Daugherty Business Solutions Reviews | Glassdoor

2.0
Daugherty Business Solutions President and CEO Ron Daugherty
Ron Daugherty

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • They care about the employee and have better work life balance with their local model than other consulting companies (in 21 reviews)

• No travel required with this company (in 20 reviews)

Cons
  • Self-described as a consultancy, but mostly staff-aug (in 26 reviews)

• but thats part of work life balance (in 11 reviews)

1. "Great Benefits for Staff Aug. work."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Daugherty Business Solutions full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Work - Life balance and Benefits were excellent

Cons

Work is primarily staff aug.

2. "Very clicky environment"

I have been working at Daugherty Business Solutions full-time

Pros

Very comprehensive benefits package. Interesting Client engagements,

Cons

Not enough variety in client engagements

May 8, 2017 – Marketing Specialist

Thank you for your feedback. We're sorry you had such a negative experience, but appreciate the opportunity to improve.

"Wanted to rate a 3, but can't"

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Daugherty Business Solutions full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

*You will have the opportunity to learn, both self directed and instructor based.
    *The benefits are truly better than any where I have ever worked.
    *You will have the ability to learn from a variety of people.

Cons

*Learn from a variety of people...in the past year we have turned over the majority of our leadership with little to no communication to us. We find out people have left when we ask people why our emails have gone unanswered.
    *We are supposed to be focused on sales, but we have also turned over 7 sales people in the last three years.
    *We were told a new management structure was coming back in July, there has been no further communication.

Advice to Management

Why are we not communicating to our employee base? Why are we saying negative things about leaders that leave? I am starting to feel very insecure, and I know others are as well.

"Could be worse"

Pros

DBS has some great medical benefits. They offer a lot of trainings and opportunities to continue professional development. Bench actually has work that needs to be done to help the firm, so you aren’t just sitting around waiting, there is a sense of contributing. No travel standard is a nice change from the rest of the consulting world. Recruiting team is great, they care about the people they bring in and regularly check in to make sure contracts are panning out and consultants are engaged.

Cons

Not actually a consulting firm. Unless you are part of an RPM, you will be in a staff aug situation. This isn’t necessarily a bad thing, there needs to be acknowledgement that Daugherty is a body shop, it will definitely help level set expectations. Proving my career and moving up in Daugherty though the client is a lazy approach to career development.
    The trainings have lots of cross over and facilitators don’t always use, endorse or even know where the supporting materials are located on Share Point. “I don’t utilize this, I’m not sure where the template is and I don’t have time to look for it, so you can go look.” And this is the baseline for new PM Consultants to sit through for 9 hours in the evenings over two weeks take a ‘certification’ test with a pencil and paper. Upon failing the test, you’re told the majority of the consultants don’t pass the first time. Everything is after hours and even when there is a training (CSM) that’s done during the work day, you are expected to make up the time so you can bill 40 hours to the client and making for the ask of a 56 hour week. So yes, there is training, but it definitely comes with a personal cost. Makes it much more difficult when you have smaller children at home and a traveling spouse or worse yet, no co-parent to rely on for help. If you don’t take the time, there is definitely a sense of being judged for putting family and personal time first. Unless you’re a married, white male, you will feel the pressure here to work more with no support or understanding from management.
    PTO covers vacation, sick time and national holidays? Bizarre and not explained in hiring process. Turns out, I took a cut in PTO from my previous employer when subtracting holiday time.
    Daugherty isn’t a bad place to work, but it’s not very engaging for those interested in custom solutions and Agile methodology.

Advice to Management

Be honest with new employees, there is little to no consulting and you search for staff augmentation engagements. Realize that starting trainings at 5pm and running them until 9pm is EXTREMELY difficult for many of your people. Review your required trainings, with a harsh filter questioning the true value for the time spent.

Sep 22, 2016 – Marketing Specialist

Thanks for sharing with us! We're sorry that you're having a less than stellar experience. We'll be forwarding this to leadership. To further open communication paths, Daugherty has a virtual... More

"Not that great"

Former Employee - Manager
    Former Employee - Manager

Pros

The health benefits are really good. The consultants are generally good to work with except for a few. The compensation is good. The no travel policy is mostly followed. The office is a nice work space.

Cons

The bonus is tiny. You can't work from home even on the bench so you have to drive into the office which gets to be cumbersome. The PTO includes national holidays so you have to earn them before using. Many times people are let go and no one knows why.

Jun 29, 2016 – Marketing Specialist

Thank you for your feedback. We're always looking for ways to improve Daugherty, and feedback like this is invaluable. We wish you the best in where you go next.

