DataStax Reviews | Glassdoor

DataStax Reviews

Updated September 20, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Ability to work from home is also a plus (in 12 reviews)

• The open source product can support amazing applications (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • Also, in my experience I've never witnessed the executive team, and especially the CEO, not interacting with the sales team (in 9 reviews)

• Open source Cassandra works just fine for many tech companies (in 8 reviews)

"Potential Lost"

I worked at DataStax full-time

Pros

The open source product can support amazing applications.

Cons

DataStax still struggles to put out add-ons that are mission critical and have sufficient quality to convince customers to buy.

Advice to Management

Make some changes to your product team to put out releases that have better quality and are done more frequently.

"Great product, poor management"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA

I worked at DataStax full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Free lunches and snacks, although the selection gets old fast.
    - Transparency through all-hands meetings.

Cons

- No 401k matching.
    - Sales is a revolving door.
    - Distributed working environment makes getting things done more difficult.
    - Younger employees very unprofessional, spending most of their time playing Xbox, ping pong, and gossiping. It's high school all over again.
    - Younger managers don’t make time for employees; not focused on employee growth, lack of communication/direction, lack of professionalism, emphasis on favoritism.
    - Employees pressured by HR to leave positive reviews.

Advice to Management

- Bring back Eat Club or mix up the catering.
    - Hire experienced managers; stop promoting immature managers who play favorites.
    - Start-up culture doesn’t need to be unprofessional and reward those who slack off.

"Great tech stack and an opportunity to be a part of something world changing"

I have been working at DataStax full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

If you are a software or database engineer who likes to be on the cutting edge and have a penchant for making data access to your applications extremely fast this is the place to be. I LOVE this job. The pay is good, culture is welcoming, and I am encouraged and empowered to take time to learn, something many companies forget. The culture is very open regardless of rank which is in stark contrast to the time I spent in defense where one would have to schedule special time just to get a moment to chat with a VP or something along those lines. Lastly, the work and field is exciting and game changing especially if you want to "see" the impact on everyday people's lives.

Cons

Datastax is still a startup. A very successful startup, but one nonetheless so if you are uncomfortable with the change that may come with it is something to keep in mind.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing and keep the open door policy, open communication, and welcoming culture at the forefront. As we grow, and we will, it will most likely become more difficult to keep communication lines open between the various business areas. I don't have the answers, but this is something I think we need to keep a constant watch on to ensure we are a whole, single unit acting on same message and direction. I have seen this fall apart at other companies who didn't keep track.

"I could see myself working here indefinitely"

Current Employee - Software Engineer
    Current Employee - Software Engineer

I have been working at DataStax full-time (More than a year)

Pros

* Disruptive database technology and product that is the platform for many massive scale cloud applications
    * World class engineering team yet everyone is humble and friendly
    * Transparent and approachable executive team all around
    * Great work life balance working remotely: The company does a great job treating remote employees as a priority and ensuring meetings, planning, collaborating are as good if not better despite being remote
    * Small efficient empowered teams with low to no politics for politics sake
    * Benefits and pay: I'm quite happy

Cons

As others have said, working remotely has great benefits for flexibility and quality of life but it can feel a little disconnected at times. During normal working hours things are great w.r.t. interacting with co-workers online, but there isn't the usual grabbing a beer after work, water cooler conversation, or group team activities. You'll need to make up for that in other ways(meetups, co-working spaces, coffee shops, etc).

Advice to Management

Can you make catered lunches magically appear in my home the way they are in the Santa Clara office? More seriously, nothing really. Also loving the transparency and direction of the company.

"Experience thus far.."

Current Employee - Solutions Engineer
    Current Employee - Solutions Engineer

I have been working at DataStax full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Excellent culture, great people, a fantastic place to work if you want to grow. I think the leadership is great, and although I am relatively new, I totally trust them (from my manager all the way up). I don't think I could possibly be any happier about the CEO.

I am writing this review because I almost didn't join because of reviews I read on glassdoor. Thankfully, I talked to someone I trust and consider to be very wise about my dilemma. They gave the best advice by asking me a simple question. If two people go to the same great school, start and finish at the same time, shared the same major, do you think they will come out of it with exactly the same experience? That was all I needed to hear. In all aspects of life, you get out what you put in.

