KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

DataStax

Engaged Employer

DataStax

Add a Review

DataStax Employee Reviews about "new ceo"

Updated Oct 16, 2020

Found 13 of over 380 reviews

4.1
DataStax CEO Chet Kapoor
Chet Kapoor
Pros
  • "We are actively engaged with the open source software community(in 27 reviews)

• "Most of us work from home but we collaborate a lot better than when I used to work in offices for other companies(in 24 reviews)

• Cons
  • "You will compete against Cassandra open source(in 13 reviews)

• "New CEO is driving the company off a cliff(in 13 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

The latest conversations about Tech

Sales Engineer

223 Comments

Join the conversation on

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of DataStax and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?

Reviews about "new ceo"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

The Pros list is 4x the size of the Cons list. What else do you need to know?

May 1, 2020 - Senior Software Engineer
      Business Outlook

Pros

Almost all of engineering, and much of the rest of the company, is remote. We're all accustomed to doing business that way. Because of that: * Everyone is good about remote-first attitudes. * Everyone remembers to mute when they're on group calls. * Recordings of meetings are usually posted the same day for those who couldn't attend for time zone reasons or any other reason. * The tools we select are optimized for remote, distributed, concurrent use. * Our primary product is a distributed database, and our distributed mindset carries over naturally. * We have employees all around the world. We are multinational, multicultural, and multilingual (English first, but there are several language-specific Slack channels). Whoever you are, and whatever part of the day you want to be your working hours, you'll fit in. * The COVID-19 pandemic didn't take ANY of our jobs. Also: * Communication from management is frequent and honest. * Everyone on the staff is excellent. Not a dud in the bunch! * New CEO has all the right skills and experience and is extremely focused. * Pay is excellent -- Silicon Valley salaries without Silicon Valley cost of living (unless you happen to live there!). Benefits are almost as excellent: stock options, great health insurance (including vision and dental) with several options to choose from, unlimited time off, life insurance, wellness reimbursements, etc. * There are random perks, too. Every few months, we get an email from someone in upper management telling us to take our family out to lunch or dinner and submit it as a company expense. * I haven't been through it yet, but I'm told the annual review process is lightweight and appropriate -- neither of which are terms I would apply to any of the review processes I've been subjected to at other companies over the years. * On my specific team, the work-life balance is great and everyone has been very understanding when I need to do literally anything not work related. * There are active, transparent efforts to measure and improve diversity. (Despite being multi-everything, we are predominantly white and male, just like the rest of the tech world. But we're aware and working on it!) * We are actively engaged with the open source software community. Coming from two decades of working on closed-source software, this is really nice. * Choose your own tools. The company will send you a laptop (you pick: Mac, Windows, Linux) and grant you local admin privileges. Install whatever software you want and need to get your job done. If it's commercial software, sometimes they have licenses on hand, other times you expense the purchase of a license for yourself. Either way, it's easy.

Cons

* The new CEO spent his first few months with the company (which coincided almost exactly with my own) reorganizing teams, laying off large swaths of people, etc. Communication about this process could have been better, and that made it scary, especially as a new employee. But it's over now and it feels like the changes he made were good ones. It feels like we are moving faster and that the org structure is better aligned with the work we need to do. * We have a good 401k plan, but there's no employer match. (yet? they always say it's being considered.) * I'm told that the work-life balance on some teams is less ideal. If you're interviewing, do your homework on this one! * Remote work isn't for everyone. It's on you to figure out if you can handle it.

2 people found this review helpful
    2. 3.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

A lot of turbulence

Mar 23, 2020 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Good salaries and benefits, smart and enjoyable colleagues, strong core product

Cons

New CEO is a shoot-first-ask-questions-later kinda guy, who pays a lot of lip service to the right things like expanding the reach of Cassanda, but it doesn't translate into his actions when he lets go of the key players who could be making that happen. He communicates a lot, but most employees that I worked with feel like they have no idea what's going on since they get whipped around all the time and all they really hear is platitudes. That being said, he's good at making the tough decisions (every five minutes or so) and he's brought on a team that has a proven track record of structuring a company to sell. From that standpoint, I think he'll prove to be pretty effective.

16 people found this review helpful
    3. 1.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Toxic.

Oct 16, 2020 - Sales Representative in Santa Clara, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

- Cater lunch EVERYDAY along with good snacks. - Competitive Pay for SaaS - Billy made DataStax awesome until Chet took over.

Cons

Ever since the new CEO took over, he had 2 rounds of layoffs and bought in all of his people. He smiles and acts like he's cool with everyone but in the end, he will let you go if you're not on his side.

7 people found this review helpful
    4. 1.0
      Former Employee

Toxic Company

Sep 10, 2020 - Marketing in Santa Clara, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

All the pros went away when new CEO joined. DataStax used to be a collaborative environment.

