Dawson Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.9
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Chris DeCapua

1. "Great Company- Great People"

Former Employee - Recruiter in Sunbury, OH
    Former Employee - Recruiter in Sunbury, OH

I worked at Dawson (More than 3 years)

Pros

Every company says their employees are their greatest asset but Dawson actually hires the best and brightest employees in the staffing industry and rewards them appropriately. They provide a fun (& sometimes crazy) culture with lots of perks like a top-notch free fitness center, free snacks and beverages throughout the day and they give their employees the training and tools to succeed. Experience isn't as important as a desire to help others and work hard to help their clients and candidates meet their objectives.

Cons

Their coffee is on a level with Speedway- but the chocolate chip cookies make up for it!

Advice to Management

The best ideas always come from the people doing the job- Listen to your people

"Great Experience at Dawson"

Former Employee - Division Manager in Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Division Manager in Columbus, OH

Pros

1. The People. Dawson attracts top talent from all walks of life for their corporate team. Have met some of the finest people during my 2+ years at Dawson--have made lifetime friends here.
    2. The Workplace. Dawson's corporate offices are unpretentious, fun, and functional. Throughout every week, the company is hosting client firms, charitable organizations, and intra-company events--always a flurry of activity around the corporate headquarters. If you like quiet solitude, this is not the environment for you.
    3. The Perks. The company provides employees with fitness programming (in-house fitness center, exercise classes, locker rooms/showers with towel service); the company sponsors wellness participation; a cafe with all kinds of snacks/soda fountain/coffee bar/etc. Lots of alternative workspaces to camp out and work from (lounge seating, patio, bistro tables) if you want to stretch out and take a respite from your workstation. Company bus to use for mobile job fairs, client events.
    4. The Culture: Upbeat tempo; positive environment. Management takes their jobs seriously but not themselves--a pragmatic, "can-do" and enthusiastic leadership team supported by the owners. I never stop learning from my co-workers from the day I started to the day I left--people always willing to pitch in and help whenever needed--very helpful as I was new to the staffing business. Unintimidating and comfortable.

Cons

Having colleagues periodically get hired away by client corporations--ironic that a recruiting firm is fertile ground for their own clients to seek out talent. Flip side is that you still get to work with them, just not in the same building.

Advice to Management

Stay the course.

"Great Culture, Positive People, 70 Years Strong!"

Current Employee - Professional Recruiter in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Professional Recruiter in Columbus, OH

Pros

Great culture, giving employees the opportunity to volunteer, take part in community events, and is very big on health and fitness! The office provides employees a very nice place to work and we are able to utilize all areas of the office (including an outdoor patio) so that we are not stuck at a desk all day. During my time here, I have been able to work with great clients, great people and management has been very positive and forward about business initiatives, goals and outlook. The work/life balance is definitely a pro as well!

Cons

A 401K with a match would be really nice and a very good incentive for in-house employees to come on board and stay w/ Dawson for the long-term. Retirement is such a stressful thought even to the average 20-year old, so the 401k is very important in a company.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work! When you take the time to get to know your employees and sit down and chat with them, it makes a world of a difference! Thanks for making Dawson a great place to work!

5. "I Loved My Time Here"

Former Employee - Receptionist, Clerk, Girl Friday in Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Receptionist, Clerk, Girl Friday in Columbus, OH

I worked at Dawson part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

As a young, first time mother, I managed to need time off for a sick child a few times. My employer terminated me. After much soul searching, I decided a temp agency was the way to go. I could work when I wanted/needed to and could say "no thanks" on the days I didn't have child care or was dealing with a sick baby. Over the years, my assignments changed, some were wonderful, some not so much... but I never had to worry about being fired because I was tending to a sick child. They were very flexible and understanding. For that, I will always be thankful! Temp jobs are not for everyone. There is a time and a place for them. I was fortunate that Dawson hired me when I needed it most and allowed me to be flexible with my placements.

Cons

Sometimes the locations of the assignments were across town. A few times, I felt it wasn't worth my time to drive that far for the assignment, but felt I owed it to them for allowing me to be so flexible. They did not guilt me into it though, I did that to myself.
    Pay was sometimes less than I would like, but again, I was never fired... so, I'm thankful for that, as it built my self esteem back up over the years.

Advice to Management

Please show your temps that they are valued and appreciated. Words are NOT enough! Actions speak louder than words!
    Please consider finding multiple ways to offer learning opportunities, OR at the very least, help make the connections for the temps to get some low cost training, attend seminars, retreats and basic essentials to help build their skills. A better trained temp is a better placement for you... and a win-win!

"Fun place to work!"

Current Employee - Floor Set Designer and Stylist in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Floor Set Designer and Stylist in Columbus, OH

I have been working at Dawson part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

creative environment, great people, flexible work schedule.

Cons

Lack of training can make getting started a little difficult.

Advice to Management

Training sessions may help employees be more independent and have a better understanding of work flow.

"a pleasant one"

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Columbus, OH

I have been working at Dawson full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It has been a pleasure working with the staff they try hard to keep you working. and I like the flexibility in the schedules and the types of jobs are good for getting experience.

Cons

need a permanent job through a company

Advice to Management

keep up the good work

"Tragic career move taking a job here"

Former Employee - Recruiter/Business Development in Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Recruiter/Business Development in Columbus, OH

Pros

The recruiters are young and outgoing, but have very little experience or knowledge of life outside of Dawson. The management has been there a very long time. The owners took over their Dad's company, which leaves them very hands off, letting the workers earn the dollar without help from above.

Cons

Management is democracy at it's finest here. If you arent an attractive female, need not apply. You will be expected to hammer out plenty of cold calls as management will review your talk time. Over promised and under delivered is their way of business, negative service in the IT department to customers. Much more reputable firms in Columbus other than Dawson, look for those.

Advice to Management

Get new managers, actually practice the changes you pretend to implement. Become more active with your hard working employees. Listen and actually BE the change you wish to see vs. pointing the fingers elsewhere. There is absolutely no accountability in management, which trickles down to staff.

"The one job I regret entirely."

Former Employee - Minion in Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Minion in Columbus, OH

Pros

Sirius Satelitte radio pumps through office. Hoshizaki ice machine on site.

Cons

The management is terribly out of touch with reality. The founder Facebook's all day long. The Director of IT is very agressive, very pushy and demeans his staff verbally. He micromanages to an uncomfortable level. He has a very limited professional background. He is also very loud and verbose. I would strongly recommend that any true professional avoid this company altogether.

Advice to Management

Stop treating people like dollar signs.

10. "Incredible culture."

Current Employee - Recruiter
    Current Employee - Recruiter

I have been working at Dawson full-time (More than a year)

Pros

1. The people are great (clients, co-workers, contractors)
    2. The opportunity for advancement
    3. Competitive but fun

Cons

1. Occasional long hour
    2. Corporate takes priority over other offices.

"Useless"

Pros

Honestly, not sure. If you're desperate, you can find something, I guess.

Cons

They assigned me to a job and then claimed the entire project was cancelled a few days before I was to show up.
    The website is very rarely updated --- most of the office work has been up for months and they don't seem to have a decent list of actual office positions, just some weird outbound loan call center or remote data entry in a warehouse where you work into 11pm.. I wish I hadn't wasted my time.