The training is excellent. I have mostly worked for startups and have never experienced a company that takes its employees training so earnestly. Empowering and enabling the individuals that make up the company is very important here. They put their proverbial money where their mouth is. For starters, you spend the first 4-5 weeks in deep learning mode (bootcamp). The trainers (Enablement Team) are great and are people that have been deep in the trenches, out in the field, with a tremendous amount of experience. Everyone has been extremely helpful, and from very diverse backgrounds. I am glad I didn't let a few negative reviews deter me away from this amazing place.

Cons

This is more advice than a con but if you are looking for an easy, smooth sailing "job", with a fixed set of tasks/responsibilities, then I don't think you will have a good time here.

"My favorite place to work so far"

Current Employee - Technical Support Engineer
    Current Employee - Technical Support Engineer

I have been working at DataStax full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Engaged, accessible management
    Transparency at the top
    The BEST work-life balance I've seen in a support role
    Rewarding compensation level
    Emerging, interesting, big player technology
    Work from home
    Lots of fun personalities

Cons

Issues tend to have high visibility, can lend to high pressure scenarios
    Can be more stressful than other jobs at times
    Width and depth of technologies can be daunting

"Timing, Talent, Opportunity and Market Adoption prime for DataStax"

Current Employee - Enterprise Sales Manager
    Current Employee - Enterprise Sales Manager

I have been working at DataStax full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Maturing market and increased adoption of NoSQL has placed DataStax firmly at the top of the list for most enterprises considering alternatives to legacy RDBMS. Our platform, services, support and training seriously fast track client success moving to this new world. The product is extremely robust, customer satisfaction is at an all time high and through acquisitions and organic innovation; the value prop for partnering with DataStax continues to gain momentum. Working in the field, there is a very strong cross-functional team focus with support top/down. Sales Leadership very committed to helping the team exceed results and quota.

Cons

Like most young and evolving companies DataStax has gone through changes up and down the ranks over the past years. With a very distributed workforce executive's have not always been in tune with the team in the field. Recognizing this, the CEO along with his executive team put programs in place to increase feedback and transparency across the company which have been very effective

Advice to Management

Continue to innovate, price competitively and drive increased programs to achieve long term strategic success of our clients. Recognize the talent in place and continue to implement retention programs that reward committed employees. Charge ahead confidently with a customer 1st strategy.

"Great Company to work for. Remote opportunities, too"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Santa Clara, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at DataStax full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fully remote team.
    Skilled and friendly engineers, using modern technologies.
    Great processes and low bureaucracy.
    The company is so transparent in what they do, it is hard for me to think what else they could share to their employees.
    Would recommend to anyone without thinking it twice.

Cons

If on a remote position, you have to learn how to balance your work/life time yourself (you'll need to force yourself to step outside and get some sun, or you'll start feeling less energetic, etc).
    I think this is the only negative I can think of.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing. Great job at every level.

"Has ruined me for working in an office"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer

I have been working at DataStax full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Pretty much everyone in engineering works from home, from all over the world. If you have an internet connection you can work from there.
    Because everyone is remote, you never feel left out of "office life", everything happens in chat.
    There are tons of very smart people working here, this is the best software engineering team I have ever worked with.
    Working from home is great if it fits your personality. You can work on your schedule as long as you get your stuff done. Because there are people from all over the world, there are others online at most hours to "work" with.
    The company is a big supporter of open source software and we contribute a lot of work back to the projects we use.

Cons

Working from home has ruined me for ever getting a job that I have to go into an office for.
    We are still a pretty small company in the scheme of things, if you want to be able to "advance up the corporate hierarchy" this isn't the place for you.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work. We have a good thing going here, don't spoil it.

"Marketing Team is On a Massive Upward Trajectory"

Current Employee - Director in Santa Clara, CA
    Current Employee - Director in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at DataStax full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great culture, building the marketing team from within, with great leadership in place and alignment between marketing and sales at the highest levels.
    Awesome sense of momentum, and the belief that next year will be DataStax's best yet.
    Distributed work is part of the culture, highly flexible.
    Free lunch every day.

Cons

None, there is a lot of work to do, should be expecting to roll your sleeves up and contribute at every level possible. Still try and provide a positive work/life balance though.

Advice to Management

Keep the transparent communication happening, and keep empowering the leadership we have in place to keep the positive momentum going.