Data Recognition Corporation Reviews | Glassdoor

2.0
Susan Engeleiter

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • No benefits for the majority of employees (in 7 reviews)

• You won't get full-time work in the season time (in 5 reviews)

"On the downslope"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Plymouth, MN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Plymouth, MN

I have been working at Data Recognition Corporation full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Reasonable pay, good hours, not incredibly difficult workflow. Sometimes there's downtime even. Full benefits, reasonable low-end HSA plan.

Cons

Very erratic workload. Weeks of downtime, then everything is due at once. Management has been increasingly lax on training and there's more offsite hiring lately, which makes communication difficult. The company's priority is signing more clients without regard for schedule, workload, or technological feasibility.

Advice to Management

There are technologies used that need updating ASAP. More emphasis on training and clear communication protocol. Less overpromising to clients.

"Poor Communication - Lack of Strong Leadership"

I worked at Data Recognition Corporation full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Solid paycheck and good benefits

Cons

Management and poorly run product launches

Advice to Management

Treat your direct reports like you would like to be treated. Respect employees that help you keep your job.

"Broken promises one more time"

Former Employee - Test Evaluator in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Test Evaluator in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Data Recognition Corporation part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Decent salary. Good supervisors & training.

Cons

Telling us that there was solid work through the end of June, then pulling the rug out from under us on the 25th of May.
    I'm losing over $2,000 I was counting on & desperately need.

Advice to Management

Keep your promises! How could they possibly end work 5 entire weeks early from what we were promised.

"Out of Touch"

Current Employee - Project Lead in Maple Grove, MN
    Current Employee - Project Lead in Maple Grove, MN

I have been working at Data Recognition Corporation full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Currently viable company, good people and nice offices. Good work-life balance as most work occurs during standard office hours.

Cons

Out-of-touch executives running company. If owner doesn't like you, you are not in good standing and this is communicated to employees at every level. I have seen bright people come and go because they are not treated well/fairly.

Advice to Management

Your ability to service contracts and the students reliant on those assessments should be based on the very best people handling the work. Consider shifting to merit-based reviews of your employees. Good work will serve your bottom line as well.

5. "Test Scorer"

Former Employee - Test Scorer in Jacksonville, FL
    Former Employee - Test Scorer in Jacksonville, FL

I worked at Data Recognition Corporation part-time

Pros

Free coffee all day, training was thorough and It paid bi-weekly.
    Training was intense, overall environment was serious, no joke.

Cons

Very stressful trying to accurately score essays and score over 120 papers per day.
    They should offer at least $15.00 hr.

Advice to Management

Try giving Scorers a little more practice time so we can be more confident in giving a score to an essay.

"Coming to Reality- Disappointed to what I signed onto"

I have been working at Data Recognition Corporation full-time

Pros

My job is good--mostly. I enjoy what I do and the people I normally work with. I like my manager. In the immediate circle which I am privileged to be a part of, we have a great team with very talented and competent people who care about the end customer and quality of work. Sadly and seriously reconsidering what exactly I signed onto.

Cons

Dealing with a lot of disappointment with the hierarchy of communication that happens within the "inner circle" of management, especially if you are not in the circle & no one asks you directly for your input or viewpoint; experienced general rudeness, gossiping, and small mindedness-back stabbing; co-workers who chose to act as obstacles; and difficultly in obtaining basic supplies to complete task.

Advice to Management

Unite various offices--we are all DRC employees no matter which office we are based at. Promote the idea we are all on the same team no matter what our position is, or what office we are at, or if offsite.

7. "Salaried Employee"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Maple Grove, MN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Maple Grove, MN

I have been working at Data Recognition Corporation (More than 10 years)

Pros

It's a comfortable place to work.

Cons

Lack of advancement opportunities, pay increases.

"If you like being micromanaged within an inch of your life, work here."

Current Employee - Test Scorer in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Test Scorer in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Data Recognition Corporation (More than 10 years)

Pros

Pay is slightly better than previous scoring test scoring company at this location. Also, when DRC took over, many of the same team leaders and supervisors stayed with DRC. So, you know what you are dealing with in terms of management. or leadership style. Also, work days or core hours are 1/2 hour shorter, which may not seem like much, but if you have things that you want to do after work it sometimes can be worthwhile.

Cons

To start, DRC seems to believe in keeping the scoring room even cooler than the previous test scoring company. While it was cool then, now it's downright frigid. Also, a lot of time is wasted in "meetings" during training and scoring. It's not really clear that these "meetings" really accomplish anything other than wasting time. DRC is definitely not interested in protecting the environment because of all the paper documents passed out during training and scoring of tests. As stated above, the pay is slightly better than the previous owner paid. However, that pay raise was instituted several months after being initially being promised a raise and DRC began having trouble keeping employees after finding out that their competitor, Pearson paid more than DRC. Also, as stated above many of the team leaders that worked for McGraw-Hill, also work for DRC. This can be both good and bad. The good is that you'll know what you are dealing with. The bad is that a lot of the incompetent leadership is still in place, even after negative local press about those individuals. You also should be prepared to train and qualify on a project and score it for a short while, then suddenly be told that they are out of books, and are waiting for more book to arrive. A little while you will realize that the books that come in after that the books are being scored by team leads and supervisors; which is unethical and dishonest. DRC isn't very diverse with leadership roles at this location; there are very few people of color in team lead and supervisory positions, which could possibly lead to biased test results. I know that is just a temporary position, you shouldn't have to put up with BS just because the position isn't long term.

Advice to Management

First of all, the scoring room doesn't have to be that cold; it's hard to concentrate and do a good job when you constantly cold. Recognize the efforts of your employees with something other than $50 dollar bonus for working extra hours. It isn't really a bonus if you have to work extra for it. Drawings and potlucks can often boost workplace morale. Also stop wasting paper, you are destroying the environment in your own little way with all these hand outs. Don't assign scorers to a project if scorers aren't going to get to score the majority of the project.. Finally, remove and replace the top leadership at this facility. They have garnered a lot of negative press locally for their incompetence. They also impact workplace morale negatively with their policies. Most corporations would fire individuals such as these, not keep them and give pay raises and promotions as DRC has done. Eventually, their incompetent leadership policies will begin to effect DRC's bottom line

"Please talk to your employees"

I have been working at Data Recognition Corporation full-time

Pros

The company has a strong reputation in the industry, the technology is very stable and well supported, from an HR perspective the pay is competitive and the benefits are excellent.

Cons

If you aren't in the tiny "circle of trust" you are ignored, your knowledge isn't appreciated and you aren't consulted about ANYTHING, even if you're the one who knows it the best. It;s not "who knows" but "who do you know", which leads to costly/poor decision making.

Advice to Management

Talk to your employees. Research says management is aware of 5% of a company's problems, while your staff knows about 90%. Just because you don't see a person in your executive hallway doesn't mean they don't have value. Don't always trust the messenger - go see for yourself.

"More of the same"

Former Employee - Test Scorer in King of Prussia, PA
    Former Employee - Test Scorer in King of Prussia, PA

Pros

System user friendly great pay rate easy PSSA test and rubric

Cons

Not aside
    Low employee moral leadership too dominant not invited to irrevelant like we ain't got a task to all learn...Too trusting..not helpful, called a liar when I was out sick,,,if it wasn't for my recorded phone call I had to eat my words.

Advice to Management

Treat as you want to be treat or run the risk of lack of trust just like in anything dealing with people