Data Recognition Corporation Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated April 23, 2017

2.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Susan Engeleiter

Pros
  • Had "team leaders" to assist and answer any questions you might have (in 15 reviews)

• Low stress and quiet work environment (in 13 reviews)

1. "Test Scorer"

Former Employee - Test Scorer in Jacksonville, FL
    Former Employee - Test Scorer in Jacksonville, FL

I worked at Data Recognition Corporation part-time

Pros

Free coffee all day, training was thorough and It paid bi-weekly.
    Training was intense, overall environment was serious, no joke.

Cons

Very stressful trying to accurately score essays and score over 120 papers per day.
    They should offer at least $15.00 hr.

Advice to Management

Try giving Scorers a little more practice time so we can be more confident in giving a score to an essay.

2. "Salaried Employee"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Maple Grove, MN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Maple Grove, MN

I have been working at Data Recognition Corporation (More than 10 years)

Pros

It's a comfortable place to work.

Cons

Lack of advancement opportunities, pay increases.

"If you like being micromanaged within an inch of your life, work here."

Current Employee - Test Scorer in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Test Scorer in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Data Recognition Corporation (More than 10 years)

Pros

Pay is slightly better than previous scoring test scoring company at this location. Also, when DRC took over, many of the same team leaders and supervisors stayed with DRC. So, you know what you are dealing with in terms of management. or leadership style. Also, work days or core hours are 1/2 hour shorter, which may not seem like much, but if you have things that you want to do after work it sometimes can be worthwhile.

Cons

To start, DRC seems to believe in keeping the scoring room even cooler than the previous test scoring company. While it was cool then, now it's downright frigid. Also, a lot of time is wasted in "meetings" during training and scoring. It's not really clear that these "meetings" really accomplish anything other than wasting time. DRC is definitely not interested in protecting the environment because of all the paper documents passed out during training and scoring of tests. As stated above, the pay is slightly better than the previous owner paid. However, that pay raise was instituted several months after being initially being promised a raise and DRC began having trouble keeping employees after finding out that their competitor, Pearson paid more than DRC. Also, as stated above many of the team leaders that worked for McGraw-Hill, also work for DRC. This can be both good and bad. The good is that you'll know what you are dealing with. The bad is that a lot of the incompetent leadership is still in place, even after negative local press about those individuals. You also should be prepared to train and qualify on a project and score it for a short while, then suddenly be told that they are out of books, and are waiting for more book to arrive. A little while you will realize that the books that come in after that the books are being scored by team leads and supervisors; which is unethical and dishonest. DRC isn't very diverse with leadership roles at this location; there are very few people of color in team lead and supervisory positions, which could possibly lead to biased test results. I know that is just a temporary position, you shouldn't have to put up with BS just because the position isn't long term.

Advice to Management

First of all, the scoring room doesn't have to be that cold; it's hard to concentrate and do a good job when you constantly cold. Recognize the efforts of your employees with something other than $50 dollar bonus for working extra hours. It isn't really a bonus if you have to work extra for it. Drawings and potlucks can often boost workplace morale. Also stop wasting paper, you are destroying the environment in your own little way with all these hand outs. Don't assign scorers to a project if scorers aren't going to get to score the majority of the project.. Finally, remove and replace the top leadership at this facility. They have garnered a lot of negative press locally for their incompetence. They also impact workplace morale negatively with their policies. Most corporations would fire individuals such as these, not keep them and give pay raises and promotions as DRC has done. Eventually, their incompetent leadership policies will begin to effect DRC's bottom line

"More of the same"

Former Employee - Test Scorer in King of Prussia, PA
    Former Employee - Test Scorer in King of Prussia, PA

Pros

System user friendly great pay rate easy PSSA test and rubric

Cons

Not aside
    Low employee moral leadership too dominant not invited to irrevelant like we ain't got a task to all learn...Too trusting..not helpful, called a liar when I was out sick,,,if it wasn't for my recorded phone call I had to eat my words.

Advice to Management

Treat as you want to be treat or run the risk of lack of trust just like in anything dealing with people

"OK as a last resort:"

Former Employee - Former Test Scorer in Cincinnati, OH
    Former Employee - Former Test Scorer in Cincinnati, OH

Pros

There is no dress code, and they provide free coffee. There are refrigerators for storing your bag-lunch, and microwave ovens for heating your food.
    There are some truly interesting people here, and they are all nice - some of them to a fault. The hours are typical, and you are kept apprised of your performance quality.
    No late or bounced paychecks!

