Data Systems International Reviews | Glassdoor

1.0
Matt McGraw

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • No 401k matching, salary is not competitive, seems like we're always in "crisis mode", no bonuses past few quarters (in 11 reviews)

• No 401K matching, no education assistance (in 9 reviews)

"Designer"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at Data Systems International full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

downtown location is about it...

Cons

Ok look. We have a 2.7 rating on here for a reason.
    For anyone thinking of coming here - read all of the negatives. There are is a lot of truth to them. The reviews with 4 or 5 stars - sure read them but dont they sound "canned" - sorta like Human Resources wrote them to try and prevent a low rating? Just sayin

Advice to Management

Read above. To the CEO - you cant hide from this. Act as if you are hiring yourself.................................................would you want to be treated this way? How do you look at yourself in the mirror at night?

"Detrimental to your professional growth"

I worked at Data Systems International full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You will learn to better analyze a company and their culture before accepting your next job offer.

Cons

The “Zero Stars” review hits the nail on the head. If you are looking for a place to grow and develop professionally, look elsewhere.

Management operates off gut feelings, often with drastic emotional reactions. There is a severe lack of direction throughout the entire organization. Every year, management will implement a cursory plan for change that begins with firings and organizational restructures, but always ends with the same chaos and confusion. The employees will continue to show up to work aimlessly under the whip.

Behind closed doors, after hours, or even during the company-wide quarterly meetings, you will find DSI is a classic example of a “good ol’ boys” environment where chauvinistic, bigoted, and racist remarks are casually shrugged off when reported to management.

I would strongly encourage anyone interviewing for a job a DSI to visit with a current employee who has been at the company at least a year. I have had many colleagues approach me, inquiring about openings with DSI. The only recommendation I can give, is to not give them the time of day. It is difficult to capture the pernicious experience that is working at DSI in a brief review.

In short, regardless of where you are in your career, do not be fooled by the superficial perks marketed to candidates. The benefits are not worth it, and when compared others in the industry, prove to be sub-par.

Advice to Management

I have heard that it truly was a nice company for a while, until the founder turned the keys over to his son. At this point, inertia appears to be the only thing keeping DSI afloat. I would suggest you sell.

"Toxic work environment"

I worked at Data Systems International full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Don’t let the pros such as a modern office space, downtown location and game room trick you into applying at DSI. These perks will keep the curtain over your eyes for a few weeks, however your eyes will open to the toxic, unprofessional and degrading culture; showing you the true DSI.

Cons

Work place politics is extremely prevalent within this organization from the top down. If you are on the CEO’s good side you will be untouchable, actions such as demeaning your team, blaming others for your mistakes and failing to deliver on basic aspects of your job will be acceptable in the eyes of management. These actions are the type of traits that leadership look for when promoting within the work place, thus giving these employees power to further the decline of DSI.
    If work life balance is important to you, then DSI is not for you. Whether it is from the lack of training, unrealistic expectations or unmanageable workload you will eventually get thrown under the bus and kicked to the curb because of leadership’s inability to execute. The organization is run on paranoia with a vision and strategy that changes every few months.
    Outside of the failing operational and leadership aspects, they do not offer a 401K matching or education assistance. Again, do not let them wine and dine you with the “bonus” program; this is a rigged system that has no clear expectations. You will never receive your whole bonus especially with the lack of transparency of this program, that is used more like a stick than a carrot.

Advice to Management

My advice is not for Management, it is for those who are reading these Glassdoor reviews on DSI before applying for a position. If you think these negative reviews are posted by a handful of disgruntled employees that were let go because of their poor performance, you would be mistaken. Take these reviews seriously and know that you cannot change the company culture or toxic work environment. The positive reviews on this company were written by employees that were bribed by their management. I know this to be true because I was asked several times to write a positive review during my first few weeks at this company.

"Toxic work environment. Don't think you can change it."

I worked at Data Systems International full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Nice office space. Working downtown has it's advantages. They bring in a lot of free food. There are quite a few marketable perks they use for recruiting purposes. You'll need that free gym membership to work off some stress.

