KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

DataStax

Engaged Employer

DataStax

Add a Review

DataStax Employee Reviews about "open source"

Updated Jan 14, 2021

Found 37 of over 380 reviews

4.1
DataStax CEO Chet Kapoor
Chet Kapoor
Pros
  • "We are actively engaged with the open source software community(in 27 reviews)

• "Most of us work from home but we collaborate a lot better than when I used to work in offices for other companies(in 24 reviews)

• Cons
  • "You will compete against Cassandra open source(in 13 reviews)

• "New CEO is driving the company off a cliff(in 13 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

The latest conversations about Tech

Sales Engineer

229 Comments

Join the conversation on

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of DataStax and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?

Reviews about "open source"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 5.0
      Current Employee

Great C-Level Leadership & Team Play

Dec 17, 2020 - Data Architect in Melbourne, FL
      Business Outlook

Pros

Amazing energy from new CEO is felt top down through all internal channels. A great product portfolio with a futureproof data platform. Open Source advocates working to make open source great again.

Cons

Small company, startup, rapid expansion (good & bad)

2. 1.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

Cancel Culture and Cluster of arrogance

Jan 14, 2021 - Enterprise Sales in Augusta, GA
      Business Outlook

Pros

The product Apache Cassandra is solid, but you get the same from the Free Open Source version with a community of users .. Why pay the extra? They can not even provide a financial justification.

Cons

Arrogant Cancel Culture and too much bureaucracy. They believe they are holier than thou, and the CEOs LECTURES are obnoxious. They treat their customers like crap and want the Sales teams to make everything right.. I should've listened to the others that preceded me. they think they are going Public.. but this place is a train wreck.

8 people found this review helpful
    3. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

A new era

May 8, 2020 - Marketing in Santa Clara, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

The company's updated strategy and renewed commitment to open source are a welcome change. It feels like a small startup again, with less process and hierarchy. Exciting times with new product launches and more to come.

Cons

Change is hard and some talented people have moved on. But there's a lot of great talent coming on board as well.

4. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

The Pros list is 4x the size of the Cons list. What else do you need to know?

May 1, 2020 - Senior Software Engineer
      Business Outlook

Pros

Almost all of engineering, and much of the rest of the company, is remote. We're all accustomed to doing business that way. Because of that: * Everyone is good about remote-first attitudes. * Everyone remembers to mute when they're on group calls. * Recordings of meetings are usually posted the same day for those who couldn't attend for time zone reasons or any other reason. * The tools we select are optimized for remote, distributed, concurrent use. * Our primary product is a distributed database, and our distributed mindset carries over naturally. * We have employees all around the world. We are multinational, multicultural, and multilingual (English first, but there are several language-specific Slack channels). Whoever you are, and whatever part of the day you want to be your working hours, you'll fit in. * The COVID-19 pandemic didn't take ANY of our jobs. Also: * Communication from management is frequent and honest. * Everyone on the staff is excellent. Not a dud in the bunch! * New CEO has all the right skills and experience and is extremely focused. * Pay is excellent -- Silicon Valley salaries without Silicon Valley cost of living (unless you happen to live there!). Benefits are almost as excellent: stock options, great health insurance (including vision and dental) with several options to choose from, unlimited time off, life insurance, wellness reimbursements, etc. * There are random perks, too. Every few months, we get an email from someone in upper management telling us to take our family out to lunch or dinner and submit it as a company expense. * I haven't been through it yet, but I'm told the annual review process is lightweight and appropriate -- neither of which are terms I would apply to any of the review processes I've been subjected to at other companies over the years. * On my specific team, the work-life balance is great and everyone has been very understanding when I need to do literally anything not work related. * There are active, transparent efforts to measure and improve diversity. (Despite being multi-everything, we are predominantly white and male, just like the rest of the tech world. But we're aware and working on it!) * We are actively engaged with the open source software community. Coming from two decades of working on closed-source software, this is really nice. * Choose your own tools. The company will send you a laptop (you pick: Mac, Windows, Linux) and grant you local admin privileges. Install whatever software you want and need to get your job done. If it's commercial software, sometimes they have licenses on hand, other times you expense the purchase of a license for yourself. Either way, it's easy.

