DeVries Global Reviews in New York City, NY | Glassdoor

4.1
Rating Trends Rating Trends
DeVries Global CEO Heidi Hovland
Heidi Hovland

Pros
  • excellent work/life balance flexibility; very unique in this industry (in 6 reviews)

• the only good thing was having 20 days of pto and free food in the kitchen that was leftover from meetings (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • work/life balance is quite terrible and the benefit is not that great (in 6 reviews)

• living in new york solely on an ac/jae devries salary is impossible (in 3 reviews)

1. "Small but fierce agency to work for"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at DeVries Global (Less than a year)

Pros

- true to its culture of being highly creative, inquisitive, entrepreneurial, collaborative, and cutting edge; all ideas are welcome
    - people are passionate and dedicated to doing impactful, innovative work
    - incredibly nice environment; friendly, down-to-earth, approachable group
    - good balance of new and long-tenured leadership that creates an interesting push/pull dynamic that challenges the status quo in a healthy way
    - excellent work/life balance flexibility; very unique in this industry!

Cons

I didn't realize how great the DeVries work environment was until I got here. The agency can do a better job of highlighting what makes DeVries unique among its competitors. We need to stand out as an employer of choice.

Advice to Management

Keep winning new business and continue rocking it! Don't get comfortable.

2. "Great perks, fun work, low pay"

I worked at DeVries Global as an intern

Pros

It was a dream job for me, I loved what I did so it didn't always feel like work.

Free beauty products, free food, mani mondays, masseuse sometimes comes to office, great holiday parties, lively young teams/coworkers, usually promote within

Cons

VERY long hours sometimes, very low pay (so low to qualify for full stamps if interning full-time), no pto/sick days for interns, only able to hire full time if opportunity is available otherwise you're in and out (it doesn't matter how hard you work)

Advice to Management

Try to better manage work/life balance

Apr 24, 2017 – EVP

Thank you for your feedback and we’re glad you had an overall positive experience. We’d like to address some of your cons. In terms of pay, we offer a competitive hourly wage for our interns. We also ... More

"Decent company, but not the greatest"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at DeVries Global (Less than a year)

Pros

If you work hard, you'll definitely be noticed! The company is a really nice size — not too big, not too small — so it's not overwhelming, but also not suffocating. You'll recognize everyone at the company even if you don't know their names. Work parties and happy hours are fun because the CEO and other executives always make a point of highlighting other people's achievements and celebrating them consistently. I thought this was pretty great about DeVries!

The free coffee bar in the building and nice office space is also a solid pro.

Cons

DeVries is definitely a very cliquey environment, skewing towards a majority of white women who used to be in sororities in college. I'm not making a value judgment on this because it's neither good nor bad, but it creates a very specific kind of company culture. If you don't mind this and can fit in, then it's a pretty fun place to work! But if this is not your thing, then I would advise you to go elsewhere.

The pay is also not that competitive; you could definitely get paid more at another PR agency.

DeVries is definitely not the trendiest PR agency nor most up to date in the industry, but it's a solid place to work if you don't care about working in the coolest office or most innovative people in the industry.

Advice to Management

Invest in your creative team!

Apr 19, 2017 – EVP

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. We are committed to creating a friendly, inclusive and collaborative environment throughout our agency, so employees are always encouraged to ... More

4. "Amazing Place to Learn and Work with Talented, Smart People"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at DeVries Global full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Everyone is friendly, passionate and committed to producing exceptional work
    - Great working environment (Lunch & Learns, Monthly happy hours, manicure Monday's, etc)
    -Collaborative and open working space
    -Exciting brands/client campaigns
    - management is approachable and easy to talk to

Cons

-Work balance could be a bit better, but this is standard in PR as it's not a 9 to 5 kind of job.

Advice to Management

Promote the company more on social media, show off the exciting work we're doing!

5. "Nice place to work, smart staff"

Former Employee - Account Executive in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Account Executive in New York, NY

Pros

Fun environment, smart staff, lots of opportunities to grow

Cons

It often felt like the teams were very senior staff heavy and didn't have as much junior staff for support

Advice to Management

None that I can think of

6. "Great place to work!"

I have been working at DeVries Global full-time

Pros

-Friendly, approachable people
    -Non-hierarchical
    -Great benefits (WFH, work-life balance, a lot of PTO, summer Fridays, etc.)
    -Good culture overall

Cons

There's not a strong vision by leadership which doesn't allow for a winning atmosphere. There's also a lack of diversity as with most PR agencies.

Advice to Management

Keep people updated about what's happening in the agency. Do PR for the agency as well as you do for clients! Listen more to feedback.

7. "PR Intern"

Former Employee - Public Relations Intern in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Public Relations Intern in New York, NY

I worked at DeVries Global (Less than a year)

Pros

worked on a variety of projects and products
    friendly work environment
    free coffee
    direct mentor

Cons

sometimes there were not enough projects
    not an exceeding amount of responsibility
    small stipend

8. "Wonderful company to work for!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at DeVries Global (More than 5 years)

Pros

The people at DeVries are very friendly and contribute to the great, fun and laid back atmosphere at the office. There is respect between colleagues, which is very important.

Cons

Less career growth for supporting departments.

Advice to Management

Share more of what goes on at the top with the rest of the staff so that they feel included and in the know.

"I've never had a worse job experience"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at DeVries Global full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

oh boy thinking of pros of working at devries is really tough. it was such an awful place. the only good thing was having 20 days of pto and free food in the kitchen that was leftover from meetings.

Cons

the pay is a joke; it's substantially lower than what is offered at devries' competitors. it's nearly impossible to survive on a junior employee salary in new york city without outside help. the room for growth is negligible. upper management is so out of touch with the junior employees - those who are doing the work that supports the whole firm. i've never encountered more ungrateful, selfish and arrogant senior employees. i was also bullied by the members of my account team. i caught them talking about me behind my back in emails and im messages; there was absolutely no support. if your team doesn't like you, they'll try to push you out. the other account coordinators, junior account executives, account executives and senior account executives were so mean to each other and constantly trying to point out mistakes and errors each other made to make themselves look good.
    it was the most TOXIC work environment i've ever been in and i couldn't be happier to be out of there.

Advice to Management

increase junior employees' salary to a livable wage. when i was there, account coordinators made only slightly higher than minimum wage in new york.

merge into a better, more stable pr firm with nicer people.

Apr 8, 2016 – EVP

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback and we are sorry to hear that your experience was not positive. We are committed to creating a supportive environment throughout our agency ... More

10. "PR intern"

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in New York, NY

I worked at DeVries Global as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Engaging co-workers, diverse tasks, learn PR software, work on a variety of accounts, lunchtime seminars

Cons

Sometimes the hours are unpredictable