Datascope Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Excellent company"

Former Employee - Chief Janitor
    Former Employee - Chief Janitor

Pros

great company and seniour managemnet

Cons

none whatsoever that needs to be discussed

2. "A very good company for beginers"

Current Employee - Software Engineer Co-Op in Mahwah, NJ
    Current Employee - Software Engineer Co-Op in Mahwah, NJ

Pros

As a co-op, I was given responsibility of implementation of a major section of the system. I was given due guidance at times of difficulty.

Cons

At times have to wait for some or the other dependency which slows your performance.

Advice to Management

Need much more detailed documents for smoother & faster completion of project.

3. "COntractor Turnover"

Former Employee - Design Engineer (Contract) in Mahwah, NJ
    Former Employee - Design Engineer (Contract) in Mahwah, NJ

I worked at Datascope full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good Prep for Engineers by Managers

Cons

High Turnover. Seem to bring on contractors for work that could be done by staff with better planning

Advice to Management

Develop Staff

4. "Sales Manager"

Pros

People are great to work with

Cons

It's a small company. Management can be overbearing.

5. "Review"

Current Employee - Clinical Support
    Current Employee - Clinical Support

Pros

Smaller company, work independently, fair salaries.

Cons

Management works without input from field.

Advice to Management

Field workers are very experienced and strong company advocates. Unfortunately, management is not interested in these valuable resources.

6. "Watch your back, many people have knives!"

Former Employee - Firmware Engineer in Mahwah, NJ
    Former Employee - Firmware Engineer in Mahwah, NJ

Pros

The pay was good. The food was good in the cafeteria. Lots of free coffee. Many nice people. I got a small office with a door to myself. Very little management interference with my work.

Cons

Poor management. Many bad project decisions. Bad communication. It's all going to China... The company was bought out by Mindray. Technically incompetent management.

Advice to Management

Hire competent technical staff, encourage them to speak, then listen to what the say.

7. "Why departments fail"

Former Employee - Developer in Mahwah, NJ
    Former Employee - Developer in Mahwah, NJ

I worked at Datascope full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good place if you just want to collect a paycheck, especially under EOE.

Cons

Their office in Mahwah was something out of a Nazi era setup, where the senior people did very little while consultants did most of the work. Coincidentally, the senior people are mostly German, the consultants were white, and the non-senior staff were minorities (Indian, Spanish, West African, Carribean, etc). The cast of characters include the following:

1. A Principal engineer who routinely proclaimed "I'm 200 pounds and 6 foot 4" in order to win debates about how things should be done, both on the phone and in person. Also he shoved his face into the faces of other people whenever he was proven wrong, with reprisals such as "you forgot to turn your monitor off, so now you're going to pay". The same bully organized a meeting of the entire department to dictate that people should watch their desk phones for use by unauthorized people, in an open office setup that was accessible to anyone (i.e. no doors, no walls), which was impossible for anyone to prevent someone else from using your desk phone 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. A total witch hunt weirdo.

2. A Phd who was so cranky that other employees avoided speaking to him every morning, who would track schedules and give people grief about deadlines that couldn't be met. Apparently the source of his misery is his wife, who he regularly complained about kicking him whenever he was down and whenever he wasn't down. However, his face would light up and drool would begin to appear anytime he would talk to his busty subordinate, who apparently would play this card to her advantage. An oversexed overeducated over moralistic miserable snob, no wonder his wife treats him badly.

3. A manager who rarely left his office to get involved with his employees, relying on hearsay to run his department. When he was not patting himself on the back for accomplishments at previous companies, he was using second hand information to chastise employees, because he would stay in his white tower office all day. When I complained to him that the principal engineer mentioned in item #1 was being verbally and physically threatening, he passively replied that he had told said bully that his behavior was "not constructive" as if this aberrant behavior was no big deal.

4. Minorities who apparently were hired to fill an EOE requirement, because they did very little work, spending most of their time sitting at their desk eating, chatting on the phone, playing games, and spacing out.

5. A recently promoted programmer from West Africa, who moonlights on the graveyard shift performing x-rays for a local hospital, resulting in him coming in late and exhausted everyday (1130am or later), while I was being chastised for coming in at 930am. His "promotion" disturbed me because he had told me that simple code I written to round a number up to the next power of two (that any 12 year old could have written) meant that I really knew my stuff, and that he was unable to understand the code LOL.

