Daugherty Business Solutions Reviews | Glassdoor

1.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Daugherty Business Solutions President and CEO Ron Daugherty
Ron Daugherty

Pros
  • They care about the employee and have better work life balance with their local model than other consulting companies (in 21 reviews)

• No travel required with this company (in 20 reviews)

Cons
  • Self-described as a consultancy, but mostly staff-aug (in 26 reviews)

• but thats part of work life balance (in 11 reviews)

"Software Engineer 1"

Former Employee - Software Engineer I in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Software Engineer I in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Daugherty Business Solutions full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Beneftis are decent, pay is just about market average

Cons

Incredibly confusing managment structure. No communication from leads/managment staff. A LOT of after hours work. Wouldnt recommend.

Advice to Management

Hope this trend changes for newer employees

Oct 31, 2016 – Marketing Specialist

Thank you for your feedback! We're always looking for ways to improve and appreciate your feedback. We'll make sure this is seen by leadership.

"Chicago Consultant"

Former Employee - Manager in Oak Brook, IL
    Former Employee - Manager in Oak Brook, IL

I worked at Daugherty Business Solutions full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Compensation is impressive - they have a nice office for you to go to while you're on the bench.

They have a parking garage so you won't have to dust the snow off of your car when leaving at night.

That's about it.

Cons

Sometimes a hypothetical can come in handy.

Let's say you are a seasoned professional blacksmith.

Daugherty Chicago recruits you to be a blacksmith for Daugherty and offers you an attractive salary and great benefits.

Delighted at the prospects you begin your tenure with optimism and enthusiasm.

That enthusiasm begins to ebb after sitting on the bench for a much longer than anticipated timeframe.

You begin to wonder "why was I hired?"

Then one day - voila - they have a "brief" client need that you can fill.

Unfortunately it is not a blacksmith role. But, hey,
    "get out of your comfort zone" - "it's not in your wheelhouse but we all love a challenge".

You ask "Since I'm not getting an opportunity to show you my blacksmith skills, what will I be doing?"

You are told "you will be a triage nurse".

You say "but I'm not a triage nurse, I'm a blacksmith, a highly experienced blacksmith, that's why you made me an offer that made me leave my previous employer".

They say "don't worry, you'll do fine".

Then you get to your assignment to find that you are the ONLY triage nurse with a room full of emergency patients.

You do your best, but again, you are a blacksmith, not a triage nurse.

The client asks for a replacement triage nurse.

Daugherty Chicago treats you like a failure, and without an ounce of decorum, fires you - the seasoned blacksmith - for not succeeding as a triage nurse who's had no experience or training as a triage nurse.

And to top it all off? The separation process is downright nasty! The crassness of the separation process is enough to compel you to take the time to leave a review on Glassdoor.

It makes you wonder if the recruiters only get paid to recruit - regardless of opportunities.

Do yourself a tremendous favor, avoid Daugherty Chicago.

Advice to Management

I can't even think of any advice to offer Daugherty Chicago management. I wonder if there is a management staff at Daugherty Chicago to even heed the advice I would offer.

Jul 18, 2016 – Marketing Specialist

Thank you for your feedback. We're sorry that you've had such a negative experience with our company. Chicago is going through some growing pains and leadership bandwidth challenges, but we're making ... More

"Senior Manager"

Former Employee - Senior Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Senior Manager in Atlanta, GA

Pros

Great benefits. That's it. Atlanta is an absolute wreck. I worked here for 3 years to get off the road and in that time management has drastically turned over. it took me a while to figure out this out but they're a staffing company so if you're billing you're heads down and don't really know what's going on back at the ranch until you hit the bench. I hit it twice and the second time was let go along with 4 others

Cons

I don't have any actionable advice other than to stop selling yourself as a consulting company. This is a TOTAL body shop. The worst was we had our corporate party announcing what a solid year we had after laying off half our bench. reach out to any former employee before working there. Just pick one Anyone!!

Advice to Management

I don't know how much more time the husband/ wife owners have so why not just sell it and be done with the headache already???

Jun 29, 2016 – Marketing Specialist

We are sorry that you feel this way. Our Atlanta team is wonderful, and they are growing really fast under Monika Mueller's leadership. We're not just winning new client work, but we're adding new ... More

"Not a culture for a sales professional"

Former Employee - Account Executive in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Chicago, IL

Pros

Base pay is above average.

Cons

Strict oversight; stifling executive; antiquated perspectives on sales methods; excessive internal reviews; limited local sales support for various practices

Advice to Management

When you hire good people, you need to let them do their jobs.

Jun 29, 2016 – Marketing Specialist

Thank you for your feedback. We're sorry you had such a negative experience, but appreciate the opportunity to improve.

"Lack of Consulting Opportunities for 8 Months"

Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Daugherty Business Solutions full-time (More than a year)

Pros

* Very good medical benefits.
    * Thank goodness they approved my timesheets each week

Cons

* Lack of consulting opportunities at large corporate clients in the Twin Cities.
    * For the 20 months I was with the Minneapolis branch, I billed full-time for 6 months. And, had to do my own business development (i.e., network to find projects) at the client site in order to get up to billing 40 hours per week.
    * The Minneapolis branch was insistent that I not give "free consulting" at the corporate client. But, they didn't keep me billing full-time.