"A much better company for people with 5+ years of experience, but still has many issues"

I worked at Daugherty Business Solutions full-time

Pros

-Health Benefits and pay are great
    -Paid bench
    -Recruiters are very good at working on keeping up to date with you and letting you know what is going on
    -Not required to travel out of state unless you want to
    -There are some very talented developers working there

Cons

-Very terrible on boarding and management. Was rushed out to the client day 1 and expected to know everything
    -Hardly any opportunities
    -Very High Turnover
    -Unspoken rule to spend your life working. You will be looked down on if you don't have outside projects related to committees or the company
    -Internal training was typically 3 hours after work and many times it had a lot of repeated content

Advice to Management

Management, leadership, and on boarding needs serious improvement.

Mar 21, 2016 – Marketing Specialist

Thanks for your feedback! I'm sorry we were not a great fit for you. We have several projects right now related to management and leadership training as well as improving the onboarding process. We... More

"So so corp."

Pros

They have good benefits and lots of opportunities to learn new things thru training and webinars.

Cons

there is a huge focus on staff augmentation and that limits your growth into new areas.

Advice to Management

stop ranking based on committee work and more on project work, where the money ismade

Mar 17, 2016 – Marketing Specialist

Thanks for your feedback. I'm sorry you're not having a great experience at Daugherty. We'll make sure your feedback is heard. We hate to hear that your growth is being limited into new areas. Talk... More

"Proceed with Caution--Do Your Research (by Office)"

Former Employee - Management Consultant in Bloomington, MN
    Former Employee - Management Consultant in Bloomington, MN

I worked at Daugherty Business Solutions full-time (More than a year)

Pros

DBS markets themselves as a consulting firm but they are truly just a staff augmentation firm that primarily specializes in project management. They work almost exclusively within IT and compete against firms like Digineer, York Solutions, Robert Half, Cognizant and other IT consulting firms. They can be a great option for someone that's been working as an independent and wants to join an organization for benefits (health insurance and 401K) and to avoid the grind of business development (sales generation). The medical benefits are very good and you also gain the benefit of having some paid holidays and vacation accrual (which are not available as an independent).

Cons

Each office is independently operated so you really need to do your research. The headquarters is in St Louis and they have many many capabilities the other office do not have. For example, Minneapolis and Chicago do not really have any software developers to speak of so this discipline (and comments on this subject) are not pertinent for those offices. There is no true training provided by the company and the limited courses that are offered typically require attendance after hours (from 6-9 pm) which diminishes your quality of work/life balance. When assigned to a project, you are required to charge a minimum of 40 hours/week and will be challenged by your manager if this does not occur (staff aug behavior). While there is a 401K plan, it is 100% worthless if you don't stay at least 2 years. The company does not begin contributing until after your first full year of employment and their contribution will only be 20% vested after you complete another year. Therefore, they really have no investment in you as an employee if you leave before 2 years elapse (and they consider this when conducting lay-offs). They claim to allow a bench,,,,but this is a hoax,,,, just ask the folks in Chicago and MSP. Management is very unprofessional in dealing with folks that seek and find other employers. If you attempt to give a two week notice, you will probably be told your last day is immediately NOW. They do everything possible to avoid having an employee working in the last two weeks of a contract (or on the bench).

Advice to Management

Be more honest with your employment candidates....you're just a staff aug firm. Act more professionally when dealing with both hiring and terminations.

Jan 29, 2016 – Managing Director

Thank you for the feedback.

I'm sorry that Daugherty MSP was not a good experience for you. Feedback like this is extremely valuable to us and I appreciate you taking the time to write a review... More

"Being independent is so much better"

I worked at Daugherty Business Solutions full-time (More than a year)

Pros

When I worked there, the company attracted a lot of very talented consultants. Many I had worked with before and would love to work with again.

Cons

The management was unwilling to acknowledge my value (by bringing my salary up to industry standards) even though my performance spoke for itself. Hiring decisions were made on growth goals rather than quality and the clients, talented staff and reputation suffered.

Advice to Management

I'm glad you released the person that created this environment. It's too bad so many excellent consultants became casualties along the way. Choose wisely as you move forward and stay strong to your values.

"Staff Augmentation- Sr. Management has issues, bleak prospects"

Former Employee - Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Manager in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Daugherty Business Solutions full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The company offers good base pay and medical benefits. There is also plenty of opportunity to train and learn new things at this company. The consultants are generally nice and easy to work with.

Cons

A considerable amount of senior management and office staff turnover- maybe 30 or 40 percent this year has led to an unstable career environment. If you hit the bench, you have a few weeks before you may be terminated. There have problems with keeping and growing accounts and salespeople. As others have said, you will have to work much more than 40 hours to keep up with what is going on.

Advice to Management

Treat people with respect, Revisit your human resources practices. Hire professional sales people, implement a retention program.