DeVry Education Group Admissions Advisor Reviews | Glassdoor

Admissions Advisor

Lisa Warner Wardell

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • No room for growth within this company and the organization is going through multiple lay-offs (in 10 reviews)

• No focus on people anymore just on the CIO looking good to upper management with bogus made up metrics (in 15 reviews)

1. "Good Stepping stone for a career right out of college"

Former Employee - Admissions Advisor

Pros

Great team environment
    work with lots of great people
    continuous training, they are good about investing in their employees
    Growth within the Company

Cons

required to work one Saturday a month

"Admissions"

Former Employee - Admissions Advisor

Pros

Great office space in downtown chicago.

Cons

No clear direction for the line of business, sort of fly on the wall see what sticks mentality.

Advice to Management

Pray.

3. "Senior Admissions Advisor"

Former Employee - Senior Admissions Advisor in Naperville, IL
    Former Employee - Senior Admissions Advisor in Naperville, IL

I worked at DeVry Education Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great experience, world-class training, wonderful co-workers, deeply discounted education for yourself &/or for your family.

Cons

Culture was pretty terrible when I left. Employees were not motivated to do quality work, they promoted based on proficiency in role rather than leadership potential which meant they had a bunch of inept leaders at the helm who knew how to do the job of the persons they were managing but didn't know how to lead them or train them to do the same.

Advice to Management

Listen to your people. Let them help you to lead more effectively. Delegate small responsibilities to senior reps and let them help you/give them opportunities to grow.

4. "Executive Admissions Advisor"

Current Employee - Executive Admissions Advisor | Mentor in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Executive Admissions Advisor | Mentor in Chicago, IL

I have been working at DeVry Education Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Competitive salary, good work environment

Cons

Limited growth opportunities within the company

"Worst career move you will ever make! Unrespected company, ZERO promotions, Annual layoffs, Pretentious Management"

Former Employee - Admissions Advisor in Long Beach, CA
    Former Employee - Admissions Advisor in Long Beach, CA

I worked at DeVry Education Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Worked with a lot of great co-workers and developed many long-term friendships. Also, the benefits were fairly decent in regards to the medical.

Cons

This is one of the worst companies that I have ever worked for. I transferred to Devry Long Beach from another DVU location thinking that this would be a great career move. Little did I know that I would soon regret my decision.

At first, I was very pleased with the staff and thought that everything was wonderful. As time passed I started to notice some major things about management. They would smile to your face, ask about your family, and not hesitate to throw you under the bus. The Higher level managers were pretentious and more concerned about being a "boss" rather than a "leader". They never took accountability and always pointed the blame to their easily disposable employees. They were obsessed with being in control and would consistently apply scare tactics & hang your job over your head. Their sole purpose was to break you down so you would feel like you were not worthy enough.

This management style took a HUGE hit on the morale of the team. I never worked in a place where EVERYONE was stressed and unexcited about their jobs. There was a enormous amount of turnover, layoffs, and people going onto stress leave. Within 3 months of starting my job in Long Beach we went from 4 directors of admissions to 1, 3 admissions reps were given the boot, 1 dean resigned, 3 success coaches also resigned, 1 student finance coach resigned and also the student central manager!! 11 people leaving or being laid off from the company in 3 months?! Within my first year we also had an additional 4 admissions advisors go on stress leave and that doesn’t even include the other departments. By the next year, we had another one of our annual layoffs and 7 advisors were let go and 1 director of admissions. Making it grand total of almost over 20 people gone in a year!!

Still interested in working here??

They wouldn’t give promotions if you were short of amazing and purposely coded the annual reviews 2/5 so they didn’t have to give raises. There were employees there for over 5 years who NEVER got a pay raise. Why stay there for 5 years, you ask? Well, no one respects someone with Devry on their resume. It is one of the most unrespected institutions and recruiters will pass by your resume without hesitation. Bottom line, Your career will die with this company unless you lie on your resume or switch careers (which I've done).

Advice to Management

Take accountability and respect your employees. No one wants to work for a boss, they want to follow a leader! The obsession over control and applying scare tactics has consistently given you the opposite results.

6. "Admissions Advisor"

Current Employee - Admissions Advisor in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Admissions Advisor in Columbus, OH

I have been working at DeVry Education Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great team of advisors/director to work with.
    40 hour work week, somewhat flexible
    Rewarding to work with college students and seeing them graduate with a degree.
    Daily schedule is always different.
    Upper Management/Administrators are approachable and great to work with.

Cons

Constant changing environment and processes. (not always a bad thing though)
    Initial training & Modules were not great and had to learn a lot on my own or by asking a lot of questions.
    A lot of information to learn for compliance & programs offered/locations offered.

Advice to Management

Create better training modules for new hires with more focus on program knowledge specific to location offerings. Spend more time working 1 on 1 with director during initial training, to fully explain process and program offerings. Create a SF training module that allows the ability to work within SF to practice daily plans, search criteria, completing applications and other steps within the admissions process. This took a lot of time to become comfortable with and required a lot of self training/questions to do properly.

7. "Great job, but lots of work in a tough market."

Former Employee - Senior Admissions Advisor in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Senior Admissions Advisor in Chicago, IL

I worked at DeVry Education Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The company wants all of the employees to grow even if that is not with DeVry. Lots of trainings and programs offered.

Working with students can be difficult, but if you are good at problem solving the job can be very easy.

Cons

DeVry is an over priced school with lots of cheaper alternatives. The school is trying to position itself as a "better" investment" but all students hear is more money. Need to change business model to adapt.

Advice to Management

Lower tuition.

"Good school, bad recruiting policy"

Former Employee - Admissions Advisor in Naperville, IL
    Former Employee - Admissions Advisor in Naperville, IL

I worked at DeVry Education Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits including free education.

Cons

Lots of pressure to enroll students whether they belonged in school or not. Management plays favorites and gives certain people better leads.

Advice to Management

Be more honest with your employees.

"Exceptional company to work for"

Former Employee - Admissions Advisor in Wood Dale, IL
    Former Employee - Admissions Advisor in Wood Dale, IL

I worked at DeVry Education Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Working for Devry Inc was a great experience to say the least. Exceptional leadership, training programs.

Cons

The possibility of moving up in the company seemed to be a task and a half. The management that was around was exceptional and did not move out of their position for years.

Advice to Management

None

"Earn a Degree While you Work B to C"

Current Employee - Senior Admissions Advisor in Addison, IL
    Current Employee - Senior Admissions Advisor in Addison, IL

I have been working at DeVry Education Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The company provides a stable work environment and offers a tuition assistance program that is truly remarkable (covering undergrad and grad coursework). If you do your job and meet and/or exceed expectations, it's a pretty 'hands off' management style.

Cons

Micromanaging is a concern and the room for interdepartmental growth is limited. If you accept a position in admissions with hopes of transferring to a different department... good luck.