DataStax Reviews | Glassdoor

DataStax Reviews

Updated December 27, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Ability to work from home is also a plus (in 13 reviews)

• The recent shift to building functionality for DataStax as a priority over open source is refreshing (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • Also, in my experience I've never witnessed the executive team, and especially the CEO, not interacting with the sales team (in 9 reviews)

• The executive team has gone between strategies, pivoted to this, evolved to that, and basically comes across as rudderless and adrift (in 6 reviews)

1. "AVP"

I have been working at DataStax full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Never been as excited or as challenged by the daily opportunity to be great. Great Team - Great Strategy - Great Culture

Cons

If you are not prepared to be challenged - this is not the place for you

"Turned the Corner. Full Speed Ahead"

Current Employee - Field Sales in Santa Clara, CA
    Current Employee - Field Sales in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at DataStax (More than a year)

Pros

Company: A powerful technology, some exciting recent announcements, and a fundamental shift in strategy has given this organization a much needed energy boost.

Field: After a shaky period of transition, the culture in the field has turned the corner. The sales motion feels healthy and the wins are exciting and notable. Leadership from the top-down expects perfection, so you best be buttoned up, however this approach seems to bring the best out of the best and wean out the rest. We've got a great team.

Market: Market interest is vibrant, if still adolescent.

Cons

Company: We lack the right leadership within certain groups which slows progress, makes tactical discussions tough and escalation paths rocky.

Field: Quotas are high. Attainable if you put everything you have into it and some deals swing your way, but it is difficult to blow it out unless you walk into a ripe account or territory.

Market: Density of competition and lack of consumer awareness of the different "flavors" of nosql makes this job tough.

Advice to Management

Stay focused on building out the front-line infantry.

"Interesting times"

I have been working at DataStax full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great open source tech
    Exciting market opportunity
    High profile name enterprise customers
    Great food
    Ability to work in an office or remote - semi distributed company means good engineers all over the world but able to also hire in Santa Clara

Cons

Hard business model to execute on; not easy to differentiate commercial product
    Culture of mistrust
    Lots of beaucracy to get anything done
    Slow moving product and engineering

Advice to Management

There is a great opp to overcome many of the cons with good decision making but also great risk if poor execution - v important year ahead; get the plans nailed and don't change them in 3 months. Do something to rebuild the culture.

"Good company"

Current Employee - Enterprise Sales Manager in Santa Clara, CA
    Current Employee - Enterprise Sales Manager in Santa Clara, CA

Pros

Work from home, good mangers, strong leadership, definitive vision. Great product, good support. Fulfills a great need in the marketplace.

Cons

Growing company, experiencing normal pains. Nothing is ever perfect, this place has lots of great people, sometimes processes are not precisely defined with high growth.

Advice to Management

Billy is great. Surrounding himself with great, highly skilled people.

"Young, Youthful Dynamic Company"

Pros

FREE LUNCHES FOR ALL!!!!
    ...even if you are just a contractor. And I mean _good_ lunches. Not junk. Just.... don't over-indulge. Just don't.

EYE-PLEASING OFFICE ENVIRONMENT
    The inside of the office really does have a big effect on your work day experience. The Santa Clara office is newly renovated with a bright, well-lit interior with windows all along the office perimeter.

GOOD BALANCE OF EMPLOYEE AGES
    At some companies, it seems like everyone's fresh out of university. At others, everyone's a dinosaur. This firm is heavy with young people but not overly disproportionately so.

Cons

LOCATED IN THE THICK OF THE ROUTE 101 COMMUTE
    Can be a hairy commute from pretty much anywhere.

"Far exceeding expectations!"

Current Employee - Sales
    Current Employee - Sales

I have been working at DataStax full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I have been working at Datastax for about two months in a sales capacity and words do not describe the true pleasure this company is to be part of. The phrase "far exceeding expectations" is something that shouldn't be taken lightly. I have worked for companies claiming to be a "best company to work for" and they don't hold a candle to what DataStax represents. This company lives its values and it starts with Billy at the top and shared throughout each functional organization. Steve Rowland leads WW field operations and Ayal Steinberg leads the Americas and I couldn't be more excited to be part of their team. They not only represent the core values I choose to be part of, they foster a spirit of team work, collaboration, excellence and urgency that is fun to be a part of. I don't question that the timing is right to be working here! If you want to work for a disruptive, growing, innovative and game changing company you won't find better than DataStax!