Advice to Management

Pursue MBA executive courses on strategic leadership from Carlson School of Management or the University of St. Thomas Opus College of Business.

May 17, 2016 – Managing Director

Thank you for your feedback. We are a growing branch in Minneapolis, so I understand your frustration. However, I¹m extremely proud of where we are as a company and where we¹re going. In the last few ... More

"Incompetent management. Hire and fire mentality"

Former Employee - Consultant in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Consultant in Chicago, IL

I worked at Daugherty Business Solutions full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Pay was good which was the bait they use to lure you into the job. They put you in no win situations and let you flounder.

Cons

They hired dozens of people end of 2014 with no work lined up then laid most off in May 2015. People had left stable good pay jobs to work there. Really crummy thing to do. They need to shut down Chicago office and concentrate on cities where they have some traction

Advice to Management

Close Chicago office

Mar 28, 2016 – Marketing Specialist

Thank you for your feedback. Chicago is undergoing leadership changes, and we're expanding our sales team to better support the team. Today, we're growing in our key accounts and the sales team is ... More

"Think before you jump"

Former Employee - Senior Manager in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Senior Manager in Chicago, IL

Pros

- Market rates
    - OK benefits
    - Thats all i can think of but i have to get to a twenty minimum wordcount

Cons

- Bonused based on tenure not performance or billable utilization. $23 for every month worked
    - No profit sharing or equity opportunities
    - No office autonomy with regards to closing deals, negotiating rates. St Louis has that 'braintrust' and i use that term loosely.
    - Paid bench is a farce. Benches are cleared with more frequency than an ill-tempered hockey match
    - Leadership focuses on the wrong sales activities and gets drawn into a rates race to the bottom on commodity skills. It really is a staff augmentation model and to say otherwise is decivieng the consultants and potential hires.
    - Reputation amongst informed Chicago workforce and potential clients is bad. Attracting the best consultants and the most interesting work is going to be a challenge.
    - Management style and culture is dictatorial and untrusting. Management doesn't lead but rather supervises.

Advice to Management

- Manage and compensate by results
    - Consider incentivizing business development amongst consultants leveraging some deep networks
    - Recruit ambition and talent not burnt out 'experienced' consultants that have done things the same way for 30 years. Especially in 'leadership' positions.
    - Foster a culture with transparency and openness.

Mar 17, 2016 – Marketing Specialist

Thank you for your feedback. I'm sorry you've had such a negative experience with us. Our Chicago office is going through leadership changes, we're hiring more people, and we're excited about the ... More

"Prepare to be BOXED IN"

Former Employee - Engagement Manager in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Engagement Manager in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Daugherty Business Solutions (More than 5 years)

Pros

individual contributors are usually really good people. health benefits are above industry standards. white males get treated the best

Cons

has no commitment to fielding a diverse work group. will ask you to spend lots of personal time on non-value add training and committees. early on will decide what you are good at and not let you move outside that "box"

Advice to Management

treat employees and customers with the utmost respect. as you treat them, so will go your reputation.

Feb 24, 2016 – Managing Director

I’m sorry that you have this impression of our company. While I respect your opinion and I’m sorry that you felt boxed in, my door is always open to all our Minneapolis consultants. If there are ... More

"Bad Strategy & Management"

Former Employee - Senior Manager in Oak Brook, IL
    Former Employee - Senior Manager in Oak Brook, IL

I worked at Daugherty Business Solutions full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There were some nice people and I was able to take training on their dime.

Cons

They are limited to only a couple clients in Chicago and they are all located in the suburbs. In my first week I knew I made the wrong decision and wished I could reverse course. The leadership team did not have a good strategy in place and the current situation was not sustainable, yet they continued to hire and pitch the 'vision'.

Recruiters aren't very good at finding the best people so I regularly saw consultants on the bench milking the cash cow. Many folks wouldn't come to the office much, or for only a few hours each day, fail to complete internal project work and generally took advantage of the situation.

Advice to Management

Perhaps the National strategy was good but the leadership team on the ground was not qualified to execute on it. I'd re-evaluate the strategy to fit the current market and hire the right people to lead the effort.

Mar 17, 2016 – Marketing Specialist

Thanks for sharing. I'm sorry we were not the right fit for you. Our Chicago office is going through leadership changes, we're hiring more people, and we're excited about the possibilities in front ... More

"You're just a product... remember that!"

Current Employee - Software Engineer II in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Software Engineer II in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Daugherty Business Solutions full-time (More than a year)

Pros

+ It's a pay check. Better than unemployment.
    + Better job security than most. If you get dumped off a contract, due to "personality conflict" with a psycho manager, at lease you aren't thrown out onto the street.

Cons

- Despite their corporate propaganda, you are just a product for them to sell to their clients. As such efforts to support you with your career are minimal to non-existent.
    - As a product, they will shove you into any corporate bung-hole they can find, so that you'll start earning your keep asap.
    - Once out of the head office, you are on your own. The line of service managers say they look out for you, but that's hard to do when you only say them... maybe once a month if you're lucky.
    - High chance of "going native", where you develop Stockholm syndrome with the client you're sent to. At which case the only connection you have with Daugherty, is their name on your pay check.

Advice to Management

Really... should I even waste the keystrokes writing stuff here. The only strokes Ron is interested in is how many he can shave of his golfing average.