Daugherty Business Solutions Reviews | Glassdoor

Daugherty Business Solutions Reviews

Updated May 15, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
  • They care about the employee and have better work life balance with their local model than other consulting companies (in 21 reviews)

• No travel required with this company (in 20 reviews)

Cons
  • Little work outside of Staff aug (in 26 reviews)

• but thats part of work life balance (in 11 reviews)

"Amazing opportunity to grow your career"

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Daugherty Business Solutions full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

People who work hard and contribute above and beyond 9-5 are rewarded handsomely. In just a 3 years, I was promoted 3 times and increased my annual income by almost 200%. You have to be driven to do that, but if you are ambitious there are many opportunities to create your own career path with Sr leadership supporting you along the way.

Daugherty is a great place to work and invest your career!

Cons

If you're someone who waits for promotions to come to you, you'll probably not receive one. You have to set your sights on a goal, make it known what you want, and then earn it.

If you come to Daugherty with the attitude that life will be easier than your last job, you will fail.

If you don't have a consulting mindset, you'll probably feel that some projects are in a staff augmentation environment. But, if that's how you feel, I'd say you are not a consultant and should consider working in industry.

Advice to Management

Keep setting the bar high. Keep diversifying the portfolio.

Mar 17, 2016 – Marketing Specialist

Thanks for the feedback! We're glad you're loving what you do at Daugherty ATL and congrats on all your promotions. Consulting is a wonderful field, but it's challenging. We believe that Daugherty ... More

"Good potential and growing"

Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Minneapolis, MN

Pros

1. Great consultants - you work with the best consultants in the industry.
    2. Fantastic benefits - You will not find better benefits in the industry
    3. Plenty of training and socializing (see cons)
    4. Paid bench - Very few companies have a fully paid bench.

Cons

1. Little work outside of Staff aug. The company is going through some growing pains.
    2. Training that's after work hours and plenty of them. If you don't make it, it will impact your year end review.
    3. Company is family owned. No clear understanding of company's future ownership.

Advice to Management

High turnover in Minneapolis.Talk to people before they turn in their resignation.

Mar 17, 2016 – Marketing Specialist

Thanks for your feedback! This is how we get better. Good luck to you as you move forward in your career.

"Incompetent management. Hire and fire mentality"

Former Employee - Consultant in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Consultant in Chicago, IL

I worked at Daugherty Business Solutions full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Pay was good which was the bait they use to lure you into the job. They put you in no win situations and let you flounder.

Cons

They hired dozens of people end of 2014 with no work lined up then laid most off in May 2015. People had left stable good pay jobs to work there. Really crummy thing to do. They need to shut down Chicago office and concentrate on cities where they have some traction

Advice to Management

Close Chicago office

Mar 28, 2016 – Marketing Specialist

Thank you for your feedback. Chicago is undergoing leadership changes, and we're expanding our sales team to better support the team. Today, we're growing in our key accounts and the sales team is ... More

5. "Software Engineer III"

Former Employee - Missouri in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Missouri in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Daugherty Business Solutions full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Potential to move career in either a technical or non-technical direction

Cons

Bills itself as a in-house managed projects, but often winds up being a consulting firm. Employees can jump quickly from project to project. Adds bureaucracy at larger client sites.

Mar 17, 2016 – Marketing Specialist

Thanks for the feedback! Good luck in the next part of your career. Thanks for sharing a bit of your journey with us.

"Excellent business model!"

Current Employee - Consultant, Business Analyst II in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Consultant, Business Analyst II in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Daugherty Business Solutions full-time (More than a year)

Pros

People oriented, great medical benefits, strong emphasis on work/life balance, good support structure for the consultants within the client sites

Cons

Slow growth opportunity, long periods between promotion window, not a staff aug firm but some clients are not discouraged from hiring with staff aug intent

Advice to Management

Some of leadership has lost touch with the business model. Need better communication to the consultants in the field.

Mar 17, 2016 – Marketing Specialist

Thanks for your feedback! We're glad that you're loving your work at Daugherty. We appreciate the advice, and we'll make sure your thoughts are seen. Keep up the great work, and thank you for helping ... More

"A Great Company"

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Saint Louis, MO

Pros

- great people to work for
    - great company reputation wherever we are
    - good Benefits (minus Anthem)

Cons

- Daugherty is not in enough companies in the area
    - too much "staff aug" not enough managed service
    - Anthem

Advice to Management

Get away from Anthem - anything out of the ordinary and they think they know better than the doctor

"Think before you jump"

Former Employee - Senior Manager in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Senior Manager in Chicago, IL

Pros

- Market rates
    - OK benefits
    - Thats all i can think of but i have to get to a twenty minimum wordcount

Cons

- Bonused based on tenure not performance or billable utilization. $23 for every month worked
    - No profit sharing or equity opportunities
    - No office autonomy with regards to closing deals, negotiating rates. St Louis has that 'braintrust' and i use that term loosely.
    - Paid bench is a farce. Benches are cleared with more frequency than an ill-tempered hockey match
    - Leadership focuses on the wrong sales activities and gets drawn into a rates race to the bottom on commodity skills. It really is a staff augmentation model and to say otherwise is decivieng the consultants and potential hires.
    - Reputation amongst informed Chicago workforce and potential clients is bad. Attracting the best consultants and the most interesting work is going to be a challenge.
    - Management style and culture is dictatorial and untrusting. Management doesn't lead but rather supervises.

