DataStax Reviews | Glassdoor

DataStax Reviews

Updated September 20, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Ability to work from home is also a plus (in 12 reviews)

• The open source product can support amazing applications (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • Also, in my experience I've never witnessed the executive team, and especially the CEO, not interacting with the sales team (in 9 reviews)

• Open source Cassandra works just fine for many tech companies (in 8 reviews)

"Great Company - Sky is the limit!"

Current Employee - Enterprise Sales Manager in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Enterprise Sales Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at DataStax full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Incredible technology, well developed, active community, established trusted name among customers, excellent on-boarding, pre-ipo

Cons

Most negatives that I can see are in the past. These seemed to be sales strategy challenges and turnover. This is done and they have a pro team in place that is excited to be here.

Advice to Management

Think big

"No more Silos: Culture of Teamwork and Hard Work in a New Direction"

Current Employee - Manager in Santa Clara, CA
    Current Employee - Manager in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at DataStax full-time (More than a year)

Pros

As a global late stage start-up, there is tremendous opportunity as we continue to expand. Current Leadership has done an exception job driving the company in a new direction. LOB's are integrating fully which feels like a collaborative culture. We have some of the smartest engineers with a product that falls into trans formative efforts leading to some of the most interesting use cases the world hasn't even seen. We are in a pivotal stage where if you join today, you will help shape the future of the company. I've been given, and have seen others be given the opportunity to do more and see so much opportunity for the future personally and for others. We are a culture that promotes within but we still need to bring on unstoppable talent as we expand. We need you if you are a "unicorn" employee; your voice will be heard by the CEO, Billy Bosworth! HQ is in Santa Clara, offices in NY, Europe, Japan, Australia....and the SF office feels like a true start-up! I'm all in!!!

Cons

As a disruptive solution in a massive market with many competitors, the potential is enormous, but very challenging. For Sales, you have to display unstoppable talents in order to succeed. The field guys that succeed display a technical skill-set and "Challenger" mentality. For Marketing, you must help re-shape the roadmap and you will probably do things you've never done. Not all will succeed if you do not display these qualities, I've seen some great people move on as a result. I rate the work/life balance lower for anyone that comes on board to keep in mind we have a lot of work to do.

Advice to Management

Maintain the executive leadership integration within all LOB's. A collaborative culture is needed for the company to learn from one another. Include engineering with sales and marketing to help determine the proper direction. Completely remove the "working in silos" mentality outright!

"Great Technology, Great Strategy"

I have been working at DataStax full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The next database technology is here, and its disrupting! Super smart and hard working people.

Cons

Its a startup disrupting the database market, so with that comes some challenges - changes in strategy, some employee burnout when people don't manage their balance well.

Advice to Management

Keep focused on our next wave of clients! Keep talking to employees - communication is key.

"Solid Win"

I have been working at DataStax full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Clear vision for success, great technology for today's mobile apps, empowered and open culture, freedom to move to new roles internally, competitive compensation and benefits, and ability to work from home.

Cons

Sale and marketing leadership have changed hands a number of times in the past, but the current in-charge team is doing very well.

Advice to Management

Continue to communicate vision, direction, and progress like you are.

"Positive Momentum"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at DataStax full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There are a lot of positive changes happening at the company as it builds momentum around a new strategy. There is a great sense of team and shared vision too. Great to be part of a company that is going to disrupt the market.

Cons

HQ is in Santa Clara. But there is an office in SF as well which is in a great location. Nothing much else on the negatives.

Advice to Management

Keep up the transparency and high level of internal communication, especially around the vision and strategy and direction of the company. It's inspiring.

"Enterprise Sales Manager"

Current Employee - Enterprise Sales Manager in Phoenix, GA
    Current Employee - Enterprise Sales Manager in Phoenix, GA

Pros

Awesome company with great leadership and vision. Great culture! Great people! Great employment opportunity! Awesome technology! If you don't have a Big Data Strategy, you need one.

Cons

There are none at this time.

Advice to Management

Keep up the drive and maintain the culture you have built! Great people = Great company

"Execution issues"

I worked at DataStax full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Interesting technology and use cases, vast majority of the company is remotely based

Cons

Continued senior leadership challenges; a lot of attrition of top performers; numbers not being achieved

Advice to Management

Changes needed on the senior team; move more aggressively to a commercial mindset

8. "AVP"

I have been working at DataStax full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Never been as excited or as challenged by the daily opportunity to be great. Great Team - Great Strategy - Great Culture

Cons

If you are not prepared to be challenged - this is not the place for you

"Turned the Corner. Full Speed Ahead"

Current Employee - Field Sales in Santa Clara, CA
    Current Employee - Field Sales in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at DataStax (More than a year)

Pros

Company: A powerful technology, some exciting recent announcements, and a fundamental shift in strategy has given this organization a much needed energy boost.

Field: After a shaky period of transition, the culture in the field has turned the corner. The sales motion feels healthy and the wins are exciting and notable. Leadership from the top-down expects perfection, so you best be buttoned up, however this approach seems to bring the best out of the best and wean out the rest. We've got a great team.

Market: Market interest is vibrant, if still adolescent.

Cons

Company: We lack the right leadership within certain groups which slows progress, makes tactical discussions tough and escalation paths rocky.

Field: Quotas are high. Attainable if you put everything you have into it and some deals swing your way, but it is difficult to blow it out unless you walk into a ripe account or territory.

Market: Density of competition and lack of consumer awareness of the different "flavors" of nosql makes this job tough.

Advice to Management

Stay focused on building out the front-line infantry.

10. "Interesting times"

I have been working at DataStax full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great open source tech
    Exciting market opportunity
    High profile name enterprise customers
    Great food
    Ability to work in an office or remote - semi distributed company means good engineers all over the world but able to also hire in Santa Clara

Cons

Hard business model to execute on; not easy to differentiate commercial product
    Culture of mistrust
    Lots of beaucracy to get anything done
    Slow moving product and engineering

Advice to Management

There is a great opp to overcome many of the cons with good decision making but also great risk if poor execution - v important year ahead; get the plans nailed and don't change them in 3 months. Do something to rebuild the culture.