6. A fellow from the Carribean who spent the afternoons sleeping at his desk, and rather than sleeping quietly, he snored loudly within ten feet of where I sat. After the president of the company accidentally received an email I wrote complaining about the situation, the manager of the department was forced to leave his office to occasionally stop by to see if the sleeper was awake or not. Although this sounds very much by the book, it was exceptional for the manager to ever leave his office for any reason other than for food or using the bathroom. Furthermore, the sleeping employee's work output (or lack thereof) was never tracked, which allowed him to sleep every afternoon in the first place.

7. The only three employees who are worth anything were regularly overlooked, ignored and / or mistreated, to the point where one of them complained to HR that the cranky Phd was insensitive to say the least, which resulted in the cranky Phd being sent for sensitivity training LOL, which is like putting a band aid on a gunshot wound. The other two good employees were ignored & overlooked, especially when they tried to ask for requirements or point out that things were being done incorrectly.

Considering all of this, no surprise that a one year project in this department has taken over five years and is still not completed. But the flip side is that it was easy for the dysfunctional people above to blame me for the problems with their work and their schedule, making me an easy scapegoat for their own shortcomings. One of the three good employees actually stated that for the work to get done, I would need to come back; while that is a compliment to me, it makes a statement about the losers there who can't even complete a project.

Advice to Management

Do something other than sit in an office eating candy.

8. "In response to the review titled "Why departments fail”"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mahwah, NJ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mahwah, NJ

Pros

As you have already guessed this review should not be taken seriously. There is enough half truths sprinkled in this narrative to be entertaining, but overall its a drama (fiction) based on the very narrow point of view of one employee with more ego and imagination than grasp on reality. Even if you were to take everything as 100% truth, the review is so narrow that it won't help nor apply to 99.99% of the people reading it. To the author of that review, if you are reading this, please consider submitting your work to hollywood! It is the funniest thing I've seen since the movie "Office Space."

So on to my review. The small department in Mahwah, NJ is full of very smart and skilled engineers. Their product is pretty much a monopoly in the market because the competition cannot come close in terms of quality and effectiveness. During my tenure there, I learned an incredible amount from pretty much everyone. I can pretty safely say that this department had very little fat if any when it came to full time employees. On the other hand there seemed to be a good amount of fat in the form of contractors (like Mr. Office Space), and they were ultimately, but not very efficiently, let go. For me, the biggest con is that the pay is way below the market and in my experience continues to lose ground over the years. My advice to prospective hires is to negotiate upfront the salary you would be happy with for the next 10 years.

So far my review is about the small office in Mahwah, NJ. But if we take a look at the macro picture, the rest of the company does not look very good. Understand that this place was a small company that has been bought out by a large German company in order to be milked for every penny possible. The company at large is very much in disarray. I could cite many examples, but I will be kind and just summarize it by saying that the upper management lacks vision. The Mahwah, NJ office is directly affected by this in several ways. Therefore, I cannot recommend any part of this company to anyone. IMO, it is a sinking ship and the captains are steering it towards the bottom of the ocean. The crew is doing an amazing job to keep it afloat, but I don't think they can overcome the odds. I hope I am proven wrong.

P.S. The cafeteria food is amazing. Thanks Dale!

Cons

pay, money, salary, compensation, $$$

Advice to Management

Don't get comfortable.

9. "In response to the review of the review titled "Why departments fail”"

Current Employee - Developer in Mahwah, NJ
    Current Employee - Developer in Mahwah, NJ

I have been working at Datascope full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

As long as the reviewer of the review keeps calling everything "half truths", everything is great, right? Odd that the reviewer doesn't care to give credence to which "half" is true, since that would be admitting that the original review contained some accurate information. Perhaps this is the same jerk who finds it necessary to physically threaten people who disagree with him.

Cons

Apparently the reviewer is more concerned about the quality of the food in the cafeteria than the insanity taking place in the workplace - instead of addressing that, food is being commended LOL. Other people working there have repeatedly complained to me that conversations aren't even allowed. But hey, I guess that's another "half-truth", right? After all, you're talking, so it can't be a full truth! Consider yourself part of the problem when you're not willing to address the actual complaints, nor admit what's going on, nor do something to fix the problems reported, which are nothing less than despicable.

Advice to Management

Fire this malignant tumor of a human being, or send him to "sensitivity training", like the last employee who was a legend in his own mind.