Cons

Toxic environment. Verbally and emotionally abusive CEO that has given too much power to his very green chief of staff. Anyone who worked here before new CEO took over is being pushed out unless you become a yes person. If you disagree with him you will eliminated. Anyone who stand up to CEO and challenges him will be fired.

5. 1.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Total Poop Show

Apr 1, 2020 - Sales in Las Vegas, NV
      Business Outlook

Pros

There really is none anymore. So many great people axed by a CEO and board who is looking to sell this puppy as soon as they can.

Cons

New CEO has his marching orders to sell the company as fast as he can. Pedigree from Apigee days. He's a callous, heartless leader who in public when he has his latest rounds of RIFs says how hard it is to let go of people but in private has literally fired people in the most unprofessional manner. The culture is in the toilet now. People are leaving as quicky as they ca before they get fired. Unfortunate too because it is a great product, some incredible use cases but the glory days are behind it. If you get approached here run as fast as you can in the opposite direction.

17 people found this review helpful
    6. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years

I like where we're headed (now), tons of opportunities

Apr 28, 2020 - Senior Software Engineer
      Business Outlook

Pros

There are tons of opportunities to work on a bunch of different projects. Don't believe reviews that tell you otherwise. It's a startup, what you work on is only limited by your creativity and determination. Real opportunities to work on open-source and be involved in open-source communities. The pay and benefits are top notch. Work and life balance is good. Remote culture through and through. Lots of awesome new people coming onboard. Upper management is very transparent and willing to answer hard questions from literally anyone.

Cons

Some whiplash as we try new ideas. New CEO can be a bit harsh, but hearing the truth hurts. It just could be presented in a nicer way. Remote teams can create silos.

Continue reading
      Be the first to find this review helpful
    7. 1.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Sinking Ship

Apr 3, 2020 - Data Architect in Chicago, IL
      Business Outlook

Pros

Good technology, poor execution, and arrogant leadership

Cons

I've been in some dysfunctional places in my 35 years in IT but this one is at the top of the leaderboard. The new CEO is clearly out to bring in his cronies, throw everyone else on the scrap heap, sell the company for whatever he can get, get rich, and move on to the next one. The culture of this place was a collaborative and possibly inefficient environment, but bringing in this new crew has destroyed people. Run from this sinking ship! If I could give this place a negative star I would.

22 people found this review helpful
    8. 1.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Leadership and Market Challenges Ahead

Mar 2, 2020 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

A distributed work environment allows for flexibility (also has its cons). Pay is above market, but almost a necessity given the challenges (see below).

Cons

There are many challenges and please take a look at all reviews and do your homework. Most recent reviews are from the "new team" and prompted internally. Based on the missteps of the previous leadership team change needed to happen. Layoffs flat out stink and are no fun, but there are times they are necessary. With that said, if you want to keep the talent you have you need to be honest and genuine and acknowledge the current challenges and assure the remaining team they are here to help turn the ship around. The new CEO has successfully changed the culture in 3 months. Unfortunately, it has not been positive and he has created a toxic culture. Talking about how much things have "sucked" in the past and talking down to people (publicly) is not a great way to rebuild culture and energy in a company. Management through fear does not work and will backfire tremendously at DataStax. Yes, execution has not been great but you also have to look at the market and product. There has been little innovation in the past few years and it's no wonder customers are moving to OSS and self-support. DataStax has been a crutch and support model for most customers who are not leveraging any "sticky features". These customers have become more educated and self sufficienct and there is not as much value in DSE as a product to them beyond a support model that can now be purchased at a much lower cost. The company is late to market with cloud, has not provided much product innovation and there is more competition than there was 3 years ago. Combine that with a new CEO who talks down to people and is not open to feedback you don't have a recipe for success.

17 people found this review helpful
    9. 1.0
      Former Employee, more than 5 years

Once great company being stripped out for a fire sale

Feb 25, 2020 - Solutions Architect in Santa Clara, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Can't think of any, there used to be a lot of positive points but that has all gone now. Very sad outcome.

Cons

Everyone who was any good is gone or getting out fast, new CEO is desperately stripping the company to it's bare bones in an attempt to show a profit and then dump it on the market. Upper management is sliding in their own people and letting go others in an ever diminishing game of musical chairs.

10. 2.0
      Former Employee

Once-innovative - now struggling to stay alive

Nov 4, 2019 - Sales
      Business Outlook

Pros

Pays well Free lunches Remote work friendly Decent benefits and they invest in training

Cons

If the recent 10% company-wide layoffs weren't enough of a clue, DatStax is struggling to move into its next chapter. New execs in marketing are struggling to find ways to set DataStax apart from Apache Casssandra, and more and more companies are realizing they are just fine using the open source version. Add to that an extremely toxic, fear-based corporate culture and you have the recipe for yet another start-up that will likely bite the dust, new CEO and all.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 13 Reviews