Data Systems International Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated May 25, 2017

1.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Matt McGraw

1. "DO NOT EVEN CONSIDER"

I worked at Data Systems International full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Nice people, for the most part

Cons

-make a mistake and you will be fired on the spot
    -no one knows what anyone is doing, such poor communication it is unbelievable
    -no training at all and expected to perform the job immediately and exceed expectations
    -tell you about their bonus structure but make it extremely difficult to get the bonus
    -politics in this company are so apparent, you will feel like you are in high school
    -no 401k matching

Advice to Management

None. You know how to treat employees and you decide not to do it. Turnover is unbelievable so that tells you all you need to know.

"I would have given one less star, but "Zero Stars" is not allowed."

Former Employee - Consultant in Kansas City, MO
    Former Employee - Consultant in Kansas City, MO

I worked at Data Systems International full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

My direct deposit paycheck was always deposited on time. There is a pool table in one of the break rooms.

Cons

Don't be fooled by the image they try to present. It is all window-dressing and an emperor with no clothes. The only managers that have not been fired are the ones that tell the Sociopath CEO what he wants to hear.
    This is an organization ruled by greed and paranoia. If you are looking for long hours, little thanks, no support and to have your job threatened on a weekly basis, you will love DSI. Otherwise, don't give them the time of day.

Advice to Management

Sell this catastrophe to the first fool willing to offer you eight figures. You broke it and you are never going to be able to fix it.

"DSI lacks diversity (Look at the leadership page on website)"

Current Employee - Software Developer II in Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Software Developer II in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at Data Systems International full-time

Pros

A Place to get in, get your experience quickly

Cons

Check out the leadership page.
    They are all white men. They use to have two women in senior leadership but they got rid of them recently as well. (They fire people often here!)

The rest of us know better than to say anything other than yes to the leadership team. At that level they lack diversity in people and diversity in thought.

And it is true that if you want to get a traditional education that would help you grow your career traditionally (i.e. become senior leader) - they will NOT support it.

Advice to Management

Hire someone else to run the company - growth in Tech is the only thing covering up how bad this place really is...

"Independent contractor"

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Oakland, CA
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Oakland, CA

I worked at Data Systems International as a contractor

Pros

The best part about the job was being able to meet different people and clients.

Cons

Shady upper management. I chose to leave the contract for a better opportunity and left on good terms. As I waited for my final check, nearly 3 months later, the company contacts me and tells me they are withholding a percentage of my paycheck for a claim I was not aware of and could not be justified. Clearly they were upset with my decision to separate. Poor judgment and lack of communication.

Advice to Management

Respect every employee. Be transparent and honest with your team.

"Lack of commitment to employee's futures (development and financial)"

Current Employee - Software Developer in Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Software Developer in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at Data Systems International full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Employees are eager to learn and contribute.

Cool downtown vibe although safety is more of a concern now vs. when we were in OP, KS.

Cons

Leadership lacks (or does not share)
    Strategic direction of the company
    Poor employee development---see below

**Note that the company has stood up and stated (on several occasions) "DSI does not provide higher education reimbursement because DSI does not believe in it."

***Just remember all of the leaders on the stage when that is said ALL have higher educations. So if all they will support for us is to get certifications.......what does that say about their outlook for us as employees/future managers, leaders etc***

Also no 401k - another sign of leadership's commitment to me as a long term employee

Advice to Management

Commit to your employees....its starting to feel like a puppy mill.

"Not Recommended Other than for a Short Term Stay"

Former Employee - Sales Manager in Kansas City, MO
    Former Employee - Sales Manager in Kansas City, MO

Pros

Good coworkers who have a sense of teamwork, nice downtown KC location and the company is committed to employees working with today's most current technology.

Cons

The executive office lacks any true strategy for growing the company and the CEO often displays a lack of integrity and any long term support for his own decisions. Like many 2nd generations that assume the CEO mantle, this CEO often displays that he is in over his head on an almost weekly basis.

Advice to Management

Continue to focus on your efforts to ensure a good work environment as defined by your employees, establish an actual strategy to grow the business and avoid the dismissive attitude that is often displayed by the executive team.

"No Excuse in today's world"

I worked at Data Systems International full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Clean Offices
    Can wear shorts to work

Cons

DSI distracts employees w/ parties & xbox & darts -when they should focus on -

401k match - no excuse in today's world - the match is a way for a company to investment in employees futures. (Its all about the taxes - DSI could provide significant tax deferred retirement benefits to their employees with relatively minimal impact on the Millionaire owners bottom line)

Cost of benefits are WAY HIGH (Shop around with other companies to confirm)

Lack of business vision & strategy at the executive level. Trickles down to employees.

Advice to Management

Invest in your employees future NOT just how much fun you can provide them during the lunch hour

"Steer Clear!! You were warned, worse experience"

Former Employee - Software Quality Analyst in Kansas City, MO
    Former Employee - Software Quality Analyst in Kansas City, MO

I worked at Data Systems International full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Company parties, holiday parties, free beer, work from home is great, but you'll be micromanaged when you do. No learning curve, if you don't catch on fast, this is not the place for you.

Cons

Discrimination, they have you sign a form when you leave or discharged not to sue them! This why so many openings are listed. This company has high turnover, as I was told by long time employees, not to many people are there past a couple of years! The don't disclose on the job posting that the company is driven on ERP systems and the frameworks you have to learn on how the system is integrated, very difficult!

Advice to Management

Have some dignity and stand up for your peers. I would expect management to help those they are over and not to have to save their own hide!

"Terrible company, leadership is awful"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Overland Park, KS
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Overland Park, KS

Pros

There are very few reasons to ever work at a DSI. The management team is the worst I have ever soon in my 22 years as a professional working in tech companies.

Cons

Not sure where to start. The zero match on the 401K ever is good. There is a private jet for executives only for personal and sometimes professional use. This is called "DSI Air 401K" by the common people in the company.

CEO is son of the founder. Silver spoon syndrome. Woefully inadequate to fill the role as a leader. In the 2.5 years I worked there I saw him come out of his office 2 times. Was only there 10% of the time.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees with some respect. Kansas City is a small town and you have a really bad reputation in the technology community.

"RUN! DO NOT EVEN APPLY!"

I worked at Data Systems International full-time

Pros

For the most part, people are nice.

Cons

--no training on anything and expect you to get it Day 1
    --will fire you on the spot if you make a mistake
    --management and leadership executive will be looking over your shoulder daily to see what you are doing and what you are working on and make sure you are doing exactly what they want you to do (even though they have and never will tell you)
    --no job security, don't match 401k, have to pay for parking every month
    --POLITICS-- yes every company has politics but this takes the cake, pretty much a bunch of high school girls running this company

Advice to Management

Nothing. You know how to treat employees right and respectfully and you choose not to do it. I wouldn't even tell my worst enemy to work here.