David's Bridal Reviews

• Part-time
2.9
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Pamela B. Wallack

Pros
  • The best part about working here was working with brides & having a bunch of female co-workers (in 17 reviews)

• It's a wonderful feeling when you help the bride find her dream dress (in 25 reviews)

Cons
  • Commission is double if full time, but no one is a (in 35 reviews)

• Forced part-time for entire department, zero chance of moving up unless you want to become administration (in 32 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"happy store manager"

Current Employee - Store Manager
    Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at David's Bridal full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Very rewarding, company invests in employees through training programs, new store managers are put on a 9 week program with HR to set them up for success in their stores, wonderful clientele, great team environment, fun, every day is a new challenge, corporate hears the employees on the store level and implements new changes based on our feedback, feel very appreciated from our DM and RVP, awesome monthly/quarterly bonuses, benefits package is awesome. Great company to work for!!!

Cons

Old computer systems (these are improving 2016), it can be a high-stress job at times during our busy season

Advice to Management

Continue to listen to the people on the store level to continue improving.

David's Bridal Response

Oct 27, 2015 – Sr. Director, Field Human Resources

Thank you for your feedback, and for your leadership at David’s Bridal where we work to make a difference in the lives of our customers every day. We are happy to hear that you are having ... More

2. "The good the bad and the ugly"

Current Employee - Alterations Specialist in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Alterations Specialist in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at David's Bridal full-time

Pros

Fast paced, upbeat, fun place to work, you'll get tons of experience

Cons

You will work till you drop. Must work evenings and weekends. Schedules change often and the hey won't notify you - its your responsibility to know your schedule even if it changes on your day off for the day after your day off. A real biggie is that you are often filled with appts back to back with no break, but if you don't take a meal break, they dock your pay! So you work your butt off with no break on a 9 or 10 hr shift and then they take 30 min pay away because they booked you so heavily and state law says you get a break????

Advice to Management

Pay more attention to your employees as people, maybe that would help the huge turnover

3. "bridal stylist"

Current Employee - Bridal Consultant in Edison, NJ
    Current Employee - Bridal Consultant in Edison, NJ

I have been working at David's Bridal (More than a year)

Pros

You help brides find their perfect dress.

Cons

commission percentage is very low.

Advice to Management

increase pay and incentives

5. "Stylist"

Current Employee - Service Supervisor/Bridal Consultant in Pinole, CA
    Current Employee - Service Supervisor/Bridal Consultant in Pinole, CA

I have been working at David's Bridal part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The company provides health benefits, the pay is competitive with other retailers, they tend to promote within the company and don't require a degree to move into management.

Cons

The appointment times are quite short and a bride expects more than an hour when looking for the perfect wedding gown. Low base pay. Commission is double if full time, but no one is a full time stylist.

Advice to Management

Work on better communication between management. Train entire store in a consistent manner so all employees perform tasks to company standard. Never make promises unless willing to honor them.

6. "Former Worker"

Former Employee - Wedding Consultant in Warner Robins, GA
    Former Employee - Wedding Consultant in Warner Robins, GA

I worked at David's Bridal (Less than a year)

Pros

Fun work to be apart of...

Cons

Pay scale and macon market is not large

"Wishing they had more full time employees"

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative/Receiver
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative/Receiver

I have been working at David's Bridal part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Management and dm are great

Cons

Been there for 2 years as a csr / while staying on top of receiving aswell and i cannot get full time. The company complains about special order aging but with basically me being in charge of shipping , how can they expect to get the same outcome with a csr / receiver when the last employee was a full time shipper receiver. Not to mention new hours we get are used to hire more employees instead of making people who have stuck around with the company for so long who are still part time.

"Manager pay may seem higher than most but this is no boutique."

Current Employee - Assistant Manager
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager

I have been working at David's Bridal full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Working with brides is amazing! Discount is good if you need formal wear.

Cons

Bridal Xmas is crazy! January- March. 6 day work weeks, no weekends off do not dare get sick. Not enough managers, Even during slow time you will still work 6 days so everyone can take vacation. This is at least 10 weeks in our store.

Advice to Management

Every store should have a part time key holder to relieve managers and not burn them out. No one likes to be micromanaged. Upgrade your systems .

9. "Stylist"

Current Employee - Stylist
    Current Employee - Stylist

Pros

The management at my store are extremely supportive and really want you to succeed. Working with the brides is usually really fun, and it feels great when you help a bride find her perfect dress!

Cons

The commission can be spotty because there isn't always an opportunity to make your goal.

