Data Systems International Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated April 7, 2017

4.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Matt McGraw

1. "A good place to work"

Current Employee - Software Developers in Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Software Developers in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at Data Systems International full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I really love working here DSI it is a great place. I work in development we have a bunch of great benefits like health care, free gym, quarterly bonus, competitive salaries. A very cool break room with xboxOne, arcade, pool table, and dart table. Also have a company kitchen.

Cons

For Development not a lot of opportunities for career advancement. Causes DSI to loose a lot of talented people

Advice to Management

Development managers are all great

2. "Software Developer Intern"

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern

I worked at Data Systems International as an intern

Pros

The entire company is full of great people. Everyone is very approachable and kind.

Cons

There wasn't that much challenge for the interns when I was there.

"Quality Analyst IV"

I worked at Data Systems International full-time

Pros

Focused management, cutting edge technologies, interesting projects, good co-workers, good office space.

Cons

Training as technologies evolve is entirely up to the individual. Co-workers provide some support; but time is lost seeking the required background information.

"Expectations are High"

I have been working at Data Systems International full-time

Pros

I work with a great team. The people are passionate. We receive a lot of fun benefits. My boss is interested in what I want to do and how I want to grow my career. I love not being micro-managed. Upper-leadership, including the CEO, knows my name, which is pretty cool.

Cons

Follow through is slow. There are many obstacles in the way of seemingly simple changes. People often seem more interested in finding blame rather than moving along and fixing the issue. Thank you's aren't regularly handed out. The work/life balance is a bit rocky at times.

"Great opportunities and salary only overshadowed by very expensive health insurance."

I have been working at Data Systems International (Less than a year)

Pros

Smaller company that's growing fast. There is lots of perks that the company provides that makes it cool to work here. Free gym membership, random catered food, etc.

Lots of career growth here and really bright people. For the most part management is easy going. Company stays close to the bleeding edge of technology so you get to see lots of cool things.

Slick headquarters that has cool technology built into the place. Its a little strict on what can be out in the open and nothing is labeled in the break rooms.

Cons

Benefits. A family of 4 insured will cost you over $600 a month. That's medical alone. Dental is cheap for the most part. Vision is typical. They tout that they pay 60 something % of the overall cost though. Seems like they are getting ripped off and have no concept of shopping around and doing everything to find a better plan.

Coverage is average If not just a hair better than that. Tack on $80 for parking in the deck every month and the 1% KCMO tax and you will see any pay raise you get coming here go away.

No 401k matching. They seem to have no desire to change this.

Advice to Management

If you want to hire the best talent, compete and retain people, start with your benefits. This is absolutely unacceptable. Everything else seems good.

"Great place to grow"

I have been working at Data Systems International full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Throughout my time here, I've ultimately had endless opportunities to make this job what I want. I was given initial steps with my position, and since then, I've been able to run with it completely. I'm trusted to make suggestions and implement changes I'd like to see within my position. I'm expected to work hard, but I've seen the benefit of doing so through compensation and work place freedom from my supervisors. In addition, DSI is working towards becoming one of the top employers in the city and I'm excited to see the some of the discussed programs initiated.

Cons

There wasn't a great deal of initial training for me. I've gotten where I am based a good deal on individually taking on challenges with minimal direction as they come.