David Lerner Associates Reviews

Updated Nov 30, 2020

3.1
David Lerner Associates President and CEO Martin Walcoe
Martin Walcoe
Pros
  • "They pay for you to get licensed(in 5 reviews)

• "I met some nice people still friends but they all left like I did(in 4 reviews)

Cons
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
  1. "Great work environment and experience"

Former Employee - Investment Counselor in Syosset, NY

I worked at David Lerner Associates full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great environment. Surrounded by advisors who are very successful and established in their field. Great leadership from branch managers.

Cons

Long work hours and very high expectations

September 9, 2020Director of Human Resources

Thank you for your positive review! We are so happy to hear about the support you enjoyed from your senior co-workers and branch management. We agree that these relationships are key to the success of our New Associates. When you combine this encouragement with your own hard work and efforts, the only place to go is up! Thanks again, and all the best to you in the future!

2. "Not good"

2.0
    • Diversity & Inclusion
    Former Employee - Investment Counselor in Boca Raton, FL

I worked at David Lerner Associates full-time for less than a year

Pros

My local management team made an effort at first

Cons

Owner pushes the company mutual funds and will abuse you in training. Leadership is lazy and the marketing and technology are severely outdated for a professional company.

December 3, 2020Director of Human Resources

We are sorry to hear that your career with David Lerner Associates did not meet your expectations! This has been a challenging year for all with many shifting priorities and a lot of changes happening all at once. One of our biggest focal points in adapting to the new normal has been a major update to our Marketing strategies and usage of technology. We have brought onboard a new Digital Marketing Manager and recently began holding Investment Webinars to drive new business. We now have the ability to meet with our clients virtually and have invested in the technology and security necessary to empower a remote sales team. Financial sales is always a tough business, and not for the faint at heart. It does take time and effort to build up your business into a lucrative one. While salary is not usually part of a salesperson’s compensation package, we do pay all licensing expenses, as well as a non-recoverable draw against commissions for our New Associates. We do take great pride in our training and mentoring programs! That being said, it has been a tough year…however, I would be happy to have a conversation regarding any lack of support you may have felt during your tenure with us, so that I may address specifics with your branch’s management team. Please feel free to reach out to Human Resources directly at any time!

3. "2 years at DLA"

Former Employee - Investment Advisor in Trenton, NJ

I worked at David Lerner Associates full-time

Pros

They pay for your training

Cons

They promote their own products too much

January 20, 2021Director of Human Resources

Thank you for your feedback! We are glad to hear about your appreciation for our training program… we take great pride in providing this foundation to our New Associates. We believe the strongest approach to a healthy investment portfolio is one of quality and diversification, and we are very proud to offer proprietary products that accomplish this. However, we also offer a full range of products available to provide our clients with an assortment of investment options. Thanks again for your comments, we do wish you all the best in your future endeavors!

4. "Out dated business model"

2.0
    Former Employee - Financial Consultant in White Plains, NY

I worked at David Lerner Associates full-time for more than a year

Pros

The owner is still hands on

Cons

You're pushing garbage to the public

June 30, 2020Director of Human Resources

At David Lerner Associates we are proud of our wide range of product offerings. While we focus on investments that are designed to create distributions, interest, and dividends, we evaluate all of our products to make sure they meet our standards for value. This allows us to service each client with investments that are best suited for their unique financial goals and objectives. We are always honored to hear the sage advice of Mr. Lerner, or “Poppy” as he is affectionately referred to – after all, he built this company from nothing over 44 years ago, and it’s still going strong! The fact that he still takes the time to educate and train our new Associates is impressive and greatly appreciated. We are constantly striving to do better, and we do wish you the best in your future endeavors!

5. "Proceed with Caution"

1.0
    Former Employee - Investment Counselor

I worked at David Lerner Associates full-time for less than a year

Pros

They pay for you to get licensed.

Cons

You are a stock broker. Cold calling is the only way to get business, you are expected to work until 9pm and weekends. They present themselves as a full service financial advisor/planner but incentives seem to only be for DLA mutual funds which cant compete on open market alternatives. Also prospects who google David Lerner will run for the hills based on FINRA violations alone.

