DataStax Reviews | Glassdoor

DataStax Reviews

Updated April 21, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
Cons
  • Also, in my experience I've never witnessed the executive team, and especially the CEO, not interacting with the sales team (in 8 reviews)

• Open source Cassandra works just fine for many tech companies (in 7 reviews)

"Value Your Employees and Change Your Top-down Culture"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

I worked at DataStax (More than a year)

Pros

Free lunch that is delicious. Interesting technology. Nice new(ish) office. It was not a bad company to work for in the beginning and my peers were great too.

Cons

Some C-level executives make decisions based on their own whims rather than a concrete strategy or a pragmatic approach to understand the capabilities and limitations of their teams and budgets. They often don't understand what it takes to effectively and successfully accomplish department goals and refuse to listen to the experts on their team who are actually there to help the executive achieve success. They are micro-managers, yet they don't have the actual technical knowledge to do these projects themselves, which makes a micro-managing approach even less effective than it already is to begin with.

Some C-level executives have no vision, or at least are very bad at communicating what it is. When you ask for clarification on vision or strategy, some C-level executives get defensive and choose to berate employees about asking pragmatic questions rather than actually providing a clear answer. This is confusing because C-level executives at all companies are charged with being able to answer these questions. Insulting someone who is asking just shows how unprepared and amateurish you are.

Advice to Management

Value your employees more, and treat them like human beings. You act way too aloof for being executives of such a minor player in the tech industry. DataStax still needs to prove itself to the world, but some of you are acting like it already has. I think the executive team needs a reality check. Your competition is increasing and if you lose sight of the opportunity you have in the market and become complacent, markets can change rapidly in this industry and you / everyone at DataStax could really lose out.

That competition I'm referring to extends to the talent you've hired as well. There are many talented people at DataStax, but many of them are treated disrespectfully by executives and berated if they challenge ideas with their expertise. The best, most successful, and most innovative companies in tech listen to their employees and value what they say. They realize that innovation can come from anywhere, not just you and your C-level friends. As a result, you'll lose greatly talented people. You can't just give people free lunch and a fancy office and think that's enough to retain them while you treat them like petulant children any time they want to discuss a project in detail. You have to prove that you value them and that you want them to succeed and help them maximize their potential.

Change your top-down, military-style "do what I say and don't ask questions" culture and embrace a culture that's actually open and collaborative. If you don't, you will fail to retain and attract the type of talent you need to be on top.

"Amazing place to work, Super friendly environment!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA

Pros

DataStax is a great place to work. They really take care of employees, Lunch is provided for us everyday. Everyone is friendly and is willing to help you out. The Exec are down to earth, and they're easy to talk to.

Cons

Everything has been great so far, there hasn't been any cons I can think of.

Advice to Management

Management has been wonderful so far. So all I can say is to keep up the good work.

"Energetic and exciting times for hot company and product!"

Current Employee - Director in Santa Clara, CA
    Current Employee - Director in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at DataStax full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Globally oriented culture. Employees help each other to over achieve in meeting customer needs. Events are extremely well organized to motivate and provide a climate of excellence for the team. Employees encouraged to help solve problems and to be self directed.

Cons

Some may be put-off by the energy and high expectations to perform. Proven performers will enjoy the challenge and being surrounded by like minded individuals.

Advice to Management

Set achievable goals and continue to reward excellence.

"Work with the best engineers on the best product for the next big market."

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer In Test in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer In Test in Austin, TX

I have been working at DataStax full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I love working at DataStax because every day I work on a world changing technology with people who are brilliant, motivated and professional. The company lives up to its core values of being honest, open, and respectful. This fosters an environment where people are friendly and helpful, problems are resolved in a timely fashion, and management is responsive and transparent.

Cons

It's 2014 and we're experiencing growing pains. We've grown 5 fold in 2 years, more than half of that in the last year. We get good people who pick up the ball and run, but that still leaves some room for confusion.

For example, the company has paid lip service to putting a non-management track in for engineering, but haven't put it in place. I feel comfortable saying I trust this will be resolved in a reasonable amount of time.

The target is still shifting as the company orients itself in the market. This is a matter of self-discovery. We're still a start-up company. However, the size of the company is making this self-discovery a little uncomfortable at times.

Advice to Management

What's shared with the company internally about our focus is enlightening and helpful. We aren't where we want to be yet in terms of BHAG and company organization, but your continued efforts are moving us in that direction. More of the same.

"The best company I ever worked for"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Santa Clara, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at DataStax full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very smart engineers, visionary management, flexible work hours. Open-source friendly culture.
    Awesome technology, everyday is something new and interesting. I'm constantly learning new stuff. Ability to work from remote and no feeling that I'm left out of sth.

