DeVry Education Group Reviews | Glassdoor

Lisa Warner Wardell
1 Rating

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • While the flexible work schedule is appreciated, the amount of work is unrealistic to maintain a healthy work-life balance (in 9 reviews)

• No focus on people anymore just on the CIO looking good to upper management with bogus made up metrics (in 15 reviews)

"Who moved my Cheese?"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oakbrook Terrace, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oakbrook Terrace, IL

I worked at DeVry Education Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

DeVry used to care about it's employees - Leadership genuinely wanted to see strong teams succeed. They used to have celebrations throughout the year to celebrate the company as a team - changing the culture to think of employees as colleagues instead of levels. Flexible work arrangements, 'dress for your day' program

Cons

With the shifting winds in for-profit education and the profitability forecasts since now everyone can offer online learning; DeVry failed to revitalize their niche and continued with 'status quo' that caused them to become obsolete. New CEO wants each school to prove themselves from a profitability perspective - this has produced an 'every man for themselves' existence.
    People are constantly trying to justify their existence but finding fault with individuals which has created a very toxic, stressful, and mind numbing environment.

Advice to Management

Get back to the roots of Bell & Howell & Devry as a top notch technical university. Instead of saying you have heart be the heart that beats for it's students and colleagues again. Listen to your teams and innovate based on their suggestions they are the future. Set one focused direction to get back to what you were good at and make DeVry great again.

"Helpdesk Analyst"

Pros

I did not see any pros working there.

Cons

They have a plan to how to fire employees. There is a lot of discrimination going on.

"Run"

I worked at DeVry Education Group full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Nice benefits and vacation policies and work/life balance.

Cons

In order to move within company you must be willing to get your nose brown. Company and management plays favorites. Laid employees off without concern for tenure or knowledge. Simply cutting costs. Poor management.

"Wrong Direction"

I have been working at DeVry Education Group full-time

Pros

Benefits and work life balance

Cons

Low morale, Senior management does not listen to their employees

"No True Forward Direction"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oak Brook, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oak Brook, IL

I have been working at DeVry Education Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Colleagues for the most part are good to work with, but can be territorial about projects.

Cons

Leadership, is that's what it wants to be called is constantly focusing on what the new way to meet the bottom line that no true process have been developed. Favoritism is very prominent here and when its mentioned, the threat of disciplinary action is the only way to silence people. At one point this place meant more than just a pay check. It meant being able to assist with enriching students by helping them achieve their goals of getting a degree, but after 7 years here I can say that the ideal of that has gone away and replaced by the almighty dollar. Advancement opportunities are dismal at best. When applying for a position you are questioned why you feel you deserve a change in pay grade. that's not how to interview for a position. Its based on skills learned internally that makes a person stand out from external candidates. I could carry on with this, but feel that this might fall on deaf ears. Unfortunately, my days are numbered here and I feel that anyone who comes to work here should keep an eye out for the inevitable and constant restructuring that happen here every 6 months.

Advice to Management

Work on a resilient infrastructure and stop looking at every new toy that is presented to you. Shamefully, decision making is done blindly and no true forward thinking is done when the decisions are made for the betterment of the organization and the students it impacts.

"Toxic work environment"

I worked at DeVry Education Group full-time

Pros

As an individual contributor you can excel in this company. If you are extremely flexible, quick and can keep up with the rapidly changing tides, you can expect to grow very quickly. Compensation/ benefits are competitive .

Cons

Management seems to have no clue what goal they are working towards. They keep changing directions and expect everyone to be onboard quickly. This leads to confusion, anxiety and poor management at the lower level. Work environment is toxic since everyone is worried about job security in the unpredictable company environment which leads to very little collaboration and teamwork.

Advice to Management

Review your management style and people in leadership rolea. Hanging on to bad managers and getting rid of good employees will not help the company in the long run. Change the culture by practice and not by changing nomanclature you use in your communications. Once the reputation is lost- its hard to regain.

"Unethical firm, but with new CEO there is some hope?"

Former Employee - Director
    Former Employee - Director

I worked at DeVry Education Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Obtained deep knowledge about Oracle, Sungard, Cognos,Sharepoint, Blackboard, and the multitude of software cloud services that they use (but are separate/discrete systems which created nightmares). Young people may learn something here, but be cautious that you don't sell your soul, maintain your ethics.

Cons

Ironically, they know nothing about IT or governance. The organizational design created excessive secrecy, poor communication, duplication of effort, poor processing, competition among groups. Auditing is completely lacking which is crazy because they own a great CPA-test-prep firm, Becker. Upper level HR leadership is either clueless or knowingly exploitative.

Advice to Management

Well, at least you canned Hamburger, Riehs, and the corporate attorney..... Good start.

8. "Ok company"

I have been working at DeVry Education Group full-time

Pros

Flexible work schedule at home, if manager approves

Cons

Too much regulation and too many conflicting decision makers

Advice to Management

Remove Barriers

"Don't Do It!!!"

Former Employee - Manager in Downers Grove, IL
    Former Employee - Manager in Downers Grove, IL

I worked at DeVry Education Group full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Benefits were good. Some people cared about your well being and success.

Cons

I worked for DVG for 13 years and was very under paid, overworked and disrespected. I was informed I was not even making the min for my pay grade. They did nothing to bring me to where I needed to be. Management and hr was very unprofessional when discussing advancement opportunities. Had to work tons of OT to try and meet objectives at the sacrifice of spending time with my child.

Advice to Management

Wake up and realize the amount of work is too much for the staff the budget allows. Evaluate your HR policies that are not followed. There is a lot of favoritism going on. Evaluate how your managers are treating people since it is unprofessional especially to discuss individual performance at a department meeting.

"Not applicable"

I have been working at DeVry Education Group full-time

Pros

Flexible, good 401k match,

Cons

bottom line focused, home office management