Davidson Hotels & Resorts Reviews | Glassdoor

3.4
Davidson Hotels & Resorts President and CEO John A. Belden
John A. Belden

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Davidson has good benifits, this company cares and ensures that all team members are taken care of (in 8 reviews)

• Long term employees, positive work environment (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Always open never closed, hence no work / life balance (in 4 reviews)

• Poor organization, low wages, long hours (in 6 reviews)

1. "Accounting"

Current Employee - Controller
    Current Employee - Controller

I have been working at Davidson Hotels & Resorts full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good benefits. Support staff for most disciplines

Cons

Health insurance company/benefits are confusing

Oct 31, 2017 – Director of Recruiting

Thank you for your comment! I am sorry that benefits are confusing. They are not supposed to be!! Please contact your on-property Human Resources Director for clarity. Or feel free to call me... More

"Director of Catering"

Former Employee - Director of Catering
    Former Employee - Director of Catering

I worked at Davidson Hotels & Resorts full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great people, great benefits, opportunity to grow, move, and be challenged. Professional environment and even though it's a large company, it was small enough to make you feel a part of the corporate/headquarter team/work family. I would definitely recommend this company to anyone in search of a position in the hospitality industry. I was always very happy working here.

Cons

Sometimes, it felt like the company was more interested in getting the clients money above providing good service to the client. Would have preferred the company focused on providing good service and taking care of the guests which would be followed by getting even more money because people want and are willing to pay for good service.

Advice to Management

Let the sales teams focus on taking care of the clients/guests that want to book and that have booked instead of requiring an outrageous number of prospecting calls to people/companies that have no need or desire to book. Mandatory sales calls to uninterested parties take up too much valuable time that could and should be spent on "real" clients.

Sep 27, 2017 – Director of Recruiting

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your thoughts on Glassdoor. I am so happy to see your “pros” and your recommendation! Please know I followed up with our F&B group on the information... More

3. "Hotel Management Company not tuned into doing business in 2017"

I worked at Davidson Hotels & Resorts full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

They have a diverse portfolio of hotel brands, their investors make necessary cosmetic changes to the properties

Cons

Still using paper files, antiquated business practices, continual strategy changes, lack of diversity, bonus plan is outdated and not competitive with other hotel management companies (you literally get a paper star when you achieve your monthly goals)

Advice to Management

Do some research on how to motivate your employees in a way relevant to them.
    Jump on board with electronic files. Its environmentally friendly and more secure. There are not enough hotels within one market to give employees a chance to grow without moving.

Sep 29, 2017 – Director of Recruiting

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience with our company. I am sorry your experience did not leave a more positive impression! I will say all of our sales and catering... More

4. "Davidson Hotels Have Employees in Mind"

Current Employee - Sales Coordinator in Key Largo, FL
    Current Employee - Sales Coordinator in Key Largo, FL

I have been working at Davidson Hotels & Resorts full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Davidson hotels offer competitive salaries. Paid time off is more than fair and up 40 hours are allowed to be rolled over on anniversary dates. Employee luncheons and activities are held on a regular basis. Human Resources make employees feel comfortable to talk about issues they may be having in order to get them resolved. The company is also very invested in making sure employees are in the correct role. This allows for promotion and transfer opportunities.

Cons

The amount of doctors available with the healthcare plans is limited. Work-life balance is not prioritized for managers. There is an expectation that work needs to be done even when not in the office.

Advice to Management

keep salaries competitive. Expand the amount of doctors available in the healthcare plans. Emphasize more of a work-life balance for management.

Aug 19, 2017 – Director of Recruiting

Thank you so much for your posting on glassdoor. We are so appreciative of the accolades you express in the “pro’s” section. These are benefits we focus on and it is our goal to meet the needs of... More

5. "A company that is invested in their team members"

Current Employee - Director of Sales & Marketing in Gatlinburg, TN
    Current Employee - Director of Sales & Marketing in Gatlinburg, TN

Pros

Davidson offers a great benefit package and their employees are a priority. There are many opportunities to grow your career.

Cons

Labor workforce for the industry struggles as there are never enough team members to fill the many positions in a hotel....this is not related to the company specifically it's just a part of the industry.

Advice to Management

Just continue with the steady support and open communication with the team at the property level....it is very appreciated.

6. "Similar issues as other reviews"

I worked at Davidson Hotels & Resorts full-time

Pros

Health Benefits/401K/Standard Vacation Holiday etc
    Some support but not from anyone in a position to make any change.

Cons

- Employee turnover higher then seen at previous hotels
     - Due to this employees in all areas are spread extremely thin
     - Lack of training, thrown in and expected to cover and teach what was never taught. No one has time from the bottom up it appears to actually create structure. All SOPs seem as though they have not been rewritten since the early 80's.
     - Lack of professionalism from the top down. Employees follow the examples set by those in positions of leadership.

Advice to Management

I know no one wants to hear this in business - but - slow down on growth and work on the internal structure of the properties already up and running. Or at least pay equal attention to the two. Stretching management so thin can lead to negative behaviors in leadership which trickles down and is seen by all.

Aug 24, 2017 – Director of Recruiting

I appreciate you taking the time to share your concerns on your employment at our hotel. I am sorry your experience was unacceptable. I respectfully disagree with your observations regarding... More

7. "Great location!"

I worked at Davidson Hotels & Resorts full-time

Pros

Fast paced, challenging, great opportunity to learn and grow.

Cons

If you are the type of person who takes things personally, it might not be the ideal place for you.

Advice to Management

Although there is a great culture implemented, people still feel like a label. More genuine interest towards the staff will go a long way.

8. "Okay"

I have been working at Davidson Hotels & Resorts full-time

Pros

Can move up pretty quickly
    Depending on how you supervise; you can have a fun team.

Cons

Long hours so no life outside of work
    Asks for more of you than you get paid
    GM doesn't care about employees just wants to make money
    Managers take credit for your hard work and dedication
    Extremely high turnover rate

Aug 10, 2017 – Director of Recruiting

“Thank you so much for your candor! I am so sorry that your experience at your hotel has not been optimal. I do not believe this is the “norm” at our hotels. Our average hotel turnover rate is in... More

"Valuable Experience, Hard Work, Ability to Learn, Fantastic Culture, Consistently Challenged"

Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Davidson Hotels & Resorts full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

When I was on the job search and asked people in the industry about Davidson I got a common response, "Davidson is a class company with great senior leadership." In my time at Davidson I have been blown away. I am consistently challenged and forced to think for myself to solve problems. The company culture is made up of hard work, delivering quality service, and possessing genuine care for co workers, clients, and guests. The review title sums up my experience at Davidson thus far and those traits are something I value tremendously.

Cons

The lean team can sometimes lead to feeling overwhelmed. But, you can ask for help and getting hands on experience is fantastic.

10. "Like a family..."

I have been working at Davidson Hotels & Resorts part-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great company culture and work environment. The team members at Davidson from all levels are approachable. There is a true sense of camaraderie. We work hard but with purpose. I can honestly say I enjoy coming to work every day.

Cons

I can not think of any cons.

Advice to Management

Thank you for all that you do!