David Lerner Associates Reviews | Glassdoor

John Dempsey

1. "Great Company"

Former Employee - Investment Advisor in Springfield, NJ
    Former Employee - Investment Advisor in Springfield, NJ

I worked at David Lerner Associates full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I've worked with plenty of firms and David Lerner was by far the best because they actually care about their clients. They like to focus on products outside of the market and the philosophy is always.....income.....get paid from your investments. Joe and Rande treat you like family, they care about your personal health and your work health and want to see you making money even if they have to give you business to pursue.

Cons

Limited product selection in your first year.

You will work.....a lot!(Required to build a sustainable business)

Advice to Management

As long as Joe and Rande are running the place, it should be smooth sailing. Keep it up gentlemen.

2. "Financial Advisor / Vice President role review"

Pros

Good-hearted, family-owned and operated business. Tenured Financial Advisors with mature books of business. Base ($40-80k depending on experience) for the first year, with commission payouts .45-.70 plus residuals. No office fees or expenses and the firm pays for (or will split costs) for promotional events - Seminars, etc.
    In addition to proprietary products - Spirit Of America mutual funds, APLE reits, Energy 11 MLPs - there is access to other firms investment/insurance products.

Cons

Family owned and operated business, Proprietary Mutual Funds (Spirit of America), APLE Reits, and Energy 11 MLP.
    No assistance building business, despite lots of available accounts (which are sit on and not worked by the old-timers). Management insists on door-to-door prospecting to Business Owners (similar to Edward Jones' model of knocking on residential homes) -- it's grueling, ineffective and very time consuming.

Advice to Management

Embrace internet marketing and do not be afraid of this new medium.
    Hold advisors more accountable for their time and production.
    Reduce large accounts of Senior Brokers to under 500 clients and release the remaining accounts to Junior Brokers with a split to the Seniors, (for their mentoring and assistance in closing business).
    Invest in local office promotional events to generate business and get the phone ringing.

3. "You should know before working there..."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boca Raton, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boca Raton, FL

Pros

Not much - Receive sponsorship and small income year 1 and Branch level management is good across the board

Cons

Their turnover rate is 95% + in year 1, if you don't read anything else that should be enough. In business you can't take the philosophy of high turnover to be efficient and sustain in business. One month they hired a number of people of which a fraction gets through the licensing process during the sponsorship phase to see them all quit within the month. In the Boca Raton office, the management demanded a 9-9 Mon-Thurs and 'make yourself available on weekends too' if necessary work week. You may be subjected to harassment as well so be aware of that.
    Archaic, I mean stone age technology and business model. The training is not good either; it is provided by David's tag-along brother that lost relevance probably 20 yrs ago, focusing primarily on product. No LEADS, NO Marketing, they claim you will make 187K year 2+ thats false just like you will be provided with marketing support also false. The "Benefits" specifically the medical don't kick in until after 5000 out of pocket expenses. The President of the company even stated the firm wasn't making any money to the whole company in an email to everyone.

Advice to Management

Nothing, other than this question - what is the difference between a guy that quits or leaves or is let go at the end of year one to a new hire that you pay the same amount for but start with square 1?

5. "Investment Counselor"

Former Employee - Investment Counselor in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Investment Counselor in San Diego, CA

I worked at David Lerner Associates full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great product offerings and unique to other brokerage firms.

Cons

Takes time to establish a book of business.

Advice to Management

None.

"Big Company Perks, Small Company Feel"

Current Employee - Investment Counselor in Syosset, NY
    Current Employee - Investment Counselor in Syosset, NY

I have been working at David Lerner Associates full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

A lot of reviews on here are seem to be from people who worked for the company for a very short amount of time and for the most part didn't make it for whatever reason. I have worked at other brokerage firms before DLA and this is, by far, the best company I have worked for. It's a family run business where you can literally speak directly to the owner, the president of the company, and all of upper management, and tell them your thoughts and they actually listen. You have the support and backing of a large corporation but it really is like a family where everyone knows everyone else. I have never seen that before at any other firm. If you do your work and hit your goals, they let you do what you want. You make your own hours. Lot's of flexibility and your income is only limited by how hard you are willing to work for it. Judging by other reviews, since many of them don't even get the position titles correct, that tells me they weren't there for any reasonable length of time to understand or appreciate these facts or they just weren't cut out for this. It definitely takes a certain type to success in this field.

Cons

Starting off a career in this field requires a LOT of work. There is a reason when you are hired, they tell you up front to expect to work 9-9 Mon - Thurs, 9-5 on Friday and at least one weekend day. It takes that much to build your business. For those that don't or won't, they usually fail. Once you do, however, it does get easier but it can take some IC's up to 4 or 5 years to get there. Initially, if you have a family this can be tough. I started before I started my family so by the time I built my business up, this was not a problem but I have seen others struggle with this.

While management encourages you to offer "core" products, you can offer your clients anything you want. Also, there could be more direct product training as well, not just for the first few months but ongoing over time.

Advice to Management

Open up the field a bit to give your investment counselors more options for their clients. Also, provide more training on those products to arm your counselors with every tool they could possibly have to succeed.

"investment counselor"

Former Employee - Investment Counselor in Ridgefield Park, NJ
    Former Employee - Investment Counselor in Ridgefield Park, NJ

I worked at David Lerner Associates full-time (More than a year)

Pros

they will give you a small salary and get you licensed

Cons

no help from co-workers, very greedy.....

Advice to Management

Help new counselors get out there with real opportunity , not old outdated call system with #'s of people whom have been dead for 15 years.

8. "Good environment"

Pros

good products, good staff and management

Cons

very old fashioned and unwilling to advance

"Great Place to work."

I have been working at David Lerner Associates full-time

Pros

Great place to work and build a business. Great support from management, training for all licensing. Great investment lroducts for clients.

Cons

Not as much technology as I would like, and it would be nice to have more marketing materials.

10. "Financial Consultant"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Syosset, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Syosset, NY

Pros

None at all! I met some nice people still friends but they all left like I did!

Cons

The company lies to its employees and its clients. Terrible place to work and do investing!

"Awful Experience"

Former Employee - Investment Counselor in Teaneck, NJ
    Former Employee - Investment Counselor in Teaneck, NJ

I worked at David Lerner Associates full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Willing to sponsor you for your licenses
    John Dempsey is the best!!!

Cons

The sales process, the products, and management.
    My first day at DLA was horrible! It was a Monday and I came in at 9am and left at 9pm. I had no clue what I was getting myself into. This guy in management just tells you to bang the phones and you'll be successful. I've never seen anyone "bang the phones" at the office other than the new guys. There is some sort of favoritism going on at that branch and the crazy thing is everyone knows. Everyone talks about it amongst each other but not willing to bring it up. The training there really is sink or swim, it's either you got it or you don't they say making you believe that you are not built for the industry but the truth is their methods are childish and outdated (look at the website). Be very careful this might not be the place for you!

Advice to Management

If you are going to have people in an office for 12 hours order something better than pizza.
    You should allow at the very least 6 months of training/mentoring before you allow people to sell financial products to people. Maybe you would have a better turnover rate if you gave your new producers some quality orphans instead of splitting between management and the kids of management.