Cons

* The new CEO spent his first few months with the company (which coincided almost exactly with my own) reorganizing teams, laying off large swaths of people, etc. Communication about this process could have been better, and that made it scary, especially as a new employee. But it's over now and it feels like the changes he made were good ones. It feels like we are moving faster and that the org structure is better aligned with the work we need to do. * We have a good 401k plan, but there's no employer match. (yet? they always say it's being considered.) * I'm told that the work-life balance on some teams is less ideal. If you're interviewing, do your homework on this one! * Remote work isn't for everyone. It's on you to figure out if you can handle it.

2 people found this review helpful
    5. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years

I like where we're headed (now), tons of opportunities

Apr 28, 2020 - Senior Software Engineer
      Business Outlook

Pros

There are tons of opportunities to work on a bunch of different projects. Don't believe reviews that tell you otherwise. It's a startup, what you work on is only limited by your creativity and determination. Real opportunities to work on open-source and be involved in open-source communities. The pay and benefits are top notch. Work and life balance is good. Remote culture through and through. Lots of awesome new people coming onboard. Upper management is very transparent and willing to answer hard questions from literally anyone.

Cons

Some whiplash as we try new ideas. New CEO can be a bit harsh, but hearing the truth hurts. It just could be presented in a nicer way. Remote teams can create silos.

6. 1.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

No vision, Rough treatment for employees

Apr 30, 2020 - Data Architect
      Business Outlook

Pros

Good open-source product support. Don't have many pros

Cons

CEO is using rough language, no respect for the hard-working employee

18 people found this review helpful
    7. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Crystal clear mission

Apr 1, 2020 - Vice President in Seattle, WA
      Business Outlook

Pros

The new leadership knows as much as anybody in the world about best practices for making open source software thrive, and building a business based on thriving open source software. If you love what open source makes possible, it's a crystal clear and exciting new mission: we're going to grow by helping Apache Cassandra thrive.

Cons

Being a distributed company has its upsides, but you must take the reins on how you find the right ways, for you, to stay in tune with your colleagues, manage across time zones, etc.

1 person found this review helpful
    8. 1.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Great product, terrible management

Mar 2, 2020 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great product based on open source Cassandra. Competitive salary and decent benefits.

Cons

The strategy makes sense, but how it's been executed is extremely concerning. The new executive team has destroyed a great corporate culture in months. Exceptional people have been let go for minor transgressions, sometimes simply for just having a different perspective to the CEO. And every week more people are laid off, resulting in a lot of uncertainty and fear, even among long-term employees. The CEO claims that D&I is important, yet the entire executive team now consists of middle-aged men and a large % of the people have been let go are caucasian women.

20 people found this review helpful
    9. 1.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

Under tremendous pressure, but unclear about direction or how to right the ship

Dec 17, 2019 - Customer Service Representative in Santa Clara, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Fantastic people, and support for a remote/distributed workforce culture. Sparks of brilliance among the main employee base, but lack of executive support or effective leadership leads to a minimizing of that brilliance. Interesting and effective product when tied to the right use cases and business needs.

Cons

Complete chaos and churn at the executive layer. Turnover of at least 70% of executive team in the last 6 months. New CEO is a cutthroat and bringing in his own people to replace the executive staff. Middle management is in a constant state of "CYA" while not being given the opportunity to actually fix what is broken. Sales organization is incapable of hitting goals due to an unhealthy focus on camping out at existing customers vs finding new prospects. Marketing organization is almost invisible as they struggle to come up with new language to describe a technology that is competing with a market full of better tools and an open source community that they turned their backs on too often. Lack of vision and focus leads to a scatter-brained approach to how to capture the market effectively. No employee loyalty or feedback channels are taken seriously. Suspicious and untrusting staff is a result of the 'game of thrones' -esque all-hands meetings that happen each week (Who's getting axed this week?)

12 people found this review helpful
    10. 2.0
      Former Employee

Once-innovative - now struggling to stay alive

Nov 4, 2019 - Sales
      Business Outlook

Pros

Pays well Free lunches Remote work friendly Decent benefits and they invest in training

Cons

If the recent 10% company-wide layoffs weren't enough of a clue, DatStax is struggling to move into its next chapter. New execs in marketing are struggling to find ways to set DataStax apart from Apache Casssandra, and more and more companies are realizing they are just fine using the open source version. Add to that an extremely toxic, fear-based corporate culture and you have the recipe for yet another start-up that will likely bite the dust, new CEO and all.

15 people found this review helpful