Advice to Management

- Manage and compensate by results
    - Consider incentivizing business development amongst consultants leveraging some deep networks
    - Recruit ambition and talent not burnt out 'experienced' consultants that have done things the same way for 30 years. Especially in 'leadership' positions.
    - Foster a culture with transparency and openness.

Mar 17, 2016 – Marketing Specialist

Thank you for your feedback. I'm sorry you've had such a negative experience with us. Our Chicago office is going through leadership changes, we're hiring more people, and we're excited about the ... More

"Prepare to be BOXED IN"

Former Employee - Engagement Manager in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Engagement Manager in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Daugherty Business Solutions (More than 5 years)

Pros

individual contributors are usually really good people. health benefits are above industry standards. white males get treated the best

Cons

has no commitment to fielding a diverse work group. will ask you to spend lots of personal time on non-value add training and committees. early on will decide what you are good at and not let you move outside that "box"

Advice to Management

treat employees and customers with the utmost respect. as you treat them, so will go your reputation.

Feb 24, 2016 – Managing Director

I’m sorry that you have this impression of our company. While I respect your opinion and I’m sorry that you felt boxed in, my door is always open to all our Minneapolis consultants. If there are ... More

"Bad Strategy & Management"

Former Employee - Senior Manager in Oak Brook, IL
    Former Employee - Senior Manager in Oak Brook, IL

I worked at Daugherty Business Solutions full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There were some nice people and I was able to take training on their dime.

Cons

They are limited to only a couple clients in Chicago and they are all located in the suburbs. In my first week I knew I made the wrong decision and wished I could reverse course. The leadership team did not have a good strategy in place and the current situation was not sustainable, yet they continued to hire and pitch the 'vision'.

Recruiters aren't very good at finding the best people so I regularly saw consultants on the bench milking the cash cow. Many folks wouldn't come to the office much, or for only a few hours each day, fail to complete internal project work and generally took advantage of the situation.

Advice to Management

Perhaps the National strategy was good but the leadership team on the ground was not qualified to execute on it. I'd re-evaluate the strategy to fit the current market and hire the right people to lead the effort.

Mar 17, 2016 – Marketing Specialist

Thanks for sharing. I'm sorry we were not the right fit for you. Our Chicago office is going through leadership changes, we're hiring more people, and we're excited about the possibilities in front ... More

"Proceed with Caution--Do Your Research (by Office)"

Former Employee - Management Consultant in Bloomington, MN
    Former Employee - Management Consultant in Bloomington, MN

I worked at Daugherty Business Solutions full-time (More than a year)

Pros

DBS markets themselves as a consulting firm but they are truly just a staff augmentation firm that primarily specializes in project management. They work almost exclusively within IT and compete against firms like Digineer, York Solutions, Robert Half, Cognizant and other IT consulting firms. They can be a great option for someone that's been working as an independent and wants to join an organization for benefits (health insurance and 401K) and to avoid the grind of business development (sales generation). The medical benefits are very good and you also gain the benefit of having some paid holidays and vacation accrual (which are not available as an independent).

Cons

Each office is independently operated so you really need to do your research. The headquarters is in St Louis and they have many many capabilities the other office do not have. For example, Minneapolis and Chicago do not really have any software developers to speak of so this discipline (and comments on this subject) are not pertinent for those offices. There is no true training provided by the company and the limited courses that are offered typically require attendance after hours (from 6-9 pm) which diminishes your quality of work/life balance. When assigned to a project, you are required to charge a minimum of 40 hours/week and will be challenged by your manager if this does not occur (staff aug behavior). While there is a 401K plan, it is 100% worthless if you don't stay at least 2 years. The company does not begin contributing until after your first full year of employment and their contribution will only be 20% vested after you complete another year. Therefore, they really have no investment in you as an employee if you leave before 2 years elapse (and they consider this when conducting lay-offs). They claim to allow a bench,,,,but this is a hoax,,,, just ask the folks in Chicago and MSP. Management is very unprofessional in dealing with folks that seek and find other employers. If you attempt to give a two week notice, you will probably be told your last day is immediately NOW. They do everything possible to avoid having an employee working in the last two weeks of a contract (or on the bench).

Advice to Management

Be more honest with your employment candidates....you're just a staff aug firm. Act more professionally when dealing with both hiring and terminations.

Jan 29, 2016 – Managing Director

Thank you for the feedback. I'm sorry that Daugherty MSP was not a good experience for you. Feedback like this is extremely valuable to us and I appreciate you taking the time to write a review ... More