January 31, 2020Director of Human Resources

We are sorry to hear that this position was not as you expected. We are proud to sponsor new Investment Counselors for their licensing as it shows that our firm is committed to the success of our new hires. As with any other sales-related job, building a lucrative book of business takes time and dedication. Had you given the process a chance, you would have found that our more senior, well-established Associates started down the same road and found success through hard work and perseverance. Once an Associate establishes themselves as trustworthy and reliable, word-of-mouth lends a huge boost to their client base. However, this does not happen overnight and requires some effort, rather than giving up on the first day.

6. "Advisor"

I have been working at David Lerner Associates

Pros

A fun company with a lot of support.

Cons

You have to put the time in and listen to your mentors, business will happen .

December 17, 2019Director of Human Resources

Thank you for your feedback! We’re glad you agree that we are a fun company to work for, with industry-leading support for our new Associates. While building a client base can be stressful, our Senior Associates and our Management team are happy to provide their tried and true advice to help you along on your way to success. If you keep doing as they do, business will indeed happen. Keep up the good work!

7. "DON"T GIVE YOUR MONEY TO POPPY!!!"

1.0
    Former Employee - Investment Counselor in Syosset, NY

I worked at David Lerner Associates full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Nice location for transit & good food around the area.

Cons

Greedy owners, Unethical management, offers terrible benefits, using 1980 Tactics for selling garbage!

August 28, 2019Director of Human Resources

We are sorry to hear of your negative feelings toward our founder, David Lerner. Over the years, countless clients have trusted "Poppy's" investment advice with great success. We take that trust very seriously and ensure that our Investment Counselors provide ethical guidance in choosing the most suitable vehicles to preserve and grow our client's assets. As is with many companies these days, maintaining a comprehensive and affordable benefit structure has been a challenge, and we are working on different initiatives to reduce costs for all. You identify yourself as an employee for over 5 years, so we have to assume there was a time when you were happy to be a part of the David Lerner Associates family. We welcome a conversation to discuss where along the line your feelings changed. Please contact Human Resources if you would like to share your story with us so we can continue to improve our employee experience.

8. "Great place to work"

Former Employee - Compliance Associate in Syosset, NY

I worked at David Lerner Associates part-time for more than a year

Pros

flexible hours and atmosphere, bagels on fridays, company outings and events, relaxed atmosphere

Cons

Mostly older folks, Not as many young people,

August 28, 2019Director of Human Resources

We're thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your time with us! We can't deny, bagels are a very popular perk around here ;-) All of the pros you mention lend to making our workplace so pleasant that some employees never want to leave! We are happy to work with those loyal staff members until they are ready to retire, and do our best to fill those openings with up and coming professionals. Thank you for your contribution and your positive review!

9. "Mutual fund clerk"

4.0
    Former Employee - Mutual Fund Representative in Syosset, NY

I worked at David Lerner Associates full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good work environment good benefits amazing team/ coworkers

Cons

not many advancement opportunities

August 28, 2019Director of Human Resources

We are so happy to hear that you enjoyed your time with us! We agree that we do have an amazing family of co-workers here. We appreciate your desire to move up within the company. Sometimes, with such a happy team, turnover is so low that it can be difficult to wait for advancement opportunities to present themselves. Thank you for your contribution and your positive review!

10. "Finally Feel at Home!"

Current Employee - Administration in Syosset, NY

I have been working at David Lerner Associates full-time for more than a year

Pros

Supportive family atmosphere, friendly co-workers, mutual respect between sales staff and administration, compassionate managers. I've never felt so welcome, comfortable and appreciated as I do here!

Cons

Minimal holidays (only closed when the market is). Some processes and ideals are a bit old-fashioned and could stand to move forward.

August 28, 2019Director of Human Resources

We are so glad to hear that you enjoy working with us! We're sure the feeling is mutual. Working with the stock market can sometimes be a grueling schedule, and we are working toward making sure all employees get the R&R that they deserve. Thank you for your contribution and positive review!

Viewing 1 - 10 of 58 English Reviews