10. "Working at David's"

Pros

Business goals are solid and the company executives are willing to share financial and directional goals and mileposts on a fairly regular basis. The people are the best asset at David's - particularly middle management and the "worker" bees.

Cons

The culture has been striving to change for the past few years, but change management is lacking in clear direction and execution. There are still remnants of "not my problem" syndrome in various departments, causing unnecessary conflict.

11. "Good for starting your career but thats about it"

Current Employee - Information Technology
    Current Employee - Information Technology

I have been working at David's Bridal full-time

Pros

I worked in he IT department and my manager was pretty cool so I was able to work from home, go to work events and not be required to come in afterwards. I was given the freedom to do as pleased as long as I completed my task list. In my case my manager and director both played a major role in keeping my spirit and my lively-hood. Not everyone had this experience mind you with their direct leadership.My manager was good at making sure we weren't overworked or burned out so i thank him a lot for that. He also made sure I started with a higher salary, my director gave me paid time off during my first 3 months so that I can go to a festival I wanted to go to. Again these are awesome things that are unique to me and though am not saying no one else has had similar but I know of people who weren't as fortunate.But we will get to that later.

Cons

I'll do this in list format, 1. There is no incentive to stay across the aboard, especially if you're on the infrastructure side of the IT house. Fret not I'll elaborate, for you to climb up the corporate ladder the person above you must leave that position one way or another or you must be with the "in group/crowd" to succeed. So if you happen to be boys with the CIO odds are you'll climb the ladder otherwise you'll remain in a constant never ending stalemate. My manager recently asked our VP what would it take for him to become director and he pretty much was told only step for him is senior manager and thats it. This is very much an old boys club or girls club depending on which department you're in. If you're in with the "cool" people you'll see SOME progression, otherwise good luck. 2. This kinda goes with number 1 but I decided to separate it but this has to do with bonus. Senior management bases most of the salary employees bonus on "projected plan". Now projected plan is the number the senior management team comes up with that we must meet that day, week, quarter, etc. Trouble is project plan is set really high and this is do to the senior management team wanting to be more aggressive with us turning more of a profit. Because of this we never make pan or we just miss it (how convenient) therefor no one gets a bonus. Meanwhile some salaried employees and most hourly employees get the $250 or $500 a year bonus. You get $500 if you're full time, and $250 if you're not. Also our contact center associates don't even get a cut from the sales they drive. 3. Your raise is a flat 3% increase, if you meet and/or exceed company expectations you get a 3% raise but if you did not meet company expectation you don't get a raise. I don't consider 3% a good raise if am honest. 4. The work atmosphere could also be better at times. Senior management doesn't do a good job at raising the moral. If you were placed by the old regime there are strong odds the new regime will replace you in favor of someone else they prefer. If you start to NOT meet their expectations, regardless of whether or not you're at fault for the lack of performance they will terminate you. In the 1 year stay I've seen many heads role, including entire departments being cleansed. 5. Bottom level employees are invisible to Senior management. figuratively and literally. I've seen members of IT do work with senior management and when those lower level employees approached the same executives they've worked with during town hall meetings, the executives had no recollection of who they were. The one executive even mistaken my manager for the valet guy, despite the fact that my manager had worked with this individual for the past couple months...directly!

Advice to Management

My advice to the senior management of david's bridal goes as following 1. Get competitive with your salaries, give proper raises, raises that reflect the work ethic and work output of the employee(s). Make the bonus something achievable not something as allusive as a unicorn. Failure to do so will lead to a lack of ability to \hold any of your talented employees. Your establishment will become a revolving door for those who are talented. In fact the talent will not only use your establishment as a stepping stone but they might pull other resources from you. In layman's term, talented employee leaves and takes people with them. 2. Lighten up the work place more, I mean do more than the yearly company party and the once in a blue moon townh all meeting. Have company hangouts, loosen the dress code on some occasions (e.g one week of the summer you can come in wearing shorts and slippers or during the summer you can wear shorts), etc. 3. Recognize the work your employees do, and I mean do more than give the generic "we appreciate all the hard work you do for us here at davids bridal" or something to that effect. If the server team pulls off a hard project, call them out by name and thank them. Give them the day off for pulling this off. Yea its their job but that recognition means a lot. Because when you take the time to recognize the work the employee does odds are you will recognize how much they contribute and that employee will be less likely to want to leave.

David's Bridal Response

Feb 8, 2016 – Sr Mgr Talent Acquisition

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us. We strive for a great work environment and to recognize and reward the contributions of our associates. We are sorry that your experience ... More

RSS Feed </> Embed