DataStax Reviews | Glassdoor

DataStax Reviews

Updated March 12, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
Cons
  • Also, in my experience I've never witnessed the executive team, and especially the CEO, not interacting with the sales team (in 8 reviews)

• Open source Cassandra works just fine for many tech companies (in 7 reviews)

"DataStax is not for everyone"

I have been working at DataStax full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

DataStax has genuinely nice people who work here. I love my team and and its great to be surrounded by people who want DataStax to succeed. We all are working hard towards one goal.

Cons

With lots of employee changes as of late, DataStax is in a transition period. We are ramping up fast and furiously.

"It'll be interesting to see what happens"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA

I worked at DataStax full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-Exciting Technology
    -A lot of potential too make noise in a busy market
    -Competitive pay

Cons

- Too many changes on sales side- no sense of direction
    - Too many Managers
    - Product has not caught up w/ open source (Many failed engineering projects)
    -Engineering not held accountable as Sales has been. Sales is the only department that goes through re-org's.
    -CEO not personable, rarely says 'Hi' if you pass in halls
    - A lot of politics for a company that isn't very big.
    - Distributed company - everyone works different hours, no real in person collaboration.

Advice to Management

DataStax wasn't a fun place to work, make it exciting!

"Ready for Take-Off!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Stamford, CT
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Stamford, CT

I have been working at DataStax full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

In today's economy it is all about information. How fast you can access it, consume it and turn it into a competitive advantage. Companies that do not adapt, will go out of business (Blockbuster anyone!). DataStax is positioned to do extremely well in this new economy. Secondly, the team in place is top notch and has each others back. Everyone is focused on our customers success.
    I have been looking for that next big technology wave and No-SQL is it! DataStax is already emerging as the leader in the space (check the latest Gartner report).

Cons

Being a young, up and coming technology, going after the Oracle and IBM's of the world is not for the faint of heart. You have to be committed and focused. If you are, this is a great place to work.

Advice to Management

Great Sales Summit to kick off the year and get everyone pumped up. Stay focused! Our time is now!

"The Definition of Smoke and Mirrors"

Former Employee - Sales
    Former Employee - Sales

I worked at DataStax full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Very Innovative Open Source Technology
    - A Hot Space

That's honestly it

Cons

The title says it all. Something shiny and nice from a distance, novel idea, but when you get up close it's ratty, ugly and useless.

When I started, the vision was of common sense. Grow the business under realistic expectations of a luxury technology that is based off of open source and adds a security blanket to the enterprise implementation of the open source benefits.

But come October when the new captain came aboard, the ship veered north and hit the final of many icebergs.

- Expectations became the most unrealistic in my career, territories were horrendous
    - Goals were always lofty, but became astronomically unreachable
    - The "DNA" and "Smarts" to cut it weren't even considered because when money is dwindling, panic sets in, and it has and will continue.
    - It has become a boiler room again due to goals not even close to being hit, financing being flushed and the need to tighten things up to make the package look shiny again.
    - Culture is deplorable, expectations are unrealistic, and top leadership is laughable
    - All "Good" reviews are HR or current employee (required input), they all address the weaknesses as if they aren't and all touch on current issues as if they are non existent and peachy
    - If you want to put a roadblock up for your career, join the ship. If you want to avoid a boat load of stress, a mess of a culture and a direction though the floor, take a chance and likely fail, no matter what your "DNA" is.

Advice to Management

- Rethink everything because current go to market strategy and expectations will only last till the well runs dry then chaos will resume.

"Great culture and high EI people"

Current Employee - Facilities Coordinator in Santa Clara, CA
    Current Employee - Facilities Coordinator in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at DataStax full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The culture and the environment are the best I've had at any company that I worked for. The business is all about going about doing business the right way and finding solutions for companies so that they can take off!

Cons

I cant think of any really. The benefits are great and the company likes to take care of their employees who work hard

""Assume the crash position""

Current Employee - Sales in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Sales in San Jose, CA

I have been working at DataStax full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Amazing, transformative technology. Rock star customer list. The most technically fabulous staff I've ever seen in my 12 year career. Huge market potential.

Cons

Executive leadership is STILL not aligned. Q4 success was a fluke, Q1 will be dismal and Q2 will be an absolute "crash and burn" quarter. You cannot just "forget" to execute on any outbound marketing efforts for 4 months straight and then wonder why your forecast sucks months later. Employees are not valued at all - it's not a "collaborative - let's work together to be successful" environment. It's very much a "this is the way things are and if you don't like it leave". The company managed to pull off a successful "sales summit" yet reality has already set in. Huge quotas, no marketing, toxic culture (if you don't like it here leave) mentality. Engineering couldn't hit a product deadline if their life depended upon it. ALL HYPE. You would be better served to work for a software company with an above average product - yet amazing culture than join this toxic dump.

Advice to Management

To the investors.. clean house at the top or prepare to lose.. big. Find a CEO who knows how to run an entire company - not just the dev organization. You are running out of time.

"Test Engineering Intern"

Pros

Full member of the testing team as an intern, went through tickets. Good mentoring program, full time employees happy with their jobs and helpful.

Cons

None, overall good internship experience.

"Used to have amazing potential, poor management has run company to the ground"

Former Employee - Account Executive in Santa Clara, CA
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Santa Clara, CA

I worked at DataStax full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great open source technology, healthy catered lunches, open source Community loves DataStax because they invest so much money for free events and free training

Cons

Not enough value from enterprise distribution of open source Cassandra. CULTURE IS TOXIC. Management goes directly against company values of "Accountability, Visibility, and Respect". No appreciation for sales (only team that is held accountable). Management, engineering and product teams are out of touch with the field. Go-to-market strategy keeps changing and mass layoffs are the norm. No stability. DataStax used to have amazing potential. Sad to see the company go on a downward trajectory with blatant disrespect for employees. Too many employees get away with doing the bare minimum.

Advice to Management

Absorb the honest feedback from these reviews. Treat employees well. Build a product people actually want to buy. Tell HR to stop writing fake reviews on Glassdoor to get people to join the team. The morale has been DEAD at DataStax for a LONG time. Check your egos and finally make positive decisions for the company. You are crushing the souls of all of your employees.

"Sales"

Pros

Great technology, other than that cannot come up with anything.

Cons

Total lack of Sales leadership vis-a-vis the reality of the NoSQL market and how it is evolving with respect to open source. Small territories and constant over management.

Advice to Management

Management says that they are a refreshing alternative to Oracle and SAP but a lot of Sales and Sales Management have come from these companies and bought along the culture of the these companies. Big disconnect.

"Challenging and important work, full remote"

Current Employee - Soft Eng In Test
    Current Employee - Soft Eng In Test

I have been working at DataStax full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

nice people, good engineering culture, take care of employee, challenging, scale, important work (many huge companies are using datastax software)

Cons

a bit more teamwork will make it perfect