Davidson Hotels & Resorts Reviews | Glassdoor

3.4
Davidson Hotels & Resorts President and CEO John A. Belden
John A. Belden

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Great people, great benefits, opportunity to grow, move, and be challenged" (in 4 reviews)

• "Good benefits & great Managenent" (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • "Also work/life balance wasn't as great as other companies" (in 6 reviews)

• "Poor organization, low wages, long hours" (in 6 reviews)

1. "Davidson"

I have been working at Davidson Hotels & Resorts full-time

Pros

Great Benefits, Company its self cares for their employees, over all just a great company to work for.

Cons

Not many locations to transfer to just yet.

2. "Fantastic Company, Phenomenal Culture"

I have been working at Davidson Hotels & Resorts full-time

Pros

The culture at Davidson is beyond great. My team is an absolute joy to work with. They are truly like family.

Cons

Would appreciate more communication from senior leadership on where the company is growing, but they are getting better at this.

3. "No longer a leader in the industry"

I have been working at Davidson Hotels & Resorts full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Some great coworkers on team

Cons

Mediocre hotels in group
    Job insecurity
    Lack of diversity
    Leadership team has no work/life balance
    Old fashioned and lacking technology
    Bad reputation in industry

Advice to Management

The selling point of this company is how long people have been with the company as if it is a strength. It isn’t. People don’t leave because they are comfortable and not admired in the industry enough for other companies to want to steal people away. It’s been clear for some time that investors aren’t happy and most of the hotels in the group struggle. Might as well change the name to Pivot. Things are getting worse, not better.

Jun 25, 2018 – Director of Recruiting

I appreciate you taking the time to share your concerns on your employment at our hotel. We are very pleased that you feel that you had great co-workers on your team. I respectfully disagree with... More

4. "Loyal leaders could be supported more"

I worked at Davidson Hotels & Resorts full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

At least in our region they were wonderful with promoting from within and growing their leaders. Benefits and salary were good and competitive. Training was also great and processes were fairly clear. Hotels in our city had good communication and stuck together.

Cons

Witnessed them terminate loyal leaders fairly quickly at one property. Leaders who had been with the company 3-5 years were being dropped like flies. Perhaps it was the specific property but it's sad to see such great growth and then little support to keep those leaders on board. Also work/life balance wasn't as great as other companies.

Advice to Management

Obviously if an employee violates a major rule - termination is expected. If a seasoned leader is struggling in a role support and/or training would be wonderful or even looking for moving said employee. Loyalty to a company should be valued. Lastly required management hours seem to nickel and dime you on your time. Most hotels are 8-5, this company requires 8-5:30 which can make work/life balance just slightly harder to achieve. Seems like a small detail but it makes a huge difference to some.

May 14, 2018 – Director of Recruiting

Thank you so much for adding your comments to our Glassdoor page. I agree with all the “pros” you mentioned! We are a company that strives to fill open positions from within – and I am so happy... More

5. "Company unsure future; trust is a concern from Corporate Offixe"

Former Employee - Manager
    Former Employee - Manager

I worked at Davidson Hotels & Resorts full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Nice people at hotels. There is a ton of very talented people. If you have an opportunity to recruit them do it!

Cons

I have watched very good people be dismissed for no reason. The company has changed since change in COO. Profit and real estate driven focus. Not service excellence as they state to the public. New COO has not operated so Leadership is from the top down.

Advice to Management

If you are a Manager be very concerned with your career path and stability with Davidson. They will work you for results and demand more. They have no growth for leaders, no career pathing process and unless you are VERY good at politics then do not speak your mind.

Apr 30, 2018 – Director of Recruiting

Thank you for sharing your comment on Glass Door. I appreciate that you have observed our hotels are filled with talented people. I am in charge of human resources and I can assure you that team... More

6. "Accounting"

Current Employee - Controller
    Current Employee - Controller

I have been working at Davidson Hotels & Resorts full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good benefits. Support staff for most disciplines

Cons

Health insurance company/benefits are confusing

Oct 31, 2017 – Director of Recruiting

Thank you for your comment! I am sorry that benefits are confusing. They are not supposed to be!! Please contact your on-property Human Resources Director for clarity. Or feel free to call me... More

"Director of Catering"

Former Employee - Director of Catering
    Former Employee - Director of Catering

I worked at Davidson Hotels & Resorts full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great people, great benefits, opportunity to grow, move, and be challenged. Professional environment and even though it's a large company, it was small enough to make you feel a part of the corporate/headquarter team/work family. I would definitely recommend this company to anyone in search of a position in the hospitality industry. I was always very happy working here.

Cons

Sometimes, it felt like the company was more interested in getting the clients money above providing good service to the client. Would have preferred the company focused on providing good service and taking care of the guests which would be followed by getting even more money because people want and are willing to pay for good service.

Advice to Management

Let the sales teams focus on taking care of the clients/guests that want to book and that have booked instead of requiring an outrageous number of prospecting calls to people/companies that have no need or desire to book. Mandatory sales calls to uninterested parties take up too much valuable time that could and should be spent on "real" clients.

Sep 27, 2017 – Director of Recruiting

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your thoughts on Glassdoor. I am so happy to see your “pros” and your recommendation! Please know I followed up with our F&B group on the information... More

"Hotel Management Company not tuned into doing business in 2017"

I worked at Davidson Hotels & Resorts full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

They have a diverse portfolio of hotel brands, their investors make necessary cosmetic changes to the properties

Cons

Still using paper files, antiquated business practices, continual strategy changes, lack of diversity, bonus plan is outdated and not competitive with other hotel management companies (you literally get a paper star when you achieve your monthly goals)

Advice to Management

Do some research on how to motivate your employees in a way relevant to them.
    Jump on board with electronic files. Its environmentally friendly and more secure. There are not enough hotels within one market to give employees a chance to grow without moving.

Sep 29, 2017 – Director of Recruiting

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience with our company. I am sorry your experience did not leave a more positive impression! I will say all of our sales and catering... More

9. "Davidson Hotels Have Employees in Mind"

Current Employee - Sales Coordinator in Key Largo, FL
    Current Employee - Sales Coordinator in Key Largo, FL

I have been working at Davidson Hotels & Resorts full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Davidson hotels offer competitive salaries. Paid time off is more than fair and up 40 hours are allowed to be rolled over on anniversary dates. Employee luncheons and activities are held on a regular basis. Human Resources make employees feel comfortable to talk about issues they may be having in order to get them resolved. The company is also very invested in making sure employees are in the correct role. This allows for promotion and transfer opportunities.

Cons

The amount of doctors available with the healthcare plans is limited. Work-life balance is not prioritized for managers. There is an expectation that work needs to be done even when not in the office.

Advice to Management

keep salaries competitive. Expand the amount of doctors available in the healthcare plans. Emphasize more of a work-life balance for management.

Aug 19, 2017 – Director of Recruiting

Thank you so much for your posting on glassdoor. We are so appreciative of the accolades you express in the “pro’s” section. These are benefits we focus on and it is our goal to meet the needs of... More

10. "A company that is invested in their team members"

Current Employee - Director of Sales & Marketing in Gatlinburg, TN
    Current Employee - Director of Sales & Marketing in Gatlinburg, TN

Pros

Davidson offers a great benefit package and their employees are a priority. There are many opportunities to grow your career.

Cons

Labor workforce for the industry struggles as there are never enough team members to fill the many positions in a hotel....this is not related to the company specifically it's just a part of the industry.

Advice to Management

Just continue with the steady support and open communication with the team at the property level....it is very appreciated.