Daytop Village Reviews | Glassdoor

2.4
Mike Dailey

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Not the worst"

Pros

great chef, credentialed therapists, credentialed case managers, overall positive people to work with, ropes course, pool, indoor and outdoor basketball court, school on site.

Cons

Advice to Management

level of care not often appropriate for clientele being referred to program, high psychiatric needs at the wrong level of care. Your resources are being exhausted to try and keep up with the intolerable kids you guys are accepting that is ruining your reputation and facilities.

2. "Casemanager"

Former Employee - Rehabilitation Case Manager in Pittsgrove, NJ
    Former Employee - Rehabilitation Case Manager in Pittsgrove, NJ

Pros

You could really make a change in a kids life. You build attachments with the kids. You get to advocate for the youth. You work at your own pase.

Cons

There are alot of people that are power hauls. They don't really care about the kids, they find any reason to stop the kids from going home. Unification of the family is not important to them. They love to play bad cops. The therapist barely spend time with the kids, but makes executive decisions over them. As a casemanager I felt like I played both roles cm and therapist. We ran so many groups that we barely had time to do our casemanagement work. Some of the directors loved to denagrade the employees.

Advice to Management

Change the directors, and Really Have The Kids Interest At heart.

3. "Hopefully better since "merging" with Samaritan Village"

Former Employee - Substance Abuse Counselor in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Substance Abuse Counselor in New York, NY

I worked at Daytop Village full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It was close to home; had fair amount of autonomy; loved my clients! Especially lucky to have worked with the consultant who liaised with BOP and Federal Probation contracts. Learned a ton and made good connections

Cons

Too many to list! I have met many people who have worked at Daytop going back 20 years and they all say the same things about working there and I concur. I was there when the company was still in negotiations with Samaritan and left before the deal was finalized. It was a very unstable time there plus a a lot of the time was spent preparing for an OASAS audit. The audit done the year before I got there was really bad, so we had to go in and fix every single chart. Created problems getting current work done; had to cancel clients; ended up doing or finishing other peoples' work because they barely could do the client work and had trouble learning how charts were supposed to look. All Management's fault because what they wanted wasn't communicated, so, unless you already knew how to audit charts and audit them aimed at "highlighting" certain areas, you would end up being someone else's problem - this is when i started to burnout, which was just in time to become the de facto supervisor. Not acknowledged for doing the extra work by a "thank you," so no salary bump, recognition or even a few less clients.

Advice to Management

I don't know what has changed since the takeover, but I'm hoping that Samaritan village is living up to the good rep that former employees have said about working there. As long as the last vestiges of Daytop's old regime is gone and the newer program directors that were hired around the same time I was (2013) are also gone, things may have turned around in those outpatients programs that weren't closed

4. "not bad"

Pros

Working alone and learning new skills. Meeting new people.

Cons

The pay and no medical insurance.

5. "More Cons than Pros"

Pros

Good people. Flexible schedule. Hour lunch

Cons

Bad pay, poor management. Poorer executive management

Advice to Management

Actually manage

6. "Practice Administrator"

Former Employee - Practice Administrator in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Practice Administrator in New York, NY

Pros

Fantastic dedicated co-workers to work with.

Cons

Agency closing, another merger. Community suffered with loosing this residential facility

Advice to Management

Live within your means, better control of inventory and supplies, work within budgets

7. "Over Night Counselor"

Former Employee - Over Night Counselor in Millbrook, NY
    Former Employee - Over Night Counselor in Millbrook, NY

Pros

The experience working with the kids

Cons

The Environment and Lack of communication from other staff members

Advice to Management

Encourage more communication with staffing along with a more comfortable,safe and enjoyable for not only staff to work but also for the residents that live there.

8. "Good company that a bad thing happen to it."

Former Employee - House Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - House Manager in New York, NY

I worked at Daytop Village full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very good company to work for.

Cons

They were fforced to merge with another company.

Advice to Management

I don't think my advise would be considered because I was a low level employee,and their in lies the problem.

9. "Clinic Account Specialist"

I worked at Daytop Village full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great staff, which often goes beyond the call of duty. Friendly atmosphere, however for servere substance abuse, a different treatment center is highly recommended.

Cons

Very poor company, no pay raises or yearly increases, you can brarely get office supplies. Not a clear vision of where the company is going or even where you are as an employee. There is no job sercurity working for this company!

10. "Daytop was a pioneer in the field of Substance Abuse. It was a place to to learn and grow."

Pros

Daytop was once a great company to work for.

Cons

There is no room for advancement.