DeVero Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.3
Steve Randesi

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Best experience of my career!"

I have been working at DeVero full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Leadership team is driven to succeed and focused on empowering employees to develop their career. I feel respected by leadership and enjoy the challenging environment. Management is transparent and hold frequent all hands meetings to keep the company up to date. The culture and people here are what truly make the company great. We all work really hard here and are rewarded accordingly. I especially appreciate the end of year bonus and frequent performance/comp reviews. My professional growth here over the last 2 years has been tremendous and the best work experience I could ask for.

Cons

DeVero made great improvements to health benefits in 2017, looking forward to a 401k enhancement to complete the package.

Advice to Management

Keep focused on 2017 OKR’s and continue to hold employees accountable. I appreciate the transparency. Keep telling us the truth, good or bad.

2. "Lot of uncertainty after acquisition stay away"

I worked at DeVero full-time

Pros

1. Good technology stack.
    2. Good time to be a part of the sales team.

Cons

1. There is a lot of uncertainty after the acquisition about the product and the CEO mentioned about it being a grey area in one of the all hands.
    2. Netsmart the company that acquired devero only seems to be concerned about the customers.
    3. Key engineering team members have left or are in the process of leaving.
    4. Admin department may be in transition.

"Worst job I've ever had. Do NOT work here. I didn't take the reviews here seriously and paid the ultimate price."

I worked at DeVero full-time

Pros

- I got a paycheck on-time every couple weeks.

- There are definitely a few very good individual contributors (and one good, skilled, earned-their-chops-the-real-way manager), but they leave or get let go more often than not.

Cons

- Constant cost-cutting efforts undermine the stability of the product by laying off/firing engineers that question management and downsizing infrastructure.

- Security and compliance concerns are brushed aside regularly. I can't go into more detail about that.

- Management designs stuff in closed door meetings, and dumps it on your desk to implement with unrealistic timelines, not to mention half the time it's just not the right approach. Don't question it though, or you'll have a target on your back!

- Anything that could fix issues or make your job better needs to be a "homework project" if it doesn't align with current sprint goals (aka management's weekly whims). That means you do the work on your own time.

- Be prepared to get pulled into each and every Production issue, even if you're not on-call. The pool of engineers is so small, it's constantly an "all hands on deck" situation when the product inevitably collapses in on itself every few days.

- If you're not part of the family (either blood related, or been with the company for 7+ years) you are not considered important. You suggestions will be ignored.

- You'll stop being asked to participate in meetings if you question a "family member" or bring up anything that resembles opposing their viewpoint.

- Any concerns about my job I brought to my manager during our 1-on-1's (of which I think I had maybe one every quarter) were refuted because THEIR situation was MUCH worse than mine. 1-on-1's with them ended up being more like counseling sessions for them than working out concerns I had about work.

- My SO told me several times to quit, even though I had no job prospects lined up.
     "Don't worry about money, you just have to get out of there! That place is terrible!" That's how bad it was.

- The job description you've been presented is almost completely lies. No matter which one it is. Seriously.

Advice to Management

Leave. Let some people that know what they're doing take over. Except for that one experienced manager (you know who you are).

"Know what you are getting into and be prepared."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

I worked at DeVero full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Employees (non-management) are a great people to work with, very collaborative and have great potential.

Cons

The company is run by a family, all high positions are held by some or the other family member, but that not an issue at all. The issue is, has zero commitment towards its employee. The management (family) is extremely short sighted and believes in using and throwing its employees, to overcome the consequences of their short sightedness.
    This is how they work: Looks like they don’t have enough and constant investment to fuel the plans and resources. So they hire people with high skill sets and then use them to get the projects completed on a rapid pace or set the processes and as soon as it gets to cruise mode they let them go without any prior warning, notice or appropriate compensation. They label the lay offs as “performance issue”, for which they never provide any prior warning or feedback, which makes it worse. The opinion I shared isn’t based on a single event, this seems to be a pattern the company follows often. This practice creates a very toxic and insecure work environment for the employees.
    It’s common for a start up to highly rely on investment and other fund raising activities for supporting their operations and resources cost. But if you are so short on funds and still need the high skill set talent to get the work done and for the company to succeed, hire them on contract basis and terminate or extent the contracts based on the funding situation. That’s what all ethical and mature companies do, instead of using and penalizing their employees for their lack of planning and vision.
    So bottom line is, if you are looking to work in a healthy and secure environment and for company that values and cares even slightly for its employees don’t even think about joining them.

Advice to Management

Do what a real business would do, stop using your employees. Don’t forget that employees make a company and you need to create a healthy and safe work environment for your employees, in order for you to succeed. Don’t hire people fulltime, if you don’t have the money, be honest and hire on contract and revise their contracts based on the funding available.

"Engineering is mess"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

I have been working at DeVero full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- aws infrastructure, java
    - easy to be a superstar in the mediocre pool
    - office in San Jose downtown

Cons

- inexperienced and bureaucratic engineering executives
    - no s/w architects, leads are not technically sound
    - all good projects (microservices, mobile, UI) outsourced from offshore team in India that leaves fixing bugs in legacy application to the onsite team
    - sprints are terrible run by non-technical folks, devs have no word to say
    - ping pong ladder on the job site is a gimmick, nobody plays it
    - below the market salary, no stock options, no fixed bonus structure
     - high turnover rate among devs and ops

Advice to Management

- fix the engineering culture by promoting right people and not hiring mediocre engineers
    - foster good talent and not bureaucrats

"DeVero is amazing!"

Current Employee - Account Executive in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Seattle, WA

I have been working at DeVero full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I have worked in this industry for many years and DeVero is by far the best company I have ever worked for! They value their team and everyone's contribution. Management is always looking to enhance the Customer and Staff experience. If you want to work for a company with integrity DeVero is for you!

Cons

I work remotely so the only "Con" I can think of is...I wished I lived closer so I could spend more time with my team. Everyone encourages each other to do our very best every day.

"Account Executive"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

I have been working at DeVero full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Selling the best solution in the industry is incredible. Extremely supportive team environment. Everyone works hard, but it is noticed and appreciated by management. DeVero has grown rapidly and they moved to a beautiful modern building. Fully stocked kitchen!

Cons

Too much great food in kitchen. Be prepared to put on a few pounds.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing! Can't wait to see what the next 10 years hold.

"Sales"

Current Employee - Sales in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Sales in San Jose, CA

I have been working at DeVero full-time (More than a year)

Pros

DeVero offers work life balance in a transparent and collaborative environment. Sales managers lead by example and drive our team towards realistic goals with all the tools and support to meet them. The management team truly has your best interest.

Cons

Hard to find any cons. If you're driven, a hard worker and want to work for a company that values their employees than DeVero is a great choice!

"Good people, okay product, little trust in employees"

I worked at DeVero full-time

Pros

- Well-stocked kitchen and good office space and location
    - Lots of good people despite problems
    - CEO is a good person

Cons

- High turnover
    - Need prior home health experience or knowledge to really succeed
    - Expect to devote much of your time and mental energy into doing "busywork"

Advice to Management

Focus more on motivating your teams to be more engaged and to prevent burnout. "Collaboration" seemed very forced or superficial here.

10. "Great people..."

Pros

Great, family run business with upward trajectory.

Cons

Reactive instead of proactive product enhancements