Cons

The CEO openly references people having 'targets on their backs' and 'guns to their heads' in company-wide meetings. People get fired all the time for no reason, or for any reason. Goals and variable compensation plans get changed all the time. Seriously, it's a den of vipers.

Advice to Management

Nothing will change while Matt McGraw is in charge. He is the root of the problem.

"N/A"

I worked at Data Systems International full-time

Pros

Downtown can be a fun place to work. But I guess you would have to stop working to enjoy it. Good luck with that if you work at DSI.

Cons

The leadership at this company is awful and training is horrific. No feedback is given on goals or performance and they fire people out of the blue. No warning, no reason. It's like they are playing Russian Roulette. No company match on 401k contributions.

Advice to Management

Stop pacing the floors at 5:20 PM every day (including Friday) to see who is still there and if they are there, stop getting in their face and saying "Have you sold anything today?" No one wants to work for micro-managers like that.

"DO NOT EVEN CONSIDER"

I worked at Data Systems International full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Nice people, for the most part

Cons

-make a mistake and you will be fired on the spot
    -no one knows what anyone is doing, such poor communication it is unbelievable
    -no training at all and expected to perform the job immediately and exceed expectations
    -tell you about their bonus structure but make it extremely difficult to get the bonus
    -politics in this company are so apparent, you will feel like you are in high school
    -no 401k matching

Advice to Management

None. You know how to treat employees and you decide not to do it. Turnover is unbelievable so that tells you all you need to know.

"RUN! DO NOT EVEN APPLY!"

I worked at Data Systems International full-time

Pros

For the most part, people are nice.

Cons

--no training on anything and expect you to get it Day 1
    --will fire you on the spot if you make a mistake
    --management and leadership executive will be looking over your shoulder daily to see what you are doing and what you are working on and make sure you are doing exactly what they want you to do (even though they have and never will tell you)
    --no job security, don't match 401k, have to pay for parking every month
    --POLITICS-- yes every company has politics but this takes the cake, pretty much a bunch of high school girls running this company

Advice to Management

Nothing. You know how to treat employees right and respectfully and you choose not to do it. I wouldn't even tell my worst enemy to work here.

"I would have given one less star, but "Zero Stars" is not allowed."

Former Employee - Consultant in Kansas City, MO
    Former Employee - Consultant in Kansas City, MO

I worked at Data Systems International full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

My direct deposit paycheck was always deposited on time. There is a pool table in one of the break rooms.

Cons

Don't be fooled by the image they try to present. It is all window-dressing and an emperor with no clothes. The only managers that have not been fired are the ones that tell the Sociopath CEO what he wants to hear.
    This is an organization ruled by greed and paranoia. If you are looking for long hours, little thanks, no support and to have your job threatened on a weekly basis, you will love DSI. Otherwise, don't give them the time of day.

Advice to Management

Sell this catastrophe to the first fool willing to offer you eight figures. You broke it and you are never going to be able to fix it.

"DSI lacks diversity (Look at the leadership page on website)"

Current Employee - Software Developer II in Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Software Developer II in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at Data Systems International full-time

Pros

A Place to get in, get your experience quickly

Cons

Check out the leadership page.
    They are all white men. They use to have two women in senior leadership but they got rid of them recently as well. (They fire people often here!)

The rest of us know better than to say anything other than yes to the leadership team. At that level they lack diversity in people and diversity in thought.

And it is true that if you want to get a traditional education that would help you grow your career traditionally (i.e. become senior leader) - they will NOT support it.

Advice to Management

Hire someone else to run the company - growth in Tech is the only thing covering up how bad this place really is...

"Independent contractor"

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Oakland, CA
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Oakland, CA

I worked at Data Systems International as a contractor

Pros

The best part about the job was being able to meet different people and clients.

Cons

Shady upper management. I chose to leave the contract for a better opportunity and left on good terms. As I waited for my final check, nearly 3 months later, the company contacts me and tells me they are withholding a percentage of my paycheck for a claim I was not aware of and could not be justified. Clearly they were upset with my decision to separate. Poor judgment and lack of communication.

Advice to Management

Respect every employee. Be transparent and honest with your team.