Data Systems International Reviews | Glassdoor

3.1
Matt McGraw

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • No 401k matching, salary is not competitive, seems like we're always in "crisis mode", no bonuses past few quarters (in 11 reviews)

• No 401K matching, no education assistance (in 9 reviews)

1. "Great atmosphere - low pay compared to the rest of the field"

I have been working at Data Systems International full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great break rooms, plenty of time off, ability to work from home

Cons

Low pay is my biggest complaint.

Advice to Management

Stop micromanaging teams

2. "Making Progress"

I have been working at Data Systems International full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Have seen some negative reviews out here...not debating any of them. However, want to offer another perspective.

DSI is a fast-paced environment where you have to be willing to jump in and be flexible to change. Culture is improving over the past quarter.

Self-starting is rewarded. Lots of great company momentum.

Nice company bonus plan - this year has been down a bit, but past 3 years has been excellent.

Medical Insurance is A+ on benefits

Development teams have great comradery and pretty tight-knit.

Cons

If you mind change, then DSI probably isn't the place for you. If you embrace it then you will like the environment.

No company 401K contribution

Medical premiums

Advice to Management

Your people are your greatest investment - make sure they never question that. The creativity and brain power of this company has unlimited potential. Make sure to tap into that resource.

3. "Great company if you're willing to work"

Current Employee - Account Executive in Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at Data Systems International full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Hard work is rewarded
    Great technology and smart co-workers
    Foster culture of team work
    Feel valued for your contributions
    Compensation is competitive
    Lot's of opportunity to learn and grow as technology evolves

Cons

There is no where to hide if you don't work hard as as everyone's contribution is noticed. 401K match would be a nice perk.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing. I believe the future of the company continues to be positive.

"Title Hidden"

I have been working at Data Systems International full-time

Pros

-Family feel atmosphere
    -Start-up mentality
    -Nice pay
    -Work/Life balance

Cons

-If you don't like change then DSI isn't for you
    -Management doesn't always talk to each other which creates confusion and frustration amongst the teams that are delivering on a project

Advice to Management

-Make a choice and stick with it until the project is complete rather than change midway through
    -Increase communication amongst the management team
    -Move from small company mentality to medium size business mentality

5. "Great KC Company"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, MO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, MO

I worked at Data Systems International full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Modern Office Space w/ Open Layout. // In I.T. there are opportunities to get your hands on quite a few different technologies (hardware and software). // Friendly people work there...for the most part they are great at hiring folks are who are not only job specific good fits, but cultural fits that makes coming to work each day that much more enjoyable. // Competitive Pay & Good Benefits. Adoption Assistance is nice. // Lots of employee perks like game rooms, many days where lunch or snacks are provided, quarterly all company syncs so everyone can be up to date on company progress etc. // Willingness to assist with continued education //

Cons

Some of the direct managers could be re-evaluated. There seem to be several departments that would complain of their managers holding them back or micromanaging. When I left, I heard that that was being worked on/addressed. // Above & Beyond award system focuses mostly on 1-2 specific departments; more diversity in their recognition of hard work would be good for moral.

Advice to Management

DSI has created a successful, modern tech company in KC that anyone on the outside looking in would love to work for. My only suggestion would be that management work a little harder to get on board and be part of the great culture that exists among the employees. If the gap that existed between employees and management was bridged just a little more, this could easily be one of the best companies to work for in KC.

"Great place for entry level"

Current Employee - Software Developer in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at Data Systems International full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Nice office space, ability to work from home, decent benefits, great co-workers and manager.

"Designer"

I have been working at Data Systems International full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

downtown location is about it...

Cons

Ok look. We have a 2.7 rating on here for a reason.
    For anyone thinking of coming here - read all of the negatives. There are is a lot of truth to them. The reviews with 4 or 5 stars - sure read them but dont they sound "canned" - sorta like Human Resources wrote them to try and prevent a low rating? Just sayin

Advice to Management

Read above. To the CEO - you cant hide from this. Act as if you are hiring yourself.................................................would you want to be treated this way? How do you look at yourself in the mirror at night?

"Cutting Edge Supply Chain Company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at Data Systems International full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great office, easy drive to work, leading edge market provider for suppy chain solutions, privately held, profit sharing program

Cons

matching 401k is not available, long term incentive program isnt available.

Advice to Management

You need offer long term incentive programs. Employees understand short term trade offs for profit sharing if a long term incentive program could be implmented.

"Thankful I worked there; thankful I moved on"

I worked at Data Systems International full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Flexibility, independent work, good salary, good benefits

Cons

Lack of communication, performance reviews system is quite flawed

"Detrimental to your professional growth"

I worked at Data Systems International full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You will learn to better analyze a company and their culture before accepting your next job offer.

Cons

The “Zero Stars” review hits the nail on the head. If you are looking for a place to grow and develop professionally, look elsewhere.

Management operates off gut feelings, often with drastic emotional reactions. There is a severe lack of direction throughout the entire organization. Every year, management will implement a cursory plan for change that begins with firings and organizational restructures, but always ends with the same chaos and confusion. The employees will continue to show up to work aimlessly under the whip.

Behind closed doors, after hours, or even during the company-wide quarterly meetings, you will find DSI is a classic example of a “good ol’ boys” environment where chauvinistic, bigoted, and racist remarks are casually shrugged off when reported to management.

I would strongly encourage anyone interviewing for a job a DSI to visit with a current employee who has been at the company at least a year. I have had many colleagues approach me, inquiring about openings with DSI. The only recommendation I can give, is to not give them the time of day. It is difficult to capture the pernicious experience that is working at DSI in a brief review.

In short, regardless of where you are in your career, do not be fooled by the superficial perks marketed to candidates. The benefits are not worth it, and when compared others in the industry, prove to be sub-par.

Advice to Management

I have heard that it truly was a nice company for a while, until the founder turned the keys over to his son. At this point, inertia appears to be the only thing keeping DSI afloat. I would suggest you sell.