DataStax Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

4.2
Billy Bosworth

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Ability to work from home is also a plus (in 12 reviews)

• The open source product can support amazing applications (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • Also, in my experience I've never witnessed the executive team, and especially the CEO, not interacting with the sales team (in 8 reviews)

• Open source Cassandra works just fine for many tech companies (in 7 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Huge Market Opportunity and Management that places company growth as priority"

Current Employee - Marketing
    Current Employee - Marketing

I have been working at DataStax full-time

Pros

If you are looking for career that offers you the opportunity to be part of a company that will completely disrupt the database market - this is it. We have a customer base of companies that are using our database platform to build applications that capitalizes on today's digital world successfully. The team at DataStax is truly passionate about what they do, building world-class teams that are making an impact for partners and customers.

Cons

When you are part of something disruptive, the ride is never easy. If you are willing to put in your best and work through the changes that are necessary to respond to changing market and customer needs, then you will not find this a con.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing, but don't lose sight that employees are one of your best assets!

"Great Technology, Great Engineering Culture, Smart Engineers"

Current Employee - Senior Support Engineer
    Current Employee - Senior Support Engineer

I have been working at DataStax full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

DataStax is a great place to work. From the engineering side of things they have:
    - Smart Engineers
    - Great technology in the growing big data space
    - Work from home or remotely
    - Open source friendly

Cons

There are 3 main offices, with engineering being spread across them and throughout the world. So you have to get used to doing communication through chat, and that all meetings are teleconferences of some kind. If you mind that, then this isn't the company for you.

"Having a great time at DataStax"

Current Employee - Sales in San Mateo, CA
    Current Employee - Sales in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at DataStax full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people are great, hard working, smart. Culture, work hard, play hard.

Cons

True start up environment. if you are not willing to work really hard, this place is not for you.

Advice to Management

keep asking employees questions, suggestions on how to make DataStax better

"Enjoying DataStax"

Current Employee - Employee in San Mateo, CA
    Current Employee - Employee in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at DataStax full-time (More than a year)

Pros

• Happy culture with ample opportunity to do your best work
    • Lots of growth; within 1.5 years from 50 employees to 200+
    • No customer niche, they range from startups to fortune 500's

Cons

• Processes are still being formed as we transition from startup to small sized company

"Love My Job!!!"

I have been working at DataStax full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Stability is key here. I have been with the company for many years and still believe its the best decision I made. I have worn many hats and learned a lot.

Cons

You have to love to work, the company is growing fast in turn it moving fast. Not sure that's a CON :-).

Advice to Management

Keep rocking, we have a strong team of leaders and continue to hire strong players. The Management team is doing a great job of keeping the culture and atmosphere happy. Work hard, play hard! :-)

"Great Opportunity!"

Current Employee - Finance
    Current Employee - Finance

I have been working at DataStax full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Very rich culture environment. And folks here don't just talk about it - they are about it! If you have the drive and the passion, you will succeed here! The company is going through exciting changes and if you truly understand the company's long-term goals, you appreciate the exciting challenges that come along with change. And you learn to run with the ball when it's passed to you, but you have a team who guides you and gives you a game plan to run with. It's a learning experience where you discover new things, even about yourself - your strengths and areas of opportunity for improvement. True start-up environment. If you're eager to learn and willing to work through the kinks of a start-up company, view challenges as learning opportunities, this is the place for you!

Cons

Not much to say here - awesome place to work!

7. "Customer Success Team"

Current Employee - CS Team in San Mateo, CA
    Current Employee - CS Team in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at DataStax full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great executive leadership. Transparent objectives, very smart people building incredible technology offerings, autonomy to do your job!

Cons

Its a start-up so things tend to move very quickly it can be a con at times but overall that is a positive for most professionals in the Technology field!

Advice to Management

Advice - and it is known is that we need to get the word out about our technology and the DataStax brand to create better awareness within the business conversation/decision process! it is a main objective for 2014!

"Software built the right way stands the test of time! You will want to be part of this movement!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at DataStax full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Demand for the product! Leader in the market! Secure Funding! Team passion for Growth!...and the management team wants you to succeed! If you have the next-gen technology passion, drive, and ability to work outside the box at times, then this is a solid fit.

Cons

If you aren't maniacally focused to bring your best everyday...then this is not the place for you. You absolutely need high energy, high performance drive for individual success and for the overall success of the company.

Advice to Management

Thank you for taking the time to bring in a stellar executive team, and knowing the areas we need to improve. The transparency is refreshing to see.

"The moment I walked through the door I knew DataStax was going to be an amazing experience!"

Current Employee - Lead Development Representative in Santa Clara, CA
    Current Employee - Lead Development Representative in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at DataStax full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

First,and foremost the people here all come from various industry backgrounds making it an awesome melting pot for creativity, innovation and open-mindedness. Second, would be the culture. Last, but not least would be the tremendous market potential and potential career growth within the company.

Cons

It is startup....so you need to act fast. You need to be able to figure most of it out on your own!

Advice to Management

I understand that the company is still in a startup mode, however a structured training plan would help new hires.

"Hot Silicon Valley Start-up!"

I have been working at DataStax full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fun time to be at the company if you are a start-up type. Everything is moving fast, processes are being created, and teams are being built. If you like being on the ground floor of what could be a really successful company, this is the place to be.

Cons

Well, it's a start-up and it's moving fast and it's crazy. If you don't like that, this probably isn't your type of company.

Advice to Management

Listen to all of your employees. Keep focus on culture. Keep hiring well.