Davis Food Co-op Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Stacie Frerichs

1. "Finally! Change."

I have been working at Davis Food Co-op full-time

Pros

Progressive, thoughtful & fun. After a lot of turmoil over the past few years and a track record of pitiful treatment of employees it feels like the co-op is on a good path. New leadership should continue to invest in the employees.

Cons

Lots of new managers who don't really know what's going on. A few long-time managers still don't get it but hopefully they'll move on when they realize their ineffectual "leadership" won't cut it.

Advice to Management

Invest in people. Train them. Pay them. Have fun.

2. "It was like a family."

Pros

Room for growth and family atmosphere

Cons

Bosses were inconsistent and work could be trying.

3. "Lacks a strong leader"

I have been working at Davis Food Co-op full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Community oriented. Pays a living wage + benefits!

Cons

There is no general manager and the store is suffering because of it. The board is confused and whiny people are pandered to.

Advice to Management

Hire a general manager!

5. "Awesome"

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

Pros

Great place to work if you want to support local. Alot of people complain about low pay, but must realize this is not a corporation.

Cons

I have nothing bad to say.

6. "Relaxed and Hard Working Environment"

I worked at Davis Food Co-op full-time

Pros

GREAT people
    Delicious food (that is oftentimes free) :)
    Flexible schedules
    Easy going atmosphere

Cons

Some people were dissatisfied with the "back office" I didn't have any issues it was just a complaint I heard

Advice to Management

I worked in Wellness department it was great!

"Pay your workers a living wage!"

Current Employee - Clerk II in Davis, CA
    Current Employee - Clerk II in Davis, CA

I have been working at Davis Food Co-op full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Places lots of money back into the community, cooperative values, teaching kitchen, local food options, volunteer opportunities, clubs and group meetings.

Cons

Reactionary buying and labor cuts, poor management, lazy and uninspired staff, very low pay, little room for advancement, no raises or bonuses, limited staff training.

Advice to Management

Please be a responsible business and pay your workers a living wage. The coop is loosing valuable staff members and will loose plenty more if it doesn't act fast to improve the quality of life for its workers. People need raises and incentives!

8. "Exhausting, stressful, not worth the salary."

I have been working at Davis Food Co-op full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Excellent coworkers; everyone meshes well and does what needs to be done. The benefits are very good - health, dental, vision and life insurance are all included (after 90 days). The store isn't very large and once you've worked the aisles a bit you'll know where everything goes.

Cons

Some of the most unprofessional management I've ever seen. Scheduling is very inconsistent; you may have your entire schedule rearranged a day before the next workweek begins. Vacation days are never guaranteed, and are rarely given out at all. There is an indefinite freeze on all raises right now with no end in sight. It seems we are constantly being threatened to have our hours cut to "help the labor budget" and yet we are struggling to make ends meet with the meager staff that we have.

Advice to Management

Increase salaries as soon as possible. Allow the possibility of raises and promotions. Stop penny-pinching the labor budget when it's already so small. Happy employees means a better business.

"Great store with lots of potential, but top heavy with ineffective management!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Davis, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Davis, CA

I worked at Davis Food Co-op part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The people you will work with- not under- are smart, creative, caring people who treat each other like family. The food and products you will make or sell are worth believing in, tasty, ethical, local, and unique! The Davis co-op has been around for 40 years, and I don't think it's going anywhere. It's well supported by the community and has a good vibe.

Cons

You will not get paid a living wage. The management is paid three to four times more than the entry level positions. Management makes poor and hasty decisions regarding hiring/firing, hours, budgets, etc. The schedules are erratic and rarely full-time. The job is treated like a temp. student job, and you will not be supported in making this your career- no matter how capable or willing you are.

Advice to Management

Take a pay cut if that's the only way to raise the entry level salaries! You are unable to retain quality employees with the current salary and schedule set up. Stop trying to be or beat Whole Foods and embrace what is unique and special about the Co-op.

10. "This was a hard-working and friendly atmosphere. The Co-op really cares about its employees!"

Former Employee - Baker in Davis, CA
    Former Employee - Baker in Davis, CA

I worked at Davis Food Co-op full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Helping people live and eat healthily with local, organic, and conventional foods and products, The Co-op is involved in lots of community events and programs; it gives back to the community, and it's rewarding to be a part of that. Extensive Safety Training program. Food and products that aren't in top condition are free or discounted for employees.

Cons

I honestly can't say anything negative that really has to do with the company. Any cons were personal and can be applied anywhere. For example, there's almost always going to be someone in your workplace who you don't get along with or who you find annoying, but these things blow over.

Advice to Management

Ask employees for suggestions/make departmental suggestion boxes.

"The Coop should be worried..."

Current Employee - Clerk I in Davis, CA

I have been working at Davis Food Co-op full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Staff is very friendly. Consumer conscious business model with good customer service training. Safe working environment.

Cons

Job does not pay well for newcomers, including newcomers with years of experience. Long time managers and administration officers get the bulk of the wages. Business is cutting benefits as much as they can, including an indefinite freeze on all raises. Managers need to learn about workers rights and respect them. Rules are heavily enforced in some areas while managers can break them without question. Little to no room for promotion. Frivolous spending on store improvements

Advice to Management

It's important to remember who runs your store every day. Without happy employees you will not succeed. Be the "conscious" business you set out to be. Pay all employees a LIVING WAGE, period.