Cons

Things are moving very fast. Sometimes too many things to do at once. If you're not a fast-learner and don't want to work hard, this is not a place for you.

Advice to Management

Make sure we retain the awesome culture while growing into a big company.

"The sales org is a sh*tshow and boiler room."

Former Employee - Corporate Account Manager in Santa Clara, CA
    Former Employee - Corporate Account Manager in Santa Clara, CA

I worked at DataStax full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Datastax is supported by an awesome technology. The majority of the people at the company are pleasurable to work with. I truly feel the company will go pre-IPO by mid-2015 . . . So your equity will hold value, given you vested. The product management team and engineers are all rockstars. There is a true startup culture where everyone works hard. Cassandra has a strong community and it's growing. There is now free lunch every day.

Cons

The sales reps don't get much respect. The marketing is subpar, which impacts the sales team. You will be doing MUCH more out-bounding than following up on leads, nurturing accounts and trying to close deals. The sales org is becoming a boiler room environment where all calls are tracked. Quantity over quality doesn't work in a consultative sales environment. Not much upward mobility. The CEO, Billy, won't say "Hi" to you when you walk by him unless you initiate. The compensation plan is horrible. If you hit accelerators at a certain tier, your % decreases. I know, weird. There are a lot of false promises given. Don't believe the hype.

Advice to Management

(Rhetorical) Question of the day: Why did the talented people quit Datastax when it has such great promise?

"My husband doesn't ask me how my day was anymore... Cause he's jealous"

I have been working at DataStax full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Everyday is new and exiting. I look forward to actually being at work with everyone, what a concept! Even if I am having a bad day something or someone will change that frown upside down. If you want to love your job, check out DataStax.

Cons

There is so much to do in this fast pasted environment, I often times find it difficult to get everything done. But eventually it gets done.

Advice to Management

It is sometimes hard to make the difficult decision if a person, or persons, are not working out for the company or the culture. Difficult decisions should be made for the betterment of the company, and it's employees, in the long run. Bottom line, make the tough decisions now before it becomes too difficult.

"I am extremely enthusiastic about Datastax, my position and the company's future."

Current Employee - Global Manager in Santa Clara, CA
    Current Employee - Global Manager in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at DataStax full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The company emphasizes communication and respect for all employees regardless of their title. This is a common "statement" for companies, but at Datastax I have consistently felt the difference in attitude in my dealing with the top executives as well as with colleagues. The daily lunches where executives join the rest of the staff, provides daily opportunities to get to know executives and colleagues on a casual basis. The CEO can frequently be found in the lunch room in the late afternoon working on his laptop - another example of ensuring his availability to all employees. The work load is consistent... but the flexibility to juggle your work with personal commitments is outstanding. I feel like I have left Dorothy's Kansas - working in a drab B&W world, and have landed in a challenging, fun and Technicolor OZ....and so far I haven't seen any sign of flying monkeys or witches.

Cons

I have only been on board for 2 months... but I am thrilled to be at Datastax and currently do not have complaints... or concerns.

Advice to Management

Keep "walking the talk"

"Extremely excited to be part of something so AMAZING!"

I have been working at DataStax full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You don't mind coming to work here... everyone is just as hardworking and dedicated as the next no matter which team you're on. From the Execs all the way down - everyone's heart is in it 100%, to help DataStax succeed. By far the BEST company I have ever worked for. Our CEO not only encourages us to "mingle" during lunch hour - but he too table hops himself, getting to know us all individually on a more intimate level. The culture is what truly makes this place ROCK... yes the free lunches, and unlimited supply of drinks and snacks help - but the people are what makes it all come together and makes the magic happen!

Cons

Cons? Seriously? I haven't found one yet... highly doubt I ever will

Advice to Management

Keep it up! The monthly "Welcome to DataStax" meeting was a great idea! The way Billy shares his life with us and motivates us in that meeting was what honestly sealed the deal for me! His encouraging words and uplifting spirit make him so much more than just a CEO.

"Awesome Company With Huge Growth Potential And Leading Edge Technology"

Current Employee - Senior Technical Support Engineer in Santa Clara, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Technical Support Engineer in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at DataStax full-time (More than a year)

Pros

We are on the forefront of the next big thing in database. DataStax will change the world. Only smart people work at DataStax. The culture is fast paced without disrupting work-life balance. We have an amazing product and truly care about our customers. I mean truly. Not the BS you might hear from other companies.

Cons

Because we are growing rapidly it will be a challenge to maintain the same wonderful culture we currently enjoy.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work and make cultural fit priority one in new hires. And only hire smart people.