Cons

Continue working on company branding and corporate and product messaging. Lots of old news that needs to be replaced with the great stories of success and future vision and execution that is currently fueling our growth.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work! Love the transparency and open communications.

"Back on track"

Pros

+this is the strongest product of any company I've worked for. The DSE database platform is used by massive companies like Uber and Netflix and Walmart
    +CEO is approachable and really understands where the market is headed

Cons

Turnover in Sales and Marketing hurt morale and growth rate in 2015, but it feels like we are back on track in 2016.

Advice to Management

spend more on marketing! the product is great but not enough customers and partners know about it.

"A transparent fast-paced company where hard work pays off"

Pros

Deciding to work at DataStax was the best career move I ever made. I learn something hard every day. Infrastructure and technology connects remote employees to other DataStaxers around the globe. Every call is a video call, so we can see each other and build relationships. Instant messaging provides 24/7 access to all employees, all teams, and chat groups/channels provide a transparent forum for communication. All development work is viewable by all team members... there is transparency, more transparency, and always everything transparent. Email is not the primary communication channel, instead we reach out synchronously and use chat, video calls, meetings. After more than 30 years in the software industry, I feel like I finally won the lottery with my job at DataStax. I am grateful for a supportive work environment, open communication, visibility, and accountability. I believe in the products, our stellar technology make this THE place to learn while I earn.

Cons

Be prepared to work hard and share your work, screen, and ideas. This is not a place for people who guard their secrets or want to complain without a plan to resolve challenges. There is no down time, ever. This might not be the right company for you if you expect to work in your own corner of the universe.

Advice to Management

Keep our compensation commensurate with the industry standard... we want to retain the excellent talent we have. Recognition is key.

"Great things take time..."

Pros

+high integrity leadership team that is accountable, respectful and strategic; backend process isn't perfect but evolving fast and surpasses a typical startup of this size
    +technology leadership in the database-for-the-cloud market with continued strong innovation--the press/analysts seem to agree, and make compelling arguments for why companies based on open source technology just take a little more time
    +top tier customer base with great opportunity for expansion as their cloud applications grow-- opportunity is ours for the taking as long as we continue to execute
    +my team is highly professional, caring and makes it a fun place to work; lunches a huge bonus
    +it feels more like a marathon than a sprint, which says to me that we're playing for the long game and that the market is still somewhat early; that said, a number of talented hires are quickly making a positive impact

Cons

-highly entrepreneurial culture at this stage of the company life cycle, which is not for everyone; be sure to ask the right questions in your interview to probe whether it is for you or not
    -go-to-market/key personnel changes always temporarily disrupt people/culture, but had to be made (and WERE made over the past year) to clear the way for a higher performing and profitable company--this is the hallmark of a good company, but is not easy

Advice to Management

Keep investing for growth.

"I like it"

Current Employee - Solution Architect in Santa Clara, CA
    Current Employee - Solution Architect in Santa Clara, CA

Pros

Exciting new technology, huge variety of different positions in tech (coding, testing) and also in the field. Pure tech jobs can be done remotely at home, so without the need to relocate.

The technology in DataStax Enterprise and related open source projects is just exciting. It tackles today's demand for distributed and highly/continuously available information systems (database and analytics) at just impressive scale.

Technically, you should be passionate about distributed systems and what it requires to make it work. A comparatively strong technical background is a must for any position at DataStax.

At DataStax, communication is very important and literally everybody is open for questions, proposals and discussions. However, DataStax expects a lot of engagement to make the product(s) better and help customers to get the best out of the product(s). TBC: it's not a 9-5 job.

TL;DR if you're a passionate tech guy, then a pure remote job is for you. If you love tech and are also passionate about working with customers, then a job in the field is for you.

Cons

Lots of travel for people in the field - make sure that your family is fine with. On the other hand, some field work is also done remotely - effectively it's a mix of travel and remote work.

Advice to Management

Management also learns every day and although I'm not that long at DS, there are many small improvements. So, keep on improving - every little bit counts and many small improvements are a big, ongoing improvement altogether.

One thing however: a field summit for the whole field team is nice. But not all field people are actually pure sales people - more position focused content would be appreciated.