Data Systems International Software Developer Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Fun place to work"

Current Employee - Senior Software Developer in Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Senior Software Developer in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at Data Systems International full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Nice facilities, work from home, great people, challenging work. During my time here I have always been treated with dignity and respect. The pay and bonuses are good

Cons

Use it or lose it vacation policy not good

Advice to Management

Change vacation policy. Be careful not to treat people as carbon based office equipment

2. "A good place to work"

Current Employee - Software Developers in Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Software Developers in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at Data Systems International full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I really love working here DSI it is a great place. I work in development we have a bunch of great benefits like health care, free gym, quarterly bonus, competitive salaries. A very cool break room with xboxOne, arcade, pool table, and dart table. Also have a company kitchen.

Cons

For Development not a lot of opportunities for career advancement. Causes DSI to loose a lot of talented people

Advice to Management

Development managers are all great

"DSI lacks diversity (Look at the leadership page on website)"

Current Employee - Software Developer II in Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Software Developer II in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at Data Systems International full-time

Pros

A Place to get in, get your experience quickly

Cons

Check out the leadership page.
    They are all white men. They use to have two women in senior leadership but they got rid of them recently as well. (They fire people often here!)

The rest of us know better than to say anything other than yes to the leadership team. At that level they lack diversity in people and diversity in thought.

And it is true that if you want to get a traditional education that would help you grow your career traditionally (i.e. become senior leader) - they will NOT support it.

Advice to Management

Hire someone else to run the company - growth in Tech is the only thing covering up how bad this place really is...

"Lack of commitment to employee's futures (development and financial)"

Current Employee - Software Developer in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at Data Systems International full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Employees are eager to learn and contribute.

Cool downtown vibe although safety is more of a concern now vs. when we were in OP, KS.

Cons

Leadership lacks (or does not share)
    Strategic direction of the company
    Poor employee development---see below

**Note that the company has stood up and stated (on several occasions) "DSI does not provide higher education reimbursement because DSI does not believe in it."

***Just remember all of the leaders on the stage when that is said ALL have higher educations. So if all they will support for us is to get certifications.......what does that say about their outlook for us as employees/future managers, leaders etc***

Also no 401k - another sign of leadership's commitment to me as a long term employee

Advice to Management

Commit to your employees....its starting to feel like a puppy mill.

"Some disappointment but content"

Current Employee - Software Development in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at Data Systems International full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Close to KCMO downtown activities

Does a decent job of providing social atmosphere but I can see how that can be a distraction, as others have said on here, depending on personal goals and what you want out of your time at DSI

Neat offices

Cons

Definitely no direction from Senior Leadership - no one really knows "why" they are working on something. Just "do it or we will loose this sale" with a strong hint of your job is on the line every time. No follow through afterwards. To be honest this place is neat but the work is really just a grind.

Culture is a fine line of people that "want" to work here and those that "have" to work here.
    (about 50/50)

The company appears to "let chunks of people go" every couple of years.

Advice to Management

Reduce the "Grind" on us

Hire people you actually want to keep so we don't have to keep training them just to see you get rid of them

Treat employees like part of the long term goal not just use us as tools.

"Best place I've worked"

Current Employee - Software Developer III in Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Software Developer III in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at Data Systems International full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The senior management we have now is serious about looking after their people. We get some nice perks and benefits,plus the only really good bonus system of any company I ever worked for.
    We have quarterly meetings in which everyone gets told exactly what's happening in the company, good bad and otherwise. They're big on communication, here. Which is a good thing.
    Company's been in IT for a heck of a long time, but at the same time is nimble enough to reinvent itself as the industry changes.
    Lots of smart folks here; it's kind of a gauntlet getting in (at least on the programming side). I had to talk to 8 different people before they brought me on board. You know the people who you work with have to have their stuff together.
    Good diverse workforce, plenty of female/minority programmers in senior positions and their opinions taken seriously.

Cons

The offices are pretty to look at, but that's not what offices are for. Much better to have noise-baffling cubicle walls so we can concentrate on our work.
    No 401K matching. Management has addressed this before, but I still feel it could be done on a graduated system, say 5% per year of service or whatever.
    Likewise, use-or-lose vacation days. Yes, I understand they want to make sure we take our days, but I feel it would make more sense for the company PTO hours to have an expiration date instead, so they could be more spread out, we could take long trips if we wanted, and it would also avoid the December "dead zone"--just try and get anything done the last two weeks of the year.
    Does extensive charity efforts, but mostly in benefit of a shelter which is notoriously anti-LGBT, so I cannot in good conscience participate in any of their activities.

Advice to Management

Keep up the communication channels, you're doing it right. Consider the suggestions above. Keep getting smart people and listening to them. Consider not just working with City Union all the time. Maybe ReStart or Harvesters. Or Habitat for Humanity would be an excellent charity to support. Or even just do them in rotation.

"Excellent place to work"

Current Employee - Software Developer in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at Data Systems International full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Competitive salary.
    Respect for employees.
    Focused on quality results.
    Great work-home life balance
    Working environment is comfortable and professional
    Like to have some fun
    Ideal location for me
    Work from home policy is nice

Cons

Not much in the way of professional QA.
    Not much cross communication between app teams.
    Too much reliance on developers to do support.
    Support people do not seem very well trained and do not seem to use the tools they have been given.

Advice to Management

Place some priority on testing resources. Keep the casual yet professional environment.

"Small midwest technology company that is making big difference in mobility"

Current Employee - Software Development in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at Data Systems International full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Although I am a recent employee here with less than a year under my belt, I am not new to technology firms and have worked for Fortune 100 firms on down to little startups. Things are not perfect but the work is great and cutting edge. How many companies can you say your doing cutting edge fun work (mobility in the enterprise in our case) while having 34 years of business under their belts. Of all the companies I have been at I can truly say DSI has been one of the best.

DSI is growing and has a fantastic new office in the Power and Light district of Kansas City. Management has changed a bit and things are really going well in the Development group now. People come in and work hard for 8 hours. I haven't seen any crazy hours that were a sign of the past. Heck the management team has even planned a few fun events and this has been a real boon.

Benefits are wonderful. I can't disclose all of them here, but they are better than some of the top companies I have worked for in the past. Many changes just in the last 3 months that have made DSI top notch to work for.

If you love doing work on multiple mobile systems and ERP's you will love DSI for sure!

Cons

There are still a few things that could be improved of course. It would be nice if the office were less of a showcase and more of a comfortable place to work. The office is really high tech and beautiful but at times it feels like we are not really welcome in it due to a few policies around personal effects and plants. Still with such a new office I can understand the pride we all feel in this place.

The break rooms are there to be used and should be allowed to keep things on the counters. That is always a pain when you have to be hyper clean 24/7. Old office felt more homey in that regard.

Overall very minor gripes. Nothing like I have read in some of the other reviews of DSI. They don't even sound like the same place I work.

Advice to Management

Relax about the personal space people work and let us personalize it some like at Google or other Silicone Valley companies. The office looks like a Silicone Valley tech company except for the personalization that is highly encouraged there. Let us do the same.