Cons

Uninspiring pay is the main detriment here. If you need a job which will support a quality lifestyle, then this one probably won't fulfill that objective, unless you have another job to supplement your income, or are independently wealthy.

The work itself, grading school students' tests, is monotonous to the point of numbing your mind, and you might be surprised at how much it takes out of you. You may be disheartened when you see the standard lowered in the middle of grading a particular test question, because the students' responses aren't meeting the state's (DRC's customers) desires, or more appropriately, needs.

In addition, the work environment is stifling and uncomfortable. The rooms in which you're seated are often too warm or too cold, yet somehow still stuffy and with poor air-quality. To compound that, you are packed in closely with a bunch of other readers, so if one of them is sick or obnoxious, (and they will be) you are stuck with them anyway. You get only 30 minutes for lunch, which pretty much limits your options to bringing your own food from home, on-site vending machines offering only snack-quality food, or sometimes a food truck, selling food of a not much higher quality.

The lowish pay makes this job somewhat of a last resort for quite a few of the employees here, which ensures plenty of low quality coworkers, who are no longer in their career fields because of any number of personal shortcomings. And God forbid that any of these types should take a liking to you, because if they are friendly with the girls in the office, then just guess who is going to be sitting right next to you on the next project...

Advice to Management

It sounds like you all need to let a little more of the largess trickle down to the teeming minions.

From what I've read below, the upper levels of this company are enjoying some rather high-level perks which are typical in corporate America, however, they are doing this upon the backs of their low paid employees, and the taxpayers - all the while surely not hesitating to side with public sentiment and gleefully denigrate whatever overpaid CEO or corrupt Wall Street type is currently in the news.

"Formerly a great company to work for."

Former Employee - Project Manager in Albertville, MN
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Albertville, MN

I worked at Data Recognition Corporation full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

DRC has a great healthy living community. They've won some awards for their healthy environment. It was made very easy to live healthfully. Medical benefits are second to none.

Cons

The company is currently going through financial hardships that can make it an unstable environment. They let go a large number of employees last year.

Advice to Management

The company should try to focus on more than just the money; good employees don't stay around long when they're not being given the respect and compensation they deserve.

"Sinking ship"

Current Employee - Test Development in Plymouth, MN
    Current Employee - Test Development in Plymouth, MN

I have been working at Data Recognition Corporation full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

There are a lot of good people at DRC, people who work hard and are dedicated to doing things right. Flexible work schedule is beneficial.

Cons

Directors are out of touch and generally under qualified, with a few notable exceptions. It is the worker bees who keep the hive functional, but they are often expected to put in copious overtime (uncompensated) to get the job done. They are also the least appreciated. Directors are rarely onsite, and seem to work only when they want to. A major housecleaning at the director level, and promotions from within to fill those spots, would be the most beneficial thing the company could do. Unfortunately, lack of foresight, poor business management, and having the wrong people in leadership roles has cost the company major contracts of late, and there have been major financial hits as a result. There have been multiple rounds of "layoffs" (firings) in recent months. In some of the later rounds, exceptionally well-liked, respected, and hard-working people were let go with no rhyme or reason, and morale has taken an even bigger hit as a result. When incompetent, toxic directors are above this reorganization, you know there is a problem. Top talent that remains is actively seeking employment elsewhere. This is a sinking ship.

Advice to Management

Put more faith in your best employees, and less in the directors and managers. Things are not always as they seem, and recent staffing decisions have upset the apple cart in a big way.

"Boring work that's easy to get but hard to sustain"

Former Employee - Reader in Woodbury, MN
    Former Employee - Reader in Woodbury, MN

I worked at Data Recognition Corporation full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

• Decent hourly wage and bonuses.
    • Low-stress working environment.
    • Fair system for employee and supervisor evaluation.
    • Good training.
    • Friendly and casual atmosphere.
    • Team leaders and scoring directors were almost all competent and approachable.

Cons

• The temporary reader positions are project-based and there's no guarantee they'll have more than a week or two's work lined up for you. I was promised work from May through August in the interview, and instead was only called in for a total of six weeks. Overall, I felt a bit cheated.
    • HR seemed out of touch with the availability of their staff. There was no apparent logic to project scheduling decisions, and they often ran contrary to the employee input on the project sign-up sheets.
    • Extremely monotonous work, and you can't even listen to music while doing it.
    • Very sedentary working environment that involves staring at a screen reading bad handwriting all day is hard on the body.

