Davis Advertising Reviews | Glassdoor

Davis Advertising Reviews

Updated November 21, 2017

Andrew Davis

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "August 2016 - October 2017"

Former Employee - Digital Marketing Specialist/Analyst in Worcester, MA
    Former Employee - Digital Marketing Specialist/Analyst in Worcester, MA

I worked at Davis Advertising full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Extremely laid back atmosphere, flexible work schedule, no dress code unless you were client-facing, decent pay, very rarely had to work long hours, and received plenty of free stuff (food, event tickets, gift cards, etc). People there are friendly enough and it's definitely a great place to get experience, experiment with different marketing initiatives, and learn more about client-agency dynamics. The Director of Digital Strategy, is a great guy and an excellent manager. I personally had a very good experience working for Davis. If you're a young professional that needs experience or a family person that needs flexibility, then Davis is an excellent choice.

Cons

The laid back atmosphere is a double-edge: if you're a disciplined self-starter like me, then it isn't a problem. If you're the type that needs a lot of supervision, then it's not the place to work. The pay is decent although it's low when compared to similar jobs - but you do make up for it with the flexibility and liberty. It can be a place where careers go to die because it's easy to become complacent and comfortable. Growth opportunities appear to be limited as well, which is why I left. Like any business, it has plenty of room for improvement. But overall, it's a great company and I'm very thankful to have had the opportunity to work for Davis. I would certainly work there again.

Advice to Management

I'd say don't be afraid to draw clear boundaries between the client and the agency. All too often it seemed like we were "Yes men" - we'd over-promise and go out of scope and out of budget with our work - because we were too afraid to say "No" to a client. I know the company is going through a period of adaptation, but I'm confident that it's moving in the right direction. The company has no other choice but to adapt.

2. "Account Executive"

I worked at Davis Advertising full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

a nice relaxed work environment

Cons

concerns on management styles and feedback

3. "Not impressed"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in East Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in East Boston, MA

I have been working at Davis Advertising full-time

Pros

A job is a job and it's a job but that's about it.

Cons

The comments about management being awful are on point. Horrible morale. Not a creative or fulfilling place to work.

Advice to Management

I agree with the commenter who said to get sell the company. Lost cause.

4. "Davis Advertising - SEO/IT Internship"

Former Intern - SEO/IT in Worcester, MA
    Former Intern - SEO/IT in Worcester, MA

I worked at Davis Advertising as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Davis Advertising had a great training system to teach me some advanced SEO tactics. Everyday in the office was learning some new tips/tricks of the trade. Friendly work environment, really felt like a team, even when people were assigned on different tasks.

Cons

Some employees were focused very much on their objectives and maybe could have seen the bigger picture more.

Advice to Management

Keep pushing on new age advertising, provide more digital feedback to the non-dashboard clients.

5. "Marketing and advertising on a family schedule."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Worcester, MA

I have been working at Davis Advertising full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexibility matters to me. I like the idea of being home when my kid is awake. After leaving a high pressure sales position, where 60 hours a week were the minimum, I never believed that I'd find a job in marketing that allowed me to work the traditional 9-5. The idea of communiting all the way to Boston, and adding that commute time in, made even an 8 hour day into at least a 12 hour day, and with a young family, that's just not an option for the lifestyle I wanted to lead. Therefore, Davis was a perfect fit. I am able to voice my opinion to management, and be heard. I have a work environment that can't be beat. And I'm able to put my life, and my family, first. The quality of life that I have from working at Davis is, in my 25 years of working, the best so far.

Cons

You take a bit of a hometown discount. Although we compete with Boston as far as our output, we don't price our services that way, which means we can't pay the way the big Boston agencies do. If at the end of the day, the number on your paycheck is what determines the value of the job, then Davis might not be for you, since you're missing out on the savings in both money and time (which is worth more to me than money).

Advice to Management

Liven up the place. The building looks like an accounting firm.

"Worst management ever"

Pros

It is one of the largest agencies in the area and you will gain a lot of experience. It's a good learning ground for sure. The people are really nice and there's definitely a family atmosphere. People really stick together there. If you're driven you can learn lots of different types of things.

Cons

The company has always been somewhat old-fashioned and behind the times. Additionally, there does not seem to be any understanding as to how an agency actually works. Titles have always been way off, and not translatable to other companies without a good deal of explanation. The worst part about this company is the management. It's all over the place and not even remotely professional. I've seen some people treated beyond poorly and I've seen some things happen there that shock me to this day. Overall a very unprofessional place to work.

Advice to Management

Get some education, remember it's not 1980. Let others help you when it needed. Try not to do too much and over promise. Pick a direction for the company and stick with it. It's unrealistic to think you can do everything.
    Get your HR in order before you get yourself sued.

7. "Terrible Company"

Former Employee - Account Coordinator in Worcester, MA
    Former Employee - Account Coordinator in Worcester, MA

I worked at Davis Advertising full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You don't have to work the long hours typically associated with advertising. There used to be some incredibly talented people working there, however, they are long gone.

Cons

Very outdated. Horrible and sketchy management. Terrible pay. Cannot keep clients because of the lack of forward-thinking, creative thought out of the account management side. The few talented people sucked in are taken advantage of and quickly leave. Not a respected agency and not deserving of respect. Beware, beware, beware.

Advice to Management

Sell the company to someone who knows what they are doing.

Davis Advertising Response

Oct 7, 2014 – President

As a company that was chosen as the Best Ad Agency in WBJ annual poll and in the top 20 in the BBJ annual poll our success has been predicated on our ability to stay on the cutting edge of... More

8. "Great People, Great Environment"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Worcester, MA

I have been working at Davis Advertising full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Davis Advertising is great for a number of reasons. The people are warm and down to earth. The variety of talent in the various departments makes every day interesting. The flexibility is amazing and like none other I've experienced in a company. Finally, Davis is extremely family oriented... another major plus.

Cons

I wish we did more team events. Although it's more convenient for customers to get to our new location.. and the parking is better, my personal commute has gotten longer.

Advice to Management

I'm happy to see how much the company has improved over the past few years. I keep seeing better things ahead. Keep up the good work! This company has an exciting future.

"Cut your teeth in advertising, and then move on."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Worcester, MA

Pros

Great people; work hard, play hard atmosphere; diverse client base allowing employees the opportunity to gain experience in a wide array of industries.

Cons

The company feels like it is stuck in the 1970s. While most employees of the company are comfortable in traditional advertising methods, just the opposite can be said about "New Media." The amount of stress put on those who do understand it is unnecessary and visibly taking its toll.

Advice to Management

Consider soliciting for employee feedback once in a while. While a cash bonus at the end of the year is nice, a thank you for a job well done would go a long way too. More pressure should be put on account personnel to keep up with the times.

"Get a start in Advertising, then move on."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Worcester, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Worcester, MA

Pros

If you're fresh out of college and want to get your footings in Advertising, this could be a good place to start. You'll learn the ropes from seasoned executives and designers. The company culture is laid-back, with a "work hard, play hard" mantra. Overall there's a sense of camaraderie among the employees, as a fair amount of them have been there 5-10+ years.

Cons

Employees tend to stay, but beware that you don't get stuck in your career. This is not a place where you'll work on anything cutting edge, but if you're a young, original, fresh mind who plays well with others, you could find a welcome niche.

Advice to Management

Management should invest more to train employees to keep skills sharper and more current. Hire more fresh minds. Embrace change. Take management classes to upgrade skills in interpersonal relations and keep morale high.