DataStax Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

4.2
Billy Bosworth

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Ability to work from home is also a plus (in 12 reviews)

• The open source product can support amazing applications (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • Also, in my experience I've never witnessed the executive team, and especially the CEO, not interacting with the sales team (in 8 reviews)

• Open source Cassandra works just fine for many tech companies (in 7 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Huge Market Opportunity and Management that places company growth as priority"

Current Employee - Marketing
    Current Employee - Marketing

I have been working at DataStax full-time

Pros

If you are looking for career that offers you the opportunity to be part of a company that will completely disrupt the database market - this is it. We have a customer base of companies that are using our database platform to build applications that capitalizes on today's digital world successfully. The team at DataStax is truly passionate about what they do, building world-class teams that are making an impact for partners and customers.

Cons

When you are part of something disruptive, the ride is never easy. If you are willing to put in your best and work through the changes that are necessary to respond to changing market and customer needs, then you will not find this a con.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing, but don't lose sight that employees are one of your best assets!

2. "Zooom zoom zoom!"

I have been working at DataStax full-time

Pros

Wow does this crew have momentum and a product that was built for this crazy market. Focus on execution is strong and starting to spread throughout the org. There are key areas of collaboration that are industry leading and fun to be part of.

Cons

Momentum comes a the cost of long days and lots of sweat. You will work hard as part of a hard working team if you come along for the ride.

Advice to Management

It is time to build out your staff, the amount of work has grown exponentially while the number of people doing the work has not. Reward your key people for getting you this far.

3. "Excellent place to work, learn, be challenged, and expand your mind!"

Former Employee - Technical Support Engineer in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Technical Support Engineer in London, England (UK)

I worked at DataStax (More than 3 years)

Pros

My experience of Datastax is that it is a great company to work for. There is superb skill and talent right across the whole organisation.

As part of the Engineering team I provided technical support to customers right around the globe. Our teams are hard working but friendly with superb collaboration and a solid work ethic. My peers always ready to help out and you never feel like you're "left on your own". At the same time you have the scope to work under your own initiative with complete trust from your management team.

The Engineering team is one solid united team and in support there is a definite feel of camaraderie. One more than one occasion when an important situation arose we would see people from all different teams coming together "rolling up their sleeves" and working together to get the customer back on track.

There is also excellent training, covering a wide range of areas that not only apply directly to the products but also in surrounding and associated technologies which helps you expand your skill set. We would also often have instructional sessions from field teams which really helps to see how customers are deploying and using products. New major releases would also see peers including myself in support hosting knowledge sessions on new product features.

If you enjoy a technical challenge, like working directly with customers and want to be part of a great team Datastax would be a great choice.

Cons

More team members in US means you might end up on a late call now and then especially if collaborating with someone real time. However this would always be my own choice, not something the job required of me.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

4. "growing pains"

I have been working at DataStax full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great product. Fair compensation. Remote working

Cons

work-life balance is out of whack. No 401k match. Shift from startup mentality to pre-IPO candidate has changed culture dramatically - not always for the best.

"Smart, Dynamic, Growing Company"

I have been working at DataStax full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I happen to love working at a dynamic, smart and growing company like DataStax. We have a ton of work to do, but the leadership team is top-notch and has us all pointed in the right direction. Our field team, GTM team and engineering team are phenomenal - some of the smartest people I've ever worked with are here at DataStax. I also really like the flexibility of working from home a few days a week - I get a lot more done when I don't have to commute to the office. Culturally this is a great fit for me, and I love working with smart people so I'm here to stay.

Cons

This company isn't for everyone - if you don't have the DNA for a fast-moving company then don't work here. We work hard, and sometimes need to shift priorities due to new information or direction. Top-level strategies are set, but sometimes successful execution requires extra effort. Smart, high-energy, high-performing people do very well here; if you want something slower paced then work for a large tech company.

Advice to Management

Continue openly communicating across the company and maintain current strategy - it's working!

"A good company, could be great"

I have been working at DataStax full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The remote work experience for engineering and product really makes it. The company has been able to hire really great engineers from across the world, and the teams end up spending time actually writing software instead of commuting and then hanging around in an office and going on happy hours.

Cons

The executive team has gone between strategies, pivoted to this, evolved to that, and basically comes across as rudderless and adrift. There really is just no consistent product strategy. And it's a shame, because the engineering and field (and probably management too!) talent here is probably second to know other company of its size.

Advice to Management

Pick a strategy, preferably a good one. And then let people do it!

"A great place to work!"

Current Employee - Software Engineer
    Current Employee - Software Engineer

I have been working at DataStax full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Fully remote team, highly flexible.
    - Powerful technology with a solid business model.
    - Great culture.

Cons

- Growing company, experiencing normal pains.

"Ups and downs feel like they are behind us"

I have been working at DataStax full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Significant change is starting to have a positive impact. Sales team is starting to hit their stride and collaboration between teams (sales, engineering, services and support) is better than it has ever been in the past three years.

Cons

Still some bad apples to weed out, but making positive progress every month. Some of the product bumps are painful to deal with, but renewed engineering focus is beginning to bear fruit as well.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing. Stay focused on quality. Remember to keep learning from mistakes, don't let the successes that are beginning to build stop that.

"Love how cool they are with remote employees!"

I have been working at DataStax full-time (More than a year)

Pros

This company is probably the most distributed I've ever seen but they do it so well! Technology makes it easier and they invest in the right technology for the job. My entire team is spread across the US but I have never felt closer to a team as I do this one.

Cons

Teams working with other teams can be a bit of a struggle as we grow, but I think we are starting to figure that out.

"Remarkable evolution"

I have been working at DataStax full-time

Pros

Great collaborative culture, seriously amazing technology, growth opportunities and leadership who are now more fully engaged with the employees. The recent shift to building functionality for DataStax as a priority over open source is refreshing.

Cons

Meetings on top of meetings. Distributed sometimes means we can't just have a quick chat, 30 minutes gets scheduled for everything. If you are not online all the time, you miss important things in Slack.

Advice to Management

Get remote/distributed people together more.