Davidson Hotels & Resorts Reviews | Glassdoor

3.5
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Davidson Hotels & Resorts President and CEO John A. Belden
John A. Belden

Pros
  • Davidson has good benifits, this company cares and ensures that all team members are taken care of (in 8 reviews)

• Long term employees, positive work environment (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Then you are held accountable for things that you may or may not know based on convienance of upper management (in 6 reviews)

• Poor organization, low wages, long hours (in 5 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Great Place to Work!!!"

Current Employee - Director of Rooms in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Director of Rooms in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Davidson Hotels & Resorts full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fantastic culture. Team member satisfaction is #1. Great alignment with any brand. Not black and white, they truly see a lens full of color. After seeing and other brand and management companies operate in the hotel business I would describe the every day OP as fun. I run to work everyday, don't get me wrong I love my family. If you are looking for a fast paced, always changing, and exciting opportunity come on in.

Cons

With the opportunity to be challenged everyday, the opportunity to grow in you role, I can't find a con. As is any career it is what you make it, but these folks are fun to WIN with

Advice to Management

Keep it up. The focus on welcoming and growing your team members is what makes the business successful. I work for Hyatt Hotels and Resorts for 10 years and the closeness to ownership and access to capital improvements has been a huge gain. I love working for Davidson.

2. "clerk"

Pros

Really good pay for a part time job

Cons

not much of direction in this company

3. "Valuable Experience, Hard Work, Ability to Learn, Fantastic Culture, Consistently Challenged"

Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Davidson Hotels & Resorts full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

When I was on the job search and asked people in the industry about Davidson I got a common response, "Davidson is a class company with great senior leadership." In my time at Davidson I have been blown away. I am consistently challenged and forced to think for myself to solve problems. The company culture is made up of hard work, delivering quality service, and possessing genuine care for co workers, clients, and guests. The review title sums up my experience at Davidson thus far and those traits are something I value tremendously.

Cons

The lean team can sometimes lead to feeling overwhelmed. But, you can ask for help and getting hands on experience is fantastic.

5. "Like a family..."

I have been working at Davidson Hotels & Resorts part-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great company culture and work environment. The team members at Davidson from all levels are approachable. There is a true sense of camaraderie. We work hard but with purpose. I can honestly say I enjoy coming to work every day.

Cons

I can not think of any cons.

Advice to Management

Thank you for all that you do!

"What a shame....."

I worked at Davidson Hotels & Resorts full-time

Pros

Good quality of life, work some weekends, flexible schedule.

Cons

This looks like a great company looking from the outside in. The company feels inviting and has many tenured long time employees but it is all who you know. No training at all, I mean nothing, you are literally thrown in the fire with no support and expected to read 400 pages of training documents left on your desk with no explanation, just figure it out. Then you are held accountable for things that you may or may not know based on convienance of upper management. If they like you and you keep your mouth shut and kiss up to the boss then you will have a great career here even if you are terrible at your job. If you have any opinion or you are upset and open you mouth, upper management goes 0 to 100 fast and wants you gone. You can be director of the year and your team can be the best in the whole hotel and well liked amongst the rest of the team but don't speak your mind if you don't want to lose your job, upper management stabs you in the back. One minute you recieve Christmas cards that say I love you from your boss and emails to corporate that you are the leader this hotel is looking for and still get fired just by letting your boss know about how bad the hotel and team really is. Then the lies begin and you become a problem and stories are made up to get you out the door because upper management can't handle the truth that they failed you from the start and just wants you to go away without an exit interview, without your side of the story being told. I believe Davidson is a good company, I saw many folks from other hotels who are happy with great stories to tell about how wonderful this company is. My rating of 1 which should be 0 is for the hotel I left not for the company. I just don't understand how you can be loved one minute and then wanted out the door the for speaking your mind. If you are the boss and you want to be respected as one do not raise your voice first, don't act delusional like everything is perfect, and just listen, especially when one of your valued employees is having a hard time in life. Be a human and dont lie and make up stories to eliminate someone you once thought was great because you are delusional about your hotel and it's employees performance. Do not invent reasons to fire someone because of making emotional decisions not business decisions.

Advice to Management

Really know who you put in charge. The smiles and being perfect all the time is not real and is a false image based on insecurity. Put people in charge that know all aspects of the hotel business who make business decisions not emotional. Do surprise Audits, stop letting hotels know when you come. The upper management just puts on a show and runs around creating lies and creating false stories to tell when corporate or the auditors show up and pencil whipping and falsely creating documents to scam you into believing that the hotel is operating at a high level. If you see you have a management turnover issue at a hotel just know eventually it can not continue to be the manager who leaves, the boss must be held accountable for his or her actions. Corporate HR can not just listen to the bosses side of the story and form an opinion based on emotional statements that are flipped around to sound like whatever the boss wants it too. There is always two sides to a story, investigate your problems.

Davidson Hotels & Resorts Response

Mar 21, 2017 – Director of Recruiting

Dear Sir/Madam: Let me first thank you for your candor. Obviously you have great passion for your work and I am sorry that your experience with our Company did not meet your expectations. We are a ... More

7. "Top Notch Company"

Former Employee - Executive Chef in Miami, FL
    Former Employee - Executive Chef in Miami, FL

I worked at Davidson Hotels & Resorts full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

At Davidson Hotels and Resorts, they recruit, train and equip Leaders to be Leaders!
    They promote from within when its possible. They concentrate not only on the customer, but also the team member and whats best overall. They understand the Value of creating momentum instead of micro-management. Their corporate VP's and Division Heads are truly the Best in the Business. My last General Manager was the absolute epitome of a balanced professional, a true leader.

Cons

I really cannot list any cons

Advice to Management

Continue to grow your company in the same fashion that has made Davidson the Family that it is.

8. "Great Company"

Former Employee - Director in South Saint Paul, MN
    Former Employee - Director in South Saint Paul, MN

I worked at Davidson Hotels & Resorts (More than a year)

Pros

They truly let you work and do not micro-manage you from afar.

Cons

As a management company; I didn't have any challenges with them. Bonuses could have been better.

"Lack of control"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Iowa City, IA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Iowa City, IA

I worked at Davidson Hotels & Resorts full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great people
    Complementary or discounted parking
    Willing to work with you to accommodate your schedule
    Discounted programs
    PTO and Sick days
    401K

Cons

Very expensive insurance
    They offer PTO based on hours worked and provide 3 sick days a year, however, rates per hour are ridiculous. It used to be much better. They didn't have sick days but per hour PTO rate was very generous

Advice to Management

Please be more invested in people that your hire. you have a talent to locate and recruit amazing people, but because you are not willing to invest time and energy into them, they leave pretty quickly

"Salaried employee"

I worked at Davidson Hotels & Resorts full-time

Pros

Smaller Company. Room for growth.

Cons

Bad communication. A lot of manual admin systems. Not strong in resources

Advice to Management

Needs to strengthen company communication and bench positions

"Sales"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Memphis, TN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Memphis, TN

I have been working at Davidson Hotels & Resorts full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Stated Values; focus on profits; rewarding loyal employees; promotes from within

Cons

Lack of community commitment by property; communication within and between departments; not enough administrative support staff

Advice to Management

more administrative support staff in accounting, events and sales