David's Bridal Reviews in Chicago, IL | Glassdoor

2.7
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Paul S. Pressler

Pros
Cons
  • Only Part-Time (Management Is Only Full-Time) (in 51 reviews)

• Part time is available but not full time unless you're the manager (in 50 reviews)

"Slaveids Bridal"

Current Employee - Bridal Consultant/Stylist in Norridge, IL
    Current Employee - Bridal Consultant/Stylist in Norridge, IL

I have been working at David's Bridal full-time

Pros

Competitive environment, happy clientele, sales competitions and awards, pot lucks and parties.

Cons

A whole lot of work for less than minimum wage. They would work their best part time sales people, like me, 39.5 hrs., so we couldn't claim full employment with benefits. It's allot harder to earn $200 an hour sales to make 0.08% commission, when your working all day, every day. Very stressful and the hours sucked, and Shi did management. They would schedule me hours I had requested off months back, like my daughter's birthday. I told them I wasn't coming in. Sorry.

Advice to Management

None.they closed the store down because management ran it down to the ground. This store had great potential, unfortunately it couldn't reach that potential. I loved my job, I just did not like how the employees were used and abused.

"Brides are great"

Former Employee - Bridal Consultant in Aurora, IL
    Former Employee - Bridal Consultant in Aurora, IL

Pros

Working with Brides is very rewarding.

Cons

The pay structure is ridiculous. Full time employees are commission only.
    I never received my state mandated "lunch" break. I was a top seller and my manager wanted to keep me with brides all day.

Advice to Management

"Employee who was miserable"

Former Employee - Customer Service Supervisor in Merrillville, IN
    Former Employee - Customer Service Supervisor in Merrillville, IN

I worked at David's Bridal part-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Loved the customers . They are what make the company work. To help s potential bridal with her wedding plans are truly one of the highlights of the job. The merchandise can be flimsy but otherwise quality merchandise. Prices are good also

Cons

Horrible company! With awful district,and regional managers who do nothing to support the employees. Refuse to give raises for employees that have excel well in the company. Your corporate heads need to take classes on professionalism and people skills.

Advice to Management

Please take classes on professionalism. And people skills. Need to retrain on the core values that made the company great years ago. Stop stressing your employees, especially the consultants that make it possible for your jobs!

5. "bridal consultant"

Former Employee - Bridal Consultant in Hobart, IN
    Former Employee - Bridal Consultant in Hobart, IN

I worked at David's Bridal (More than a year)

Pros

Loved being a part of someones special day

Cons

Could be overwhelming with more than 1 bride

"Meh"

Current Employee - Alterations Specialist in Schaumburg, IL
    Current Employee - Alterations Specialist in Schaumburg, IL

I have been working at David's Bridal part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible schedule, will train in alterations techniques

Cons

Forced part-time for entire department, zero chance of moving up unless you want to become administration

David's Bridal Response

Mar 3, 2016 – Sr. Director, Field Human Resources

We do offer flexibility as one of our key benefits for all store roles at David’s. Our roles are part-time, as this allows us to schedule to the needs of both our customers and employees. We also ... More

7. "Stylist"

Former Employee - Stylist in Yorkville, IL
    Former Employee - Stylist in Yorkville, IL

I worked at David's Bridal (More than 3 years)

Pros

It was a fun place to work, and your co-workers become like family. You see them more Jan- April than your own. Working with the brides is amazing!!! Helping them find their dream dress is great!!

Cons

No room to grow. Lots of favoritism.

8. "HORRIBLE😡"

Former Employee - Wedding Consultant in Orland Park, IL
    Former Employee - Wedding Consultant in Orland Park, IL

I worked at David's Bridal part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Meeting nice people, working with brides, discount on dresses that's it its nothing else that's great about working at this job

Cons

Working with women, horrible management, low pay, hard to make commission, the worst company I ever worked for! I'm glad I quit they don't respect your time

Advice to Management

Put your managers in management classes

"Full-Time Stylist"

Former Employee - Stylist in Vernon Hills, IL
    Former Employee - Stylist in Vernon Hills, IL

I worked at David's Bridal full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Absolutely love the ladies I work with! If you let it, this job will definitely help you grow as an employee and person. I know I have during my time here. Very rewarding when you are able to bring joy to your customers. I've met some incredible people and heard some amazing stories. Regular retail will not teach you what this place does.

Cons

Physically and emotionally draining. Some customers are really unreasonable and have no problem disrespecting you. While this is not 100% of the time I did feel like this on a weekly basis. Customers do not listen to our advice so when they cant order something or have no time to then we get the blame. When it's not busy it really kills your commission. Managers are under so much pressure. It just seems like there are unrealistic expectations from the higher-ups. The website confuses people so we regularly get unhappy people who come in looking for items they thought were in store. Dress code doesn't really bother me much but it is boring only being able to wear black. Weekends are mandatory so I've missed out on more family and friend gatherings than I care to count. It is not all bad but too many negatives outweigh the little positives for me.

Advice to Management

During slow season hours should be changed.
    THE STORE DOES NOT NEED TO BE OPEN WHEN THERE IS A CRAZY BLIZZARD!!!

"Blah"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oak Lawn, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oak Lawn, IL

Pros

Decent co-workers. Benefits for full time employees.

Cons

Brides...need I say more? Needy and way too particular. They don't seem to realize that this is David's Bridal. Your buying a $300 wedding gown off the rack. It's not going to be perfect

Management is changing big time which is good and bad. My store manager is amazing but the DM and upper levels are to busy trying to prove themselves. Everything has to be perfect to a T. If your not running around carrying 15 lb dresses in heels then your not doing good enough.

Dress code is a nightmare. Black, white, ivory, blush colors only. No colored nail polish and yes management will notice. Every hair in place and makeup must be flawless. As I said black heels need to be worn as long as possible. If you must change into flats they need to be leather or patent leather no fabric flats.

Advice to Management

If you make rules and policies stick to them. We look like the bad guy when we tell customers that it's not something we can do. Then when they threaten to call corporate we'll do all but open up the registers and give you the cash.

Relax. Your running a bridal salon not a hospital. Lives are not at risk here. Nobody's going to go into cardiac arrest if my hair is pulled back into a ponytail.

11. "N/A"

Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Chicago, IL

Pros

Get to try on gowns

Cons

Poor pay and returns that reflects your pay

Advice to Management

N/A