure; contract based future

"Most disconnected management I have ever experienced."

Current Employee - Test Engineer in Columbia, SC
    Current Employee - Test Engineer in Columbia, SC

I have been working at Data Computer Corp of America full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Upper manager never come into the office. If you don't like ever seeing or communicating with the people you work for, then this is the place for you. If you're not a fan of praise or recognition, or acknowledgment in your existence at all, this is the place to work.

Cons

The contract management for my project micro-manage to the point that you feel like they are moving your diaphragm, forcing you to breath at their desired pace. They change policies and procedures without any recognition of the affect it will have on the employees or the project as a whole. Our project worked very well, meeting our federally required numbers each release, until the contract was 'given' to DCCA and the 'uppers' were given free reign to make whatever changes they entered their heads. The benefits are normal. There is nothing very special about the company. We had lunch with the 'upper-uppers' but they didn't introduce themselves to us. At the lunch we told them some of the issues we were having about the contract management and they gave all of us the impression that they didn't really care.

Advice to Management

Happy employees make better workers than miserable employees. On our contract, there is nothing but misery. The turn-over rate may go up.

9. "Professional, innovative and modern"

Current Employee - Software Quality Assurance Engineer and Testers in Baltimore, MD

Pros

The Human Resource department, Sharon specifically, has been the best HR person I've ever worked with.
    The compensation package is comparable to others in the industry.
    The IT department is quick to resolve issues.
    Professional and friendly environment.

Cons

Management should be evaluated. Also, Personality tests prior to hiring is a suggestion. Some people do not work well in teams, and instead of learning lessons, they insist they are correct and 50+ others are wrong.

Advice to Management

Communicate with your teams. Realize that people learn and listen differently. Try new approaches when your way doesn't work. Be willing to change and grow daily. Make sure all employees understand the goals. Respond to your emails. Do not use Comic Sans font and attach pictures to your signature if you want people to take you seriously. Using All Caps, red letters and underlining words in a group email is inappropriate and unnecessary. If there is miscommunication, make a phone call. Basically, learn email best practices and basic management skills.

10. "Great Company, Good Opportunities"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Ellicott City, MD
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Ellicott City, MD

Pros

DCCA is a great small-midsized company. Unlike most small businesses, they have many prime contracts so they have more options for job placement and choices in staffing. Company has a great continuing education policy that covers classes, seminars and conferences.

Cons

Can't think of too many downsides. The only downside might be that the staff is small enough that employees have to (or get to) be generalists, taking on some tasking outside their normal areas of expertise.