DataStax Reviews | Glassdoor

DataStax Reviews

Updated September 20, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Ability to work from home is also a plus (in 12 reviews)

• The open source product can support amazing applications (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • Also, in my experience I've never witnessed the executive team, and especially the CEO, not interacting with the sales team (in 9 reviews)

• Open source Cassandra works just fine for many tech companies (in 8 reviews)

"Sales Executive"

Pros

Great technology, smart people, leading edge use cases.

Cons

Terrible culture, no boundries on time. Executive staff that doesn't engage well with the rest of the company.

Advice to Management

Take some cues from other companies with strong, positive cultures.

"Great technology - Open source is a challenge"

Former Employee - Sales in Santa Clara, CA
    Former Employee - Sales in Santa Clara, CA

I worked at DataStax (More than a year)

Pros

Dynamic growth market. Lots of interest from prospects. Great customer engagement and some solid use cases in developement.

Cons

Open source Cassandra works just fine for many tech companies. Building the value prop against the free version does not always work.

Advice to Management

Many good people have moved on with the recent disruptive changes. New sales exec leadership is creating a combative environment.

"Run Away"

I have been working at DataStax full-time

Pros

Great technology that does solve some key issues in today's market

Cons

sales culture horrible....the worst I have seen in my 20 years
    comp plan is terrible and feast or famine
    new sales leadership is ruining what was left of a decent culture

Advice to Management

stop trying to act like a big company

"Awful leadership"

Former Employee - AVP-Sales
    Former Employee - AVP-Sales

I worked at DataStax full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great solutions in a complex market

Cons

New sales leadership has completely killed the organization through re-orgs and price increases for short term benefits

Advice to Management

Make company wide changes in product, solutions, marketing and stop drinking the sales cool aid

"Harsh Sales/General Environment Driving Departures"

Former Employee - Enterprise Sales Manager
    Former Employee - Enterprise Sales Manager

I worked at DataStax full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Strong core technology leveraging Apache Cassandra. While it serves a somewhat niche set of use cases, it is a very strong technology when properly implemented. On the personnel side, DataStax has a few very sharp technical resources. If you happen to align with any of these, you will be well supported in the field.

Cons

I am a tenured sales exec in the software/technology arena and say that I've only seen this type of senior sales leadership (at exec level) in one company that I've been associated with. In both cases the individual was responsible for the loss of high-quality sales/other contributors to the company. While some of the changes driven by leadership were needed, the style and tone driven by this individual/team created a "new normal" that has driven very high-quality individuals across all organizations (including VP leadership and others) within the company to leave, with others preparing to leave. Given how revered and successful these people were, this is clearly not a case of natural attrition within a late-stage start-up. There is a facade with a nice smile, but very a abrasive, condescending and (beyond) high-pressure approach behind it. I've been a successful rep with F500 companies and was successful here, so this is not a "sour grapes" opinion. While tough comments, I hope someone finds some value with the insight. This is very unfortunate as there was a very, very strong core at this company and some very talented people remain in the interim. I honestly hope changes are made as I'd love to see DataStax become successful with an IPO (not currently in site) or acquisition.

In addition to the above, comp plans changed for Sales in CY2016, with the reps now having to sell close to 2X they had in previous years to make the same amount of money.

Advice to Management

Re-examine, if possible, the approach and tactics used with the Field Sales organization including Sales Mgmt. There are too many opportunities with good companies in this competitive market to use a "scorched earth" approach (CEO needs to engage with Field Sales beyond the 1-2 reps - this really matters and helps drive employee engagement which is lacking.

"DataStax is not for everyone"

I have been working at DataStax full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

DataStax has genuinely nice people who work here. I love my team and and its great to be surrounded by people who want DataStax to succeed. We all are working hard towards one goal.

Cons

With lots of employee changes as of late, DataStax is in a transition period. We are ramping up fast and furiously.

"It'll be interesting to see what happens"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA

I worked at DataStax full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-Exciting Technology
    -A lot of potential too make noise in a busy market
    -Competitive pay

Cons

- Too many changes on sales side- no sense of direction
    - Too many Managers
    - Product has not caught up w/ open source (Many failed engineering projects)
    -Engineering not held accountable as Sales has been. Sales is the only department that goes through re-org's.
    -CEO not personable, rarely says 'Hi' if you pass in halls
    - A lot of politics for a company that isn't very big.
    - Distributed company - everyone works different hours, no real in person collaboration.

Advice to Management

DataStax wasn't a fun place to work, make it exciting!

"Ready for Take-Off!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Stamford, CT
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Stamford, CT

I have been working at DataStax full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

In today's economy it is all about information. How fast you can access it, consume it and turn it into a competitive advantage. Companies that do not adapt, will go out of business (Blockbuster anyone!). DataStax is positioned to do extremely well in this new economy. Secondly, the team in place is top notch and has each others back. Everyone is focused on our customers success.
    I have been looking for that next big technology wave and No-SQL is it! DataStax is already emerging as the leader in the space (check the latest Gartner report).

Cons

Being a young, up and coming technology, going after the Oracle and IBM's of the world is not for the faint of heart. You have to be committed and focused. If you are, this is a great place to work.

Advice to Management

Great Sales Summit to kick off the year and get everyone pumped up. Stay focused! Our time is now!

"The Definition of Smoke and Mirrors"

Former Employee - Sales
    Former Employee - Sales

I worked at DataStax full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Very Innovative Open Source Technology
    - A Hot Space

That's honestly it

Cons

The title says it all. Something shiny and nice from a distance, novel idea, but when you get up close it's ratty, ugly and useless.

When I started, the vision was of common sense. Grow the business under realistic expectations of a luxury technology that is based off of open source and adds a security blanket to the enterprise implementation of the open source benefits.

But come October when the new captain came aboard, the ship veered north and hit the final of many icebergs.

- Expectations became the most unrealistic in my career, territories were horrendous
    - Goals were always lofty, but became astronomically unreachable
    - The "DNA" and "Smarts" to cut it weren't even considered because when money is dwindling, panic sets in, and it has and will continue.
    - It has become a boiler room again due to goals not even close to being hit, financing being flushed and the need to tighten things up to make the package look shiny again.
    - Culture is deplorable, expectations are unrealistic, and top leadership is laughable
    - All "Good" reviews are HR or current employee (required input), they all address the weaknesses as if they aren't and all touch on current issues as if they are non existent and peachy
    - If you want to put a roadblock up for your career, join the ship. If you want to avoid a boat load of stress, a mess of a culture and a direction though the floor, take a chance and likely fail, no matter what your "DNA" is.

Advice to Management

- Rethink everything because current go to market strategy and expectations will only last till the well runs dry then chaos will resume.

"Great culture and high EI people"

Current Employee - Facilities Coordinator in Santa Clara, CA
    Current Employee - Facilities Coordinator in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at DataStax full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The culture and the environment are the best I've had at any company that I worked for. The business is all about going about doing business the right way and finding solutions for companies so that they can take off!

Cons

I cant think of any really. The benefits are great and the company likes to take care of their employees who work hard