David Evans and Associates Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.4
Al Barkouli

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "great people to work with, great for building contacts and skills"

I have been working at David Evans and Associates full-time

Pros

Competent and invested managers, broad experience base in coworkers, interesting projects, encouragement to pursue interests, pay is above average for industry

Cons

HR and corporate can be very disorganized

Advice to Management

Better communication between business units and central HR/Corporate operations would make life a lot easier for everyone... there have been several major hiccups throughout my time here.

David Evans and Associates Response

Jun 28, 2017 – Director of Recruiting

I am happy to hear about your positive experiences with DEA. Our Director of HR invites you to call or email and share your concerns regarding the hiccups you mentioned. We are always striving to... More

2. "Good temp job"

I have been working at David Evans and Associates full-time

Pros

Employee lunches, snacks and coffee all the time

Cons

Some hostile working conditions with employees fighting to the top

"Great team, needs software overhaul"

Former Employee - Accounting Department in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Accounting Department in Portland, OR

I worked at David Evans and Associates (Less than a year)

Pros

Wonderful team of fun people. Awesome management!

Cons

Accounting software is severely outdated and not up to industry standard. If they would update this they could cut back on manpower and be so much more efficient. After experiencing industry standard software at other companies I was unable to go backwards and adapt to DEA's inefficiencies.

Advice to Management

Management is very kind and hands-on, they are great! Ditch the outdated accounting software, listen when you are told there is a better way, pay attention to what the industry is utilizing. You will be so much better off and will attract and retain top talent.

"Good regional firm"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

I worked at David Evans and Associates full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Progressive west coast ideals
    Opportunity for advancement
    Employees take an interest in each other and the community

Cons

Fluctuations in work lead to excessive focus on utilization rates of individual employees.
    Delusions of grandeur in upper management

Advice to Management

Forget about competing with huge international companies and focus on doing what you do best.

"Managers Need Leadership | No Career Growth"

I worked at David Evans and Associates full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Most of the staff was very friendly and willing to help each other. The office is large and clean. Most of the senior level managers are very knowledgeable in engineering and willing to answer any questions or provide help whenever possible. DEA has some great clients and projects to keep staff busy.

Cons

The company has potential to be a great company to stay at long term but the current numbers focused business model creates division between sectors within the company. Often managers from one sector do not like to share staff/work with those in others because of business unit revenue. This division between sectors trickles down and creates division between staff members of different sectors within the same office. This creates a hostile work environment when managers look at each other as competition rather than as associates working towards a common goal.
    Some of the managers are very overpowering and can be demeaning and controlling to their staff. Management styles tend to be very chaotic and there is little to no communication between managers and subordinates. This also creates hostility within the office.
    DEA seems to be very focused on mergers and acquisitions which has created a feeling of uncertainty for much of the staff. The company doesn't seem to put much value on employees as actual people or invest in the growth of individuals.
    Benefits are very poor.

Advice to Management

The company does a lot of surveys among the staff but doesn't seem to implement any of the feedback. Try to focus more on your employees and show as much effort in their value as you do clients. Have management actually train younger staff to move up within the company so people don't have to leave just to move up. When a manager is clearly not cut out to manage people, do something about it don't let the poor treatment of their staff continue. Invest in your employees and their benefits and they will be more willing to work hard for the company.

"All good things come to an end"

Former Employee - Staff Engineer in Ontario, CA
    Former Employee - Staff Engineer in Ontario, CA

I worked at David Evans and Associates full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

If you're one of the trusted guys, you'll do great. The hours are flexible and there is plenty of work to go around. The people in the office are great. Lots of good friendships.

Cons

The management progressively got worse in my time with the company. They focused less on training staff and gave all the complicated work to the longer tenured people. New staff were basically an afterthought and VERY underutilized. Lots of miscommunication or lack thereof. The group was so strong when I started and has become something I would no longer be a part of. It's really sad what's happened

Advice to Management

Spend more time developing staff, communicate more with them, and try to spread the work around to everyone. Rather ham having a bunch of people specialize on one type of work, train everyone to do every type so that everyone is well rounded. It'll be better for the management and the staff.

David Evans and Associates Response

Dec 5, 2016 – Director of Recruiting

Hello. I would be very grateful if you could take a few minutes and talk with me about these issues. Being in charge of recruiting these are things I would like to know more about as retention is... More

7. "Document Controls Assistant"

I worked at David Evans and Associates part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good company culture, friendly people

Cons

Not much opportunity in the area of project controls

"A lot of potential but stagnant"

I worked at David Evans and Associates full-time

Pros

Fair pay, reasonable benefits, for the most part really good people. A good client list who are as loyal as any in this time of "low cost wins all." For the most part this is a good company with good rank and file staff who take pride in delivering a great service. The company tries hard to provide a decent work/life balance for the staff, promote good health, and get people together for little social events. The projects won are usually interesting and sometimes challenging, although those are getting harder and harder to come by.

Cons

DEA used to have the reputation of being cutting edge, willing to invest in new technology, ideas, and take some reasonable risks. Since the recession, there has been little willingness to move forward with new approaches or technology or to improve IT issues, equipment, or to embrace the ideas of the newer generation of engineers. The idea of growth thorough acquisition has been lackluster at best. DEA is very proud of its cultural drivers, but like so many things they have a hard time living up to those ideals in practice. Marketing has been gutted and there has been a steady exodus of valuable institutional knowledge.

Advice to Management

You can't fix everything by cutting costs and redefining the companies approach every 12 months. Try actually enforcing the company policies of collaborating business units instead of allowing the creation of little fiefdoms.

"This is a good place to work!"

I have been working at David Evans and Associates full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

1. I work with a great group of civil engineering professionals.
    2. I have a flexible work schedule that allows me to spend time and attend events during the week for my children.
    3. We are involved in interesting projects across the Western part of the United States.

Cons

1. Management tends to focus on the monthly numbers and push utilization on employees.
    2. Tend to keep under performing employees around to long.

Advice to Management

Make sure all employees feel they are adding value no matter what their job duties are.

"Senior Marketing Coordinator"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA

I worked at David Evans and Associates (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible schedule and great staff

Cons

Commute to Bellevue was horrible from Snohomish County