Davis Wright Tremaine Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Great Place to Work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Davis Wright Tremaine full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Our firm is committed to providing exceptional customer service, diversity, and innovation. Healthcare/Vision/Childcare benefits are competitive, transportation subsidy, generous PTO/Sick time, supportive management, opportunities to move/advance within the firm, friendly and exceptionally bright attorneys, subsidized café, and many staff appreciation events such as mixers, first Friday breakfasts. On site massage therapists and fitness center, yoga, wellness, cooking classes, and many other employee perks.

Cons

You must thrive in a fast paced environment and be flexible to constant change. Parking in our Seattle office is costly, but there is an early bird special. Traffic can be a pain to navigate during rush hour, game days, and should there be a protest in the area, and workload may change constantly due to department needs.

Advice to Management

Continue to encourage employee growth, and provide constructive feedback during reviews.

2. "Incredible Attorneys"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Davis Wright Tremaine (More than 3 years)

Pros

Incredible attorneys and management at the top.

Cons

Poor local management. Often difficult to get things done since everything rolls down from headquarters to local level. Poor salary's.

Advice to Management

Listen closer to the support staff on what is really going on and do not take local management at face value. Pay attention to lagging salaries.

3. "Be extremely careful with this firm. Beautiful on the outside, ugly on the inside."

I worked at Davis Wright Tremaine full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Very supportive co-workers and some attorneys are really knowledgeable and a pleasure to work with.

Cons

As a legal professional for over 15 years, I know how to conduct myself in small, medium and large firms. I've worked for both private sector and government agencies. I've worked in several different areas of law for both partners and associates alike. While this firm may have rave reviews, there is definitely more than meets the eye. In certain offices, partners reign supreme. Most of the reviews you'll see here are from tenured assistants or lawyers who have been with the firm for 20 to 30 plus years or from its origination. My prospective is from a new employee ideal. Probationary period is used as a meter test and if certain partners have had tenured assistants retire on them, they do not take the time or effort to train or give anyone new an opportunity. So for the tenured legal professional BEWARE. For the new legal professional, it may a very good short term opportunity for you to learn about big law. But for someone who is looking to make a career here, this won't be the place for you.

Advice to Management

Allow new employees an opportunity to mold relationships with the people they are assigned to and ample time to learn the position before firing them for no cause or a completely BS cause. And if the position they were hired for doesn't work, allow them to be transferred or time to improve. Playing Russian roulette with people's livelihood is just destructive and bad business all around.

4. "Love love this place!"

Former Employee - Legal Secretary in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Legal Secretary in Seattle, WA

I worked at Davis Wright Tremaine full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

DWT is very friendly and welcoming. A large group of employees have been around 20 years or more. Great benefits. All around good experience that nothing has compared to since. I actually left in 2002 but Glassdoor didn't let me go back that far.

Cons

The only con would be a job is a job. But if you want to build lasting friendships and feel a sense of belonging, this is the place.

5. "Labor department"

Current Employee - Legal Secretary in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Legal Secretary in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Davis Wright Tremaine full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Kind, respectful, genuine staff and attorneys; good salary.

Cons

Reduction in health cost by taking blood test at work. Seriously. Not knowledgeable in L&E lit. Or aids law either! I bled on the conference room table after nurse stuck me twice. Molecular airborne diseases are common folks!

Advice to Management

See above.

6. "Great people, hard work"

I have been working at Davis Wright Tremaine full-time

Pros

The people are the best part of the job.

Cons

Hours can be unpredictable and long

Advice to Management

Listen to your associates when they tell you they are at capacity.

7. "Legal Secretary"

Current Employee - Legal Secretary in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Legal Secretary in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Davis Wright Tremaine full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Excellent management, training and culture. There is a definite caliber of professionalism expected and returned to you as an employee.

Cons

Leave time accrued cannot be used until 90 days.

8. "Best culture at a big firm"

Current Employee - Associate in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Associate in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Davis Wright Tremaine full-time (More than a year)

Pros

People treat you like an adult. You manage your own time and do the type of work you want to do. 1800 billable hour requirement is doable (but still no cake walk). Very open and transparent culture.

Cons

It's still a law firm. Politics and non-billable hours are time sucks. But people are generally friendly and approachable.

Advice to Management

Don't change for the sake of change. Making financials less clear to associates and staff will make DWT too similar to other firms.

9. "A Great Place to Work!"

Current Employee - Legal Staff in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Legal Staff in Seattle, WA

Pros

Beautiful offices, helpful staff members, top-notch attorneys, café and gym in the building, great wellness program.

Cons

None that I can think of!

Advice to Management

None

10. "Records Coordinator"

Former Employee - Records Coordinator in Brooklyn, NY
    Former Employee - Records Coordinator in Brooklyn, NY

I worked at Davis Wright Tremaine (More than a year)

Pros

Good pay rate Flexible work hours of choice

Cons

Did not have enough resources at first