KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

Dayton Freight Reviews

Updated Sep 28, 2022

Found 316 of over 331 reviews

4.2
Dayton Freight President and CEO Thomas L. Cronin Jr.
Thomas L. Cronin Jr.

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
Cons
  • "Unfortunately, some of the terminal managers are lacking experience in the industry and pick and choose favorite drivers, regardless of safety.(in 5 reviews)
  • "formal training rather than learn as you go would be good improvement(in 4 reviews)
  • "Sometimes overall communication is lacking.(in 3 reviews)
  • "Some upper management are willing to put everything on those under them and are unwilling to adjust their lifestyle.(in 2 reviews)
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Dayton Freight and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?
  1. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year
    Featured Review

Amazing!!

May 3, 2022 - Management Trainee in Crest Hill, IL
    Business Outlook

Pros

Awesome way to begin a career with the Management Trainee program at Dayton. Awesome culture, great people, great experiences.

Cons

Depending on your position within the company, you can have some pretty wild hours at times.

2. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Great place to work

Sep 28, 2022 - Part Time Dock Worker
    Business Outlook

Pros

Short work days with great pay scale. Friendly coworkers and relaxed environment

Cons

Working in all temperatures. Not much advancement

3. 5.0

Part time first impressions

Sep 6, 2022 - Dockworker/Forklift Operator in Toledo, OH
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great pay and benefits Excellent Management

Cons

Schedule/ work life balance Fast paced

4. 5.0

Dayton Line Haul

Sep 5, 2022 - Line Haul Driver in Fort Wayne, IN
    Business Outlook

Pros

Treated Professionally. Good Atmosphere. Equipment in better shape than most.

Cons

There really are no cons if you are going to work in LTL

5. 4.0
    Former Employee

It's a job, not a family

Sep 16, 2022 - Truck Driver
    Business Outlook

Pros

It's a stable private owned company.

Cons

They like to say they are all about family. But the truth is, they are all about making money. There is nothing wrong with that, but please, don't blow smoke up my rear end. When your usefulness has run out they will discard you like garbage. It's just a job.

6. 4.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Decent company to work for

Sep 14, 2022 - Part Time Dock Worker
    Business Outlook

Pros

Positive work environment Over all positive management Decent pay scale

Cons

No benefits for part time Limited to under 28 hrs weekly Difficult to move from part time into full time position

7. 5.0
    Former Employee, more than 3 years

Active Enviorment.

Aug 22, 2022 - Forklift Operator in Greenwood, IN
    Business Outlook

Pros

An active environment where you can find a great job with a company that cares.

Cons

The dock can be very cold during the winter and warm layers will be needed.

8. 5.0

Great job, Great Coworkers

Aug 12, 2022 - Dock Worker
    Business Outlook

Pros

Very well put together operation things run very smoothly and everyone is quick to give you a hand if needed

Cons

Nothing that i can think of

9. 4.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Great company, difficult to get promoted

Aug 24, 2022 - Dock Worker
    Business Outlook

Pros

Pay is good, management is very well ran, equipment is in great condition unlike most dock jobs

Cons

It is extremely difficult to get promoted to full-time. There are multiple employees that have been with the company for 5+ years and still haven’t been promoted even though they are perfectly qualified.

10. 3.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Management sucks. Good ole’ boys mentality. But funny co-workers, they make it fun.

Aug 18, 2022 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

Good pay. Funny co workers. Not super strict.

Cons

Management sucks. Terminal Manager is terrible. Tells people they are going to be a driver in 6 months and doesn’t happen til 2 years later. No benefits for PT.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 316 Reviews

Dayton Freight Reviews FAQs

Dayton Freight has an overall rating of 4.2 out of 5, based on over 331 reviews left anonymously by employees. 85% of employees would recommend working at Dayton Freight to a friend and 81% have a positive outlook for the business. This rating has improved by 5% over the last 12 months.

According to anonymously submitted Glassdoor reviews, Dayton Freight employees rate their compensation and benefits as 3.9 out of 5. Find out more about salaries and benefits at Dayton Freight. This rating has improved by 1% over the last 12 months.

85% of Dayton Freight employees would recommend working there to a friend based on Glassdoor reviews. Employees also rated Dayton Freight 3.4 out of 5 for work life balance, 4.0 for culture and values and 3.6 for career opportunities.

According to reviews on Glassdoor, employees commonly mention the pros of working at Dayton Freight to be culture, management, benefits and the cons to be diversity and inclusion, career development.

Popular Careers with Dayton Freight Job Seekers

JobsSalariesInterviews

Work at Dayton Freight? Share Your Experiences

Dayton Freight Careers

Cover image for Dayton Freight

Dayton Freight offers shippers 1 or 2 day service to thousands of points throughout a 15 state area.More

• Careers
  • Mission Values
  • Our Culture

Reviews by Job Title

Company Updates

109 days ago

Careers
Our Corporate office is growing! As Dayton Freight has expanded, we are looking to strengthen our Corporate team. We are hosting In-Person Interviews Saturday, June 18 from 8 AM – 11 AM for a wide variety of positions and skill levels. Walk-ins are welcome with a resume or register by clicking “Apply now” Dayton Freight Corporate Office 6450 Poe Ave. 2nd Floor, Suite 216 Dayton OH 45414 OPEN POSITIONS (All positions In-Office): • Collections Analyst • Benefits/Leave Specialist • Transportation Coordinator-3rd Shift • Tax Accountant • Internal Auditor • Revenue Accounting/Collections Assistant • Interline Analyst • Claims Analyst/Administrative Assistant • Billing & Data Entry- 2nd Shift

151 days ago

Culture
This past Saturday, we invited all of the Dayton Freight Driver Reps to Corporate for an in-person Driver Rep meeting. This annual meeting is a great time to hear from our Drivers on the opportunities we have to grow! We also used this time to announce our new pay scale, which was a company record high. Local Drivers will start at Top of Scale, $31.20/HR and Linehaul Drivers at $0.74/Mile. Thank you to everyone who joined us, we are happy to see our employees in-person and together again!
Shared image

Dayton Freight Photos

+ Add Photo
Dayton Freight photo of: Dayton Freight
Dayton Freight photo of: Team work on the Dayton Freight Dock.
Dayton Freight photo of: Come join our growing team!
Dayton Freight photo of: A team of our Drivers!
Dayton Freight photo of: Our break room is somewhere you can catch up with co-workers throughout the day.
Dayton Freight photo of: Our Dock is a great place to learn about how Dayton Freight and the industry work!
Dayton Freight photo of: Join our team of professionals today!

Expert Career Advice