Advice to Management

Let the scoring directors or team leaders help coordinate scheduling.

"Two different pictures for this company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sharonville, OH
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sharonville, OH

I have been working at Data Recognition Corporation part-time

Pros

The day-to-day work with other seasonal employees is great. Opportunity to make some good friends while bringing home a small paycheck every now and then. For the most part it's a low-stress work environment. You have the chance to put in a good day's work and yet not take work home with you.

Cons

There's been a definite trend the last few years of the full-time management disregarding how their business practices affect its seasonal employee work force, and the expectations are rather unilateral. They want you to commit to working a project til it's completion and yet, in the last couple years, most projects are ending way earlier than what they say they will. In the last year, management has even begun sending people home mid-week due to poor planning on its part, or perhaps for hidden ulterior motives. There are more and more examples of them bringing employees in to work for x-number of weeks and then employees getting one or two days here and one or two days of work there. The problem with this is that many employees are turning down other possible job opportunities with the expectation they will receive 35 or so hours/week (830-4pm) only to get piece meal work from DRC. Not to mention people skip vacations, doctor visits, etc. in order to be at work, only to be sent right back home because there is no work that day or week.

If thinking about working here, definitely think twice, especially if you have other options. The job and the potential pay for seasonal employment looks attractive on paper and in the interview, but it's a different story in real life. A project they say will last 3 weeks may in fact end a week early and if they have not planned properly, you may come in one day at 830 only to be sent back home by noon, or worse, told that you will not be working for the next 1 or 2 days at all. If an apology and a thanks is all you require to be okay with being jerked around like that, DRC is your place to work.

This is definitely an employers' job market right now, and DRC seems to be using that to its full advantage.

Advice to Management

Decisions made in your office affect real people with real lives, real bills, real expectations. You have a loyal seasonal workforce, but you are using up your goodwill with how you are treating us with the business decisions you are making. When you give people a 15 minute notice that they are being sent home for the rest of the week because there is no more work (for whatever reason), you are showing you don't care that some of us turned down other job opportunities, or passed on vacations or delayed doctor visits in order to commit to working on a project.....with the expectation of getting work. I have seen decisions made by your management all just to save 8 dollars/reader even though we were coming in for partial work weeks (and that's not what the commitment is on the project reminder cards) to complete a project by your deadline. "Thank you for your hard work" and "Thank you for your patience on this difficult project" comments are abundant from the full-time management, but words are cheap. The actual decisions that you are making and how they affect your work force's day-to-day lives are what make a real impact. Currently, they are perceived as quite negative. More and more your seasonal employees are feeling like mushrooms and that management wants us to feel and know that we are all very easily replaced. You are doing a good job of communicating it.

"Worked to death with no rewards"

Former Employee - Systems Administrative in Maple Grove, MN
    Former Employee - Systems Administrative in Maple Grove, MN

I worked at Data Recognition Corporation full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Fellow peers were a blast to work with, decent end of year bonus, not micro-managed

Cons

I had a lot of responsibility and cared a great deal about the success of my departments, but I didn't have enough people on my team to get the job done so I ended up working 6-7 days a week for over 3 years. I worked in the office during the day and worked from home at night because there were things that needed to be done that couldn't be done when folks were in the office working (I was in IT). The president of the company has no regard for employees who are outside of the "good ol' boys" network (I.e. a small group of executives and upper management). My boss tried to get me a raise for over 2 years because he knew how hard I worked, but the president wouldn't approve one because, as my boss told me, she really doesn't care. There have been 8 other people on my team there who have quit in the last 9 months, and 2 more are currently looking. Advice: ok company to work for as a contract employee, but beware of upper management and the president if you want to be a permanent employee. I saw many other peers who were slaves to their jobs and were not compensated financially or with flex time. I had to cancel 2 vacations last year due to work; I thought slavery was abolished a long time ago!

Advice to Management

If you truly care about your employees, show them by paying them what they are worth and trusting their managers to give them raises as they see fit. The president has no idea how people are performing, so why does she have to approve the raises? Put trust in the direct managers. CIO is incredibly controlling and not approachable, and has caused a lot of frustration among a lot of people with his wishy washy directives. CIO, make a stand and lead the company. Don't be mean to your subordinates and